What's new

The FreakShow 2vs2 Tournament Archives

Hey everyone -- just wanted to to drop a note here about this event! We ran the first one this past weekend, and it was an absolute blast. The format is 2vs2, PS4 -- so you pick a partner, and play a mini-team set for each opponent, with the team that eliminates both players on the other team moving on. Here's the entire tournament from the weekend:

Slayer and BlakLvesMatter are hosting/commentating, and the energy is great.

So the next one is coming up in two weeks (Saturday the 17th), and if you're interested (and on PS4, which I assume most of you are), you can grab a partner and register here:

Anyway, I really enjoyed the positive energy from this first go-around, and there are a lot of good players playing. I may or may not be around to run the bracket for the next one, but if you have any questions you can hit me up, or message Slayer on Twitter.

Comments

Here's the archive of week two -- we had: SonicFox, NinjaKilla, Semij, Tweedy, Deoxys, SylverRye, Avirk, Fullauto, Koisy, Gambler, Saucy, and more.. Imo is was probably one of the most stacked tournaments, if not the most, since Final Kombat.

Anyway, there are some incredible sets in the archive, so it's worth a look.

38 teams this week, 30 last week -- if you guys want to play, and you have a partner you'd like to team up with, there's guaranteed pot for each edition and it's free.

I just opened the signup for Week 3, in two weeks, on Sunday, Nov. 1st: https://smash.gg/tournament/the-freakshow-2vs2/event/the-freakshow-2v2-week-3-125-starting-pot/overview -- so if you're around, come play or hang!

So among the fun we have:
  • A broken team with Sonicfox and Ninjakilla
  • A robot/scientist team with Semij and Kombat
  • A brothers team with Honeybee and Biohazard
  • A kabal duo with Curbolicous and LoveThoughts
  • A footsies squad with Tweedy and Fullauto
  • The new school demons team with Jueks and Wizegemini
  • A Shao squad with Soulwarrior and Outworld
  • A kombat cup killers team with Kevodaman and Scar
  • Grr and SylverRye still looking for teammates
.. and more, haha. I think 'lit' is gonna be an understatement :D

since kross-platform is possible, could xbox players join the tournament?
Since Krossplay only works with certain rooms and versus, and we need to create King of the Hills for the tournament, it’s locked to PS4. But if Netherrealm updates the way it works in the future (say, with the Ultimate patch) then it’s something we could always consider for upcoming editions of the tourney.

Realistically though, since most people add/invite each other directly by (PSN) ID, and also communicate with opponents using the PSN chat, it would make things a lot more complicated for everybody.

While every player that NK faced is really really good, no one compares to Kombat. Kombat gives NK competition to like no other.
What I'm really excited about was the fact that, although a lot of people were thinking "Ninja and Sonic together? Oh this will be free!" (and I think it's natural to think that), this tourney was highly competitive throughout top 8.

To think that the entire thing came down to the last round, last set with Kombat is pretty crazy.

We could not have asked for a better event or better matches. Much love to everybody who tuned in.

We're back!!

Just opened the signups for Week 4 -- and in the fourth week (Sunday Nov. 15th), in preparation for the upcoming Ultimate patch, we're going to have a Customs tournament; which means all kinds of mayhem will probably ensue. Let's go!!!

Looking forward to this, on the hunt for a partner for this.

Jade and Baraka's new groove!

Also, what the hell was that tech were Ninja would throw a low fireball with Liu Kang at Kabal to punish his air projectile and follow up with a hit confirm? That was some of the wildest-nuttiest stuff I've seen in this game. Like damn, how much did I miss out haha

Also, what the hell was that tech were Ninja would throw a low fireball with Liu Kang at Kabal to punish his air projectile and follow up with a hit confirm? That was some of the wildest-nuttiest stuff I've seen in this game. Like damn, how much did I miss out haha
Dude, right? We've seen some absolutely crazy stuff from Ninja in the past, but he somehow manages to still find new little things to give himself the advantage in every possible little situation.

The whole scene has been leveling up lately and it was really showing up all over the place today.