What's new

The Dangers of Tilt

I recently played the most random and tilt inducing Raiden player I had ever seen. Doing unsafe specials after every sting, fullscreen fly, and I got hit with all of it. I was shaking my head in disbelief and saying things like "what, that worked" and "why am I getting hit by this', it was not good. I did manage to calm down in the third match and win 2-1, but it reminded me of a Street Fighter 4 set from many years ago.

I have watched this many times over the years and not just because it's entertaining, but it teaches a very important lesson. This is a perfect example of what not to do against an unpredictable player as well as the pressure of playing in front of people, and this applies to any game.

Can anyone give me a breakdown of exactly how random this match was in NRS terms?
It's a little hard to compare them because NRS has no invincible Shoryuken style moves. The Ryu player is mashing Shoryu and the Rufus player is so flustered he's dropping his combos and getting Shoryuken'ed. He's also pressing buttons in situations were a normal player wouldn't be and I'm sure we've all experienced that. Then there is the constant jumping, anti-airing in NRS games can be tough because they have no invincibility so jumping at your opponent can be a viable strategy. However, in Street Fighter, especially if you have an uppercut, there is no reason you shouldn't be punishing the jump-ins.

I would say the best thing to take away for this match is, try not to lose your cool. In a situation like this, you're better off hanging back and playing lame and not playing there game. You can't predict what your opponent is going to do if they don't even know.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Were either of these guys people I should know? Just wondering if that set was a serious upset.

I never played SF IV, was hit stun just nonexistent in that game? The amount of times that guy dped on hit was crazy, even if it's a frame 1 invincible move.

Were either of these guys people I should know? Just wondering if that set was a serious upset.

I never played SF IV, was hit stun just nonexistent in that game? The amount of times that guy dped on hit was crazy, even if it's a frame 1 invincible move.
I'd never heard of them, but I didn't follow SF 4 that closely outside of the top players and events. From the way they talked, FSP seemed to be a known online player and I don't know about Gandhi but he'll be a legend forever now.

As for the do stuff, I've never played Rufus so I don't know how hard his combos are but SF 4 has a lot of 1 and 2 frame link combos. He's missing the link timing which leaves a gap and causes the combo to drop allowing you to uppercut through it.

MK 11 also has some 1 frame link combos, Kung Lao can do Orbiting hat and link it into f4 and Cassie also has a 1 frame link in her Yass Queen variation.

Second Saint

I don't even mean dropping the combo links. It's when he gets hit by the divekick that's triggering me.

I don't even mean dropping the combo links. It's when he gets hit by the divekick that's triggering me.
I think the dive kick is hitting too high, the general rule of thumb is to land the dive kick as low as possible for better frame advantage. You can see at 0:37 he lands the kick on the legs and gets a combo but at 0:40 and 5:12 it lands high and he tries to re-jump afterward and gets hit. Other times like at 2:22 he lands the kick low enough but drops the combo after and eats an EX-fireball.

xKMMx

Banned
Can anyone give me a breakdown of exactly how random this match was in NRS terms?
I don’t know I’ve definitely played and been beaten by random as shit like that and it sucks super bad cause you can’t figure out why it’s working.

I don’t know I’ve definitely played and been beaten by random as shit like that and it sucks super bad cause you can’t figure out why it’s working.
Lack of patience and understanding, once you start playing at a certain level, you start to think that everyone’s kind of playing at that level too. With a good/intermediate player, it’s easier and more natural to find your pace in the match because you are both actively doing it, it becomes like chess.

With an unconditioned balls to the wall player it’s a lot harder to find that pace because they don’t give a shit about what they are going to do next, hell they don’t even know what they are going to do next they just know they need to press buttons.

Any.
Button.

It becomes super easy to lose your cool once you’ve become accustomed to playing the game a certain way and expect it to be played as such. Thats honestly how most of these types of players get their wins, they get into their opponents head with their scrubbiness and their opponents end up defeating themselves.

That guy in the video was so tilted that random shoryuken kept working that he had a meltdown instead of having patience and punishing predictable behavior.

It reminds me of people in this game d1 mashing after negative strings on block and beating out the opponents counter poke, or when people try to jail and the opponent is just d1 mashing the entire time.

Should it work? No.
Does it make us mad? Yes.
BUT someone playing like that and being ignorant to frame data is eventually going to hang themselves so you gotta be patient.

Second Saint

Lack of patience and understanding, once you start playing at a certain level, you start to think that everyone’s kind of playing at that level too. With a good/intermediate player, it’s easier and more natural to find your pace in the match because you are both actively doing it, it becomes like chess.

With an unconditioned balls to the wall player it’s a lot harder to find that pace because they don’t give a shit about what they are going to do next, hell they don’t even know what they are going to do next they just know they need to press buttons.

Any.
Button.

It becomes super easy to lose your cool once you’ve become accustomed to playing the game a certain way and expect it to be played as such. Thats honestly how most of these types of players get their wins, they get into their opponents head with their scrubbiness and their opponents end up defeating themselves.

That guy in the video was so tilted that random shoryuken kept working that he had a meltdown instead of having patience and punishing predictable behavior.

It reminds me of people in this game d1 mashing after negative strings on block and beating out the opponents counter poke, or when people try to jail and the opponent is just d1 mashing the entire time.

Should it work? No.
Does it make us mad? Yes.
BUT someone playing like that and being ignorant to frame data is eventually going to hang themselves so you gotta be patient.
Something similar to what you described is one of the last few straws I could handle with this game. That d1 mashing you mentioned is the actual right thing to do against D'vorah. It's not playing bad to do that against her at all because her mids are so slow if you're -5-9, you force all her options down to d1ing back with little risk even if you do jail a s1.

You can even watch Final Kombat and the moment Tekken Master switched to D'vorah, Deoxys started shotgunning d1's and ignoring frame data when he got in. Playing like that is rewarded against that character, and it was totally infuriating to play against when someone was smart enough to realize that consciously, not just be mashing all the time.

I'd never heard of them, but I didn't follow SF 4 that closely outside of the top players and events. From the way they talked, FSP seemed to be a known online player and I don't know about Gandhi but he'll be a legend forever now.

As for the do stuff, I've never played Rufus so I don't know how hard his combos are but SF 4 has a lot of 1 and 2 frame link combos. He's missing the link timing which leaves a gap and causes the combo to drop allowing you to uppercut through it.

MK 11 also has some 1 frame link combos, Kung Lao can do Orbiting hat and link it into f4 and Cassie also has a 1 frame link in her Yass Queen variation.
FSP couldn’t have been that good. Everybody and they momma know sweeps are punishable by death in SF4. He also didn’t punish his DP’s hard enough. Gandhi was mashing hard af lol. All he had to do is block and punish.