The timeline for this post has been composed to reflect an NRS-style 2-year cycle. For other developers, just expand it out a couple more years
- Community: Man I'm hype, this game is going to be amazing. They're going to fix everything that was wrong with the last game. The netcode will be flawless and it will have all my favorite DLC. I love this company.
Day before release:
- Community: So excited to get my hands on this game! Can't wait, gonna grind it out, I want to be top in this game. I really hope they don't patch the game, maybe for like a year or something like that, just let it rock and give it time to grow.
- Group A: Man this game is so balanced and it feels so great. They really did a great job, this is hype and tournaments will be dope.
- Group B: Character #23 is broken.. How could the devs release the game like this? It's so obvious that this character is completely OP. He's going to dominate the game and saturate all the Top 8's.
- Group A: Man I really hope they don't patch the game, it's balanced already and I'm so happy about this game, man it's super fun.
- Group B: The game's been out for 5 hours, why haven't they patched #23 yet? The devs don't know how to make fighting games.
- Group C: When's the DLC?
2 Weeks After Release:
- Group A: Man I think the game is pretty balanced, character #6 might be a little strong, but people just need to learn the matchup. They don't know the matchup yet and that's why people are losing -- if people learn the MU then it'll be a lot harder for #6 players to win. I'm so happy they haven't knee-jerk patched the game yet.
- Group B: It's been TWO weeks, why haven't they patched #23 yet? So broke, S tier and has no losing matchups. The devs don't know what they're doing. Game needs to be patched next week.
- Group C: I'm getting kind of bored with the game, it's fun and all, but let's get some DLC!
1 Month After Release:
- Group A: Kind of thinking that #6 might need some nerfs. Nothing bit, just a slight reduction in damage and maybe a couple more frames of startup here and there.
- Group B: *Torches and pitchforks" #23 HAS RUINED THE GAME -- WHERE'S THE PATCH?
- Group C: Why is there no DLC yet?!?!
1.5 months after release:
- Group A: I wonder if they'll patch #6 before EVO.
- Group B: WE'RE GOING TO PICKET THE OFFICES IF THEY DON'T PATCH TOMORROW
- Group C: Omg first DLC character announced so hype he's gonna be so good I've been waiting for this for years
2.5 months in -- First Balance Patch
- Players from other games: I'm quitting the game because there's a balance patch every week. I mean how am I supposed to learn the game when they are patching it every week? We've already had 5 balance patches and it's just too much I'm out.
- Group A: Kind of worried that #6 wasn't touched.
- Group B: Omg, how could they have buffed #19.. Now he's OBVOUSLY BROKEN
- Group C: How could they have not picked the DLC character I wanted? This sucks, worst game company, can't wait for the next DLC because it's going to be the one I want.
- Group B: OMG, the DLC character is obviously broken how could they release it in this state
- Group A: New DLC character is fun! I think I might have found a new main
3 months After Release:
- Group A: I know we said they should wait a year to patch the game but #6 really needs nerfs. I'm worried that the game might die if they don't.
- Group B: How could they have nerfed #23?!? Kneejerk patch as usual, he wasn't that great, now he's bottom tier
- Group C: The next DLC character is going to be the one I wanted.
- Group B: NERF #19 OBVIOUSLY S TIER the game needs a patch next week
5 months in -- Second DLC:
- Group A: #6 is really kind of killing the game for me, I mean I like it, but when everybody is playing #6 what's the point? I really want to like this game but I don't know why they haven't patched him yet.
- Group B: #19 SUCKS HE NEEDS BUFFS WHY DIDN'T THE BUFF HIM MORE? #23 STILL SUCKS WHY DID THEY NERF HIM? TYPICAL KNEEJERK PATCHES. ALSO WHY ISN'T #6 NERFED?
- Group C: Omg the new DLC they announced isn't the one I wanted? When are they gonna release the one I asked for??
7 months in -- Second Balance Patch
- Group A: #6 finally nerfed thank you devs!! The game is in a good place I feel like it's perfectly balanced now and my love for the game is restored thank you!! Don't patch the game any more this is awesome I'm going to compete again now.
- Group B: THIS PATCH IS TOTALLY TERRIBLE ALL THE NERFS AND BUFFS ARE WRONG. MOST UNBALANCED GAME IN THE FGC HOW COULD THEY RELEASE THIS? Also #6 was overnerfed and now he'll be BOTTOM TIER
- Group C: There's one more DLC coming it better be the one I want or else I hate this game and the devs.
7.5 months in
- Group A: Kinda feeling like maybe they buffed #3 too much...
- Group B: There's a new Guilty Gear coming out gonna drop this game for that because I've always been a huge Guilty Gear fan and this game is too unbalanced, they don't patch it enough. The devs are bad, they never should have nerfed #23. #6 is still too good, WHY DIDN'T THEY NERF HIM MORE? Why isn't every character in the game in the same tier? I could balance this game better than them
9 months in:
- Group A: Can't wait for the next game man it's going to be great.
- Group B: Game is dead. Too many bad patches killed the game
- Group C: All the DLC in this game sucked, just a money grab; can't wait to buy the new game's DLC.
- Community: The next game is going to be amazing. They're going to fix everything that was wrong with the last game. The netcode will be flawless.
Day before the next game:
- Community: So excited to get my hands on this game! Can't wait gonna grind it out, I'm ready to be top in this game. I really hope they don't patch the game, maybe for like a year or something like that, just let it rock and give it time to grow..
... And so the cycle continues