What's new

The Footsie/Poke System in Mortal Kombat 11 Explained (Video)

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
This video goes over the basics of how the footsie and poke system works in MK11.

The game has changed a ton since MKX so I think the video is a good start off point for people trying to understand how to maximize offense and defense.

There is a TON of potential for depth in this game with this system putting importance on D1s and D4s.

Even the matchups between the three characters in the stress test are multi-dimensional thanks to how the poke meta works even at a basic level.

Last edited by a moderator:

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Mortal Kombat 11 is right around the corner. I've been super inspired by the direction the new meta is going, so I decided to make a video detailing the basics of how the footsie and poke system work.

No game is going to be perfect right out of the gate, but with the way the footsies work in this game, I'm extremely hopeful for the game's future.

There is a TON of potential for depth in this game. Even the matchups between the three characters in the stress test are multi-dimensional.

I believe that there is going to be room for a lot of creativity in playstyles and that player's will be able to showcase their personalities more through their play too.

That is honestly the mark of a well made game imo.

What are everyone else's thoughts on how the game is primarily focused on footsies now?
I'm with you on what you call the Poke War. It does foster creativity and mind games which I think is awesome. Personally I favor pokes not granting follow up on hit unless it's a fast move that doesn't launch.
All in all I like the direction the game is going being neutral focused. I only have a few concerns like Flawless Block granting launch and breakaway grating full combo when done on high recovery specials.

I'm hoping most moves stay honest in the sense strong launchers/mix-ups have high risk.

To elaborte I'm fine with a D1 granting follow up on hit but not with slow powerful mids that foster high damage and advantage in neutral. I haven't seen much if this happening in the OST but an example of it is scorpions command move used after his low step in move making it plus on block. Stuff like that foster repetitive gameplay and take away from balance. I'm excited to see how cancels are used later on maybe being honest but not too advantageous.

Firstly, well done on the video and well said! Now... I love that this game is more footsie based. MKX was... kinda overkill, to say the least. It was a little fun, but MK11 is a much welcome change of pace for me. I just appreciate that NRS are making a game with more attention towards player to player interaction. There wasn't much fun in getting tossed into a blender 2-3 times a round until you're staring at the rematch screen in MKX. In this game, you're simply either gonna have good fundamentals or you're gonna lose.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
great video, dude ! Are you cheering for Kano being a footsie monster too ? For what I see, in this game, finally he looks less dependent of special moves, and more scary on using normal combos strings .... :D
I've been studying the Kano beta build frame data A TON lol. He's definitely going to be play closest to how Baraka plays (up close & footsies heavy) but way different.

I just hope his his ranged high F12 has decent pushback on block so he could walk back and whiff punish afterwards.

I'm so fucking hype for him that it's unhealthy.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I've been studying the Kano beta build frame data A TON lol. He's definitely going to be play closest to how Baraka plays (up close & footsies heavy) but way different.

I just hope his his ranged high F12 has decent pushback on block so he could walk back and whiff punish afterwards.

I'm so fucking hype for him that it's unhealthy.
Let us Kano fans rejoice! He will be glorious and make all the non-black Dragons jealous.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Great video dude.

One bit of constructive criticism... I found the music a little too loud and distracting. I'm not seeing anyone else talk about it though so maybe it's just me.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Great video dude.

One bit of constructive criticism... I found the music a little too loud and distracting. I'm not seeing anyone else talk about it though so maybe it's just me.
Yea, retrospect is a bitch lol. Only once hearing it on headphones this morning did I realize that too. Either way, it doesn't matter much. I'm not an youtuber so not many people will watch this. I just went to film school and find editing fun.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I've noticed that pokes have a lot of importance in this game, should be fun.

Pokey Kombat!!!

lol in all seriousness, great video man! I like this Circus dude, very helpful vid! That ending also lmao.

SINGH E

Noob
I loved the vid, very insightful, I just subscribed to your channel. Looking forward to seeing your future content on MK11. Keep up the good work!!!

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
What isn't mentioned in the video is the fact that there might end up being some characters that have a short jump overhead that might reach a little further than D1 range.

This means that those characters would have an extra option to beat out D4s when pushed out of D1 range. I didn't mention it because it's not universal.

I'm wondering if characters with an air projectile could do it from a short jump..... that'd be sick af.

Can you post a link? I cant watch it here i dont know why
youtube.com/watch?v=-Hh1mW8gOB0

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
What I didn't mention in the video too is the fact that there might end up being some characters that have a short jump overhead that might reach a little further than D1 range.

This means that those characters would have an extra option to beat out D4s when pushed out of D1 range.

I'm wondering if characters with an air projectile could do it from a short jump..... that'd be sick af.

Yeah the short hop mechanic is another thing that needs to be considered. Again great point dude.

Ger187

Noob
What isn't mentioned in the video is the fact that there might end up being some characters that have a short jump overhead that might reach a little further than D1 range.

This means that those characters would have an extra option to beat out D4s when pushed out of D1 range. I didn't mention it because it's not universal.

Thanks