What's new

The f2 poke

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Recently I've gotten shit from a lot of people because I claimed the f2 poke is not a good poke, borderline useless. Imo, the future is all about b21 and b34.

I want to take this time to explain the f2 mind game and see if anyone has any improvements to it.

When a f2 is blocked it ends on 0 frames. If the opponent has a 6 frame d1 there is nothing you can do other than block it. If you try to jump over, it will AA you. If you return fire with a d1 they win 95% of the time. If you standing 1 it whiffs and gets beat out by their d1. If you try any other poke they are simply too slow. If you finish with f2b1 and they stay blocking low the last hit whiffs and his full combo punishable. If they block the last hit, it is still punishable. Someone told me that you can u3 and since your leg is off the ground their d1 whiffs. I can 100% confirm this is not true, d1 will hit you out of the stance and before you can go low/overhead from it.

So in my opinion the only mind game is will you link flamethrower after the blocked f2. If you link strait missile it goes over d1, if you link up missile it's extremely punishable, if you link TU it can get beat out by an attack or simply blocked. The thing with flamethrower at that close of a range is most characters can punish it by full combo. The window is tight and I'm sure a lot of people won't do it unless they are trained to. Regardless on paper they should be eating you alive for it.

In closing, I want to ask two things. Do you think f2 is all that it's hyped up to be? What do you do after a blocked f2?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
If you f2 they have to stand block... and since it is neutral on block... the game flips a coin for who wins the d1 war (I assume he has a 6frame d1). That seems like a pretty good gambit... considering EVEN if you block their d1... you are again at advantage in the poke war.
How is that a bad thing? Basically the f2 covers a TON of ground... and is an overhead and is very fast. Not many people will be able to react to it (they may guess) and most of the time it will probably land. Think about how Smoke's overhead is... and the implication it has along with it.
Obviously you see the holes with Sektor's follow up strings... but you have to use a safe move that basically puts you in a position to blow someone up.
I think it might be "overhyped" but the move is still one of his better tools to create scenarios in which you pressure your opponent and put them in a stressful situation.

and is an overhead and is very fast.
It's not an overhead. It can't be ducked, but it's not an overhead.

I think in general Sektor's moves have been overhyped. That's not to say that they are bad by any stretch, but when people talk about them they seem to only focus on the positives, like 1 being 6 frames and not it's pathetic range or that you can duck an punish it.

I feel like, as with most of Sektor's stuff, f2 is good for exploiting holes in your opponents defense. It has a massive range and is extremely fast for a normal that covers that amount of ground. But, it's exploitable if you get careless with it. It's rather punishable on wiff if you do f2 by itself and can only be made marginally safer with b1.

The best thing about f2, in my opinion, is it can be linked to b1 and send them back to full screen (and takes 15%). But that's just because I feel personally like Sektor's pokes are for escaping, not applying pressure.

NKZero

Noob
If you f2 they have to stand block... and since it is neutral on block... the game flips a coin for who wins the d1 war (I assume he has a 6frame d1). That seems like a pretty good gambit... considering EVEN if you block their d1... you are again at advantage in the poke war.
How is that a bad thing? Basically the f2 covers a TON of ground... and is an overhead and is very fast. Not many people will be able to react to it (they may guess) and most of the time it will probably land. Think about how Smoke's overhead is... and the implication it has along with it.
Obviously you see the holes with Sektor's follow up strings... but you have to use a safe move that basically puts you in a position to blow someone up.
I think it might be "overhyped" but the move is still one of his better tools to create scenarios in which you pressure your opponent and put them in a stressful situation.
I don't think F2 is overhead mate. Or else it would be quite ridiculous. F2 into his 6 frame standing 1. SwiftTomHanks I agree that the poke itself isn't very useful up close but it is great at closing down space and since it has a lot of range, it will catch opponents by surprise. If you hit them, you have nice frame advantage to continue pressure. Would not say it is useless but all the points you made are very valid. F2 on block has no legit follow-up...

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I either go for a D1 of my own or gamble the 1,2,B1. I use F2 as a strong part of my game because it's not going to get blocked 100% of the time, on hit it puts you in a great situation and on block your only threat is a D1.

And if you're feeling bold enough you CAN throw out the B1 after the f2 is blocked, if they try to D1 and not see it coming they're going to be knocked full screen, i only tend to do this when i have a breaker though.

I'd say sektor has no useless pokes, they're all excellent in their own situation.

NKZero

Noob
Also if you block a D1 aren't most people at -12 and beyond? Sektor can punish with 12B1 or at least force the opponent to block a B34. Maybe even go for a D4 and then continue pressure or something like that...

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Also if you block a D1 aren't most people at -12 and beyond? Sektor can punish with 12B1 or at least force the opponent to block a B34. Maybe even go for a D4 and then continue pressure or something like that...
I always wondered why the frame data says -15 for Sektor's d1 but Kung Lao can't spin him. There must be enough hit stun on block that negates the negative frames of the attacker. I've never seen someone punished for a blocked d1.

NKZero

Noob
I always wondered why the frame data says -15 for Sektor's d1 but Kung Lao can't spin him. There must be enough hit stun on block that negates the negative frames of the attacker. I've never seen someone punished for a blocked d1.
It isn't just him man. Ermac and Shang are -13. But you are right, nobody punishes it. Then again nobody really punishes low pokes do they despite them being disadvantage on block. You sure that Lao cannot spin punish? Anyways I was basing this on the frame data in an attempt to show you why their follow-up D1 is potentially risky...

Crathen

Death is my business
Because d1 has pushback , also f2 on block can be spaced to actually make their d1 whiff ( max range f2 , give it a try vs NW ) and if they do d1 they're gonna get hit by b34 , of course max range f2 can be whiff punished if they walk back but that's exactly what Sektor wants , also since you have standing 1 they're conditioned not to jump wich is a good thing.
Sometimes you want them to do d1 after they block because then they're at negative frames ( + pushback ) and since Sektor has normals with great range ( and fast ) you can decide the pace of the match , always think about your next move.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
I personally use f2 quite often. What I like to do with it is either f2 flame or f2 njp or crossup and if your opponent is d1ing you you can either block, jump out or possibly interupt what comes next with the 6 frames 1. I have never had problems using this move. It works very well for me. Great range closer too.

BDMao88

Filthy Casual
I like to use f2 on tuesdays and thursdays to get in on people, then I usually follow up with a jab or u3, but it can end up as a 50/50 situation as someone stated before.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Wow, Sektor's -15? Kitana's d1 can definitely be punished by moves like Jax's f4 and Liu Kang's b3.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
F2 acts as a great surprise poke. And as. Good way to close the gap quickly. As of recently I've been using nothing but sektor and that's the move I use the least.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk

NKZero

Noob
Because d1 has pushback , also f2 on block can be spaced to actually make their d1 whiff ( max range f2 , give it a try vs NW ) and if they do d1 they're gonna get hit by b34 , of course max range f2 can be whiff punished if they walk back but that's exactly what Sektor wants , also since you have standing 1 they're conditioned not to jump wich is a good thing.
Sometimes you want them to do d1 after they block because then they're at negative frames ( + pushback ) and since Sektor has normals with great range ( and fast ) you can decide the pace of the match , always think about your next move.
How does Sektor have great range on his normals? Unless you're talking about B21 (which leads to nothing) and B3 (but 4 will whiff against crouch blockers unless you do it in that special range). But you do make a good point about the pushback and the max range f2.

Yeah, you're right about f2. The only use for it is punishing whiffed normals and if you catch someone airborne 12b1 and you can't do the regular followup f2b1 works, but itau probably works for that too.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
F2 IS good. You just have to know when to use it. F2 on hit against a grounded opponent gets you advantage, if you catch someone off the air then you get a small combo, if it's blocked, you're put at neutral, just like every other up close tool Sektor has. If you read a d1, block and use the advantage to follow up with more pressure. Oh, and here in So Cal Xblades punishes d1's consistently if you like to throw them out. I almost never do though, Sektor's d1 is horrible.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I wish the second hit of f2 b1 hit mid and was chargeable and charge cancelable like cage or ermac's b+2, unblockable at full charge and increased damage, but no juggle afterwards

oh, and safe on block as well, if not charged