What's new

The DLC Release Timetable...Your Choice?

If the community was given the option of choosing, would you personally prefer to have each Kombat Pack released all at once with multiple characters, or continue spreading them out individually? I personally would prefer all at once, due to the freshness it adds to the game. Not to mention I feel like it makes the online character demographics skew in favor of the ONE new character when said character becomes available, and God FORBID the character actually be viable as then that one character is just EVERYWHERE and there is no variety.

I also feel like at the rate we are goin I won’t get to see my personal favorite, FUJIN (who I’ve been desperately waiting for since the MKX Kombat Kasts), until sometime next year. Your thoughts?

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Everyone would say all at once. All at once is bad for NRS though(and bad for any company) as there is zero incentive to do so as you can run a marketing cycle for each individual release and get more headlines in news articles/twitter posts/etc etc on each subsequent release.

Also all at once is much harder on the team as that means every character has to be 100% complete and we are trying to get away from crunch culture. Nightwolf and Sindel are probably finished sure, is Spawn finished? Probably not, terminator might have a model or something done by now but no way that character is 100% ready for launch.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
just for promotional purpose, show them all at once, god damn it ! then , release them one by one , no problem with that .....

we're angry , cause by now, NRS propaganda for DLC, is a major epic fail ..... where's the trailer showing up all 5 remaning characters ? we wanna see them already .... ok, they wanna release them separated, one by month, go ahead, do it, but, why not show them all, only to make fans know who will be in the game ? :mad:

in fact, we know already due the leaks, but we wanna SEE them !! hehe :joker:

Spektor

Noob
I don't mind them being released one at a time, let's me get to know the character before the next one shows up. BUT they should release trailers, even if the character isn't finished they could do a cinematic. Also I would like to see them just plain old communicate more! Most people wouldn't get mad if they were like "hey guys Sindel is almost done, ran into some delays, expect her by the end of the month" or something. Also more communication on game mechanics, bug fixes ect. Their Kombat Kasts barely tell us anything.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Who would want them all at once? Isn't it nice to have something to look forward to? It keeps the game fresh and it's a better marketing strategy for NRS, as others have stated.

Release dates would be ideal, but it's nice to know that these characters are ACTUAL DLC that NRS is still working on and not just some on-disc bullshit like Capcom pulled with SFxT.

I'm sure NRS is taking their time with a lot of testing to ensure that the new characters releasing are also not any fun to play as like the rest of the roster currently.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Who would want them all at once? Isn't it nice to have something to look forward to? It keeps the game fresh and it's a better marketing strategy for NRS, as others have stated.

Release dates would be ideal, but it's nice to know that these characters are ACTUAL DLC that NRS is still working on and not just some on-disc bullshit like Capcom pulled with SFxT.

I'm sure NRS is taking their time with a lot of testing to ensure that the new characters releasing are also not any fun to play as like the rest of the roster currently.
You had us in the first half, not gonna lie.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

NRS: Better not add those fun moves that extend combos in tourney variations!

I'd rather them release one at a time. I think how they're doing it right now is fine. If they released them all in a huge chunk, that's either going to take a very long time or devs are going to be rushing them out the door. Plus, when it comes to balancing, it makes it easier to introduce one variable at a time rather than throwing a whole bunch of new characters into the mix. Frankly I'm just enjoying the base game right now and having a good time getting acclimated to the characters that are already there.

trufenix

bye felicia
Not all at once but I would like to know something lol. This flying blind shit kinda sucks. Can we get the FBI to find the fucking patterns in Nrs marketing?
It is admittedly oppressively annoying but considering we are actually just crossing over the one year anniversary of the game actually being announced I can only assume they have literately been in crunch this entire time. This has been way more haphazard than usual.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
It is admittedly oppressively annoying but considering we are actually just crossing over the one year anniversary of the game actually being announced I can only assume they have literately been in crunch this entire time. This has been way more haphazard than usual.
Makes sense. I’m just excited because the DLC are the characters I’m interested in. I don’t play anyone in the base roster. A schedule would be nice is all. They can take all the time they need to get them right.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I would 100% want it all at once and right now. There’s not much value to me personally in waiting. Like of course I understand the value of stretching it out for other consumers and also for NRS as a business and for the longevity of the game and all that. It’s just for me personally, I’ll stop caring about the game before all the DLC releases because that has happened with literally every game I’ve played. Because I get bored of games these days super quickly. And I actually have gotten pretty decent at MK11, but I want to use Nightwolf (and even the other DLC) so much, I haven’t played in like a week.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I don't really care if they release them one at a time, in doubles, or even all at once. Don't really care if it takes longer than usual as well.

The only thing that I really care about is more consistent communication via developer updates (blogs or videos), but I know this will never happen because NRS loves to stay silent for long periods of time with the exception of an occasional troll tweet from Ed Boon. My guess is that they do this to "build anticipation" and to drop the trailer (and whatever pre-release information they are sharing) at a major event so they can rake in those media dollars or whatever. Especially when we are talking about guests like Spawn, Ash Williams, and Terminator.

We pretty much know that this is indeed the case considering that's exactly how they handled the reveal for MK11. Waited all the way until The Game Awards to announce the game and at that point it was going to be out in like 4 months, then they made us wait another month for the gameplay reveal which had it's own dedicated major event at two different locations, lots of decorations, a stage with an announcer, MK-themed fun booths, meet-and-greets with Ronda Rousey, etc.

kantboy-2

Ripper
On Disk Bullshit is already in NRS games since MKX and many here defend the practice.

Day 1 DLC is scummy as fuck but it's NRS so they get a free pass.

A game company should actually give you a complete time table with number of characters, which characters and actual dates from the moment they start asking 100 dollars for 'deluxe' editions and 40 dollars for season passes.

If they don't want player backlash maybe they should open preorders and ask for money AFTER the base game comes out?

Mortal Kombat 11 was announced in December 2018. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it's not even close to the year anniversary.

trufenix

bye felicia
Makes sense. I’m just excited because the DLC are the characters I’m interested in. I don’t play anyone in the base roster. A schedule would be nice is all. They can take all the time they need to get them right.
There is a schedule, but if you're asking for a date, no way. They don't know for sure, and if they estimate and miss it the internet will want their heads. It sucks, but this is best for everybody. There's too much money at stake now.

DECEMBER?! Yikes, that's even worse.
Yeah, I remember because I was working overtime that entire weekend, and my health was acting up, so I completely missed it. It was announced on Fri. Dec. 7th, I think, with a release date of Apr. 23rd. My best friend messaged me the morning of the 8th to tell me, and since I couldn't watch the reveal trailer at the time, I had him text me a full description of what he saw.

So from announcement to release, it was only about 4.5 months.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
There is a schedule, but if you're asking for a date, no way. They don't know for sure, and if they estimate and miss it the internet will want their heads. It sucks, but this is best for everybody. There's too much money at stake now.
True.