What's new

Question The concept of cancelling

MikeLao

Tilikum
I have no idea what it is or how to properly perform them. Is there a thread already posted or can anyone help me understand this?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
AFAIK cancelling is doing another move during the frames of the first one.

Like, let's go with Noob Saibot. I would do 2,1, but in the animation of the second hit, I put in the inputs for Upknee, so I get 2, 1 Upknee.

Probably a terrible explanation. ;-;

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
The simplest spot to start is dash canceling. With every character you are able to press block in the middle of the animation of your dash, forcing the dash to stop short, and allowing you to immediately defend.

Now blocking is not the only way to cancel a dash. If you press any normal button during your dash you will also cancel the dash and immediately go into the move you pressed.

The more advanced types of cancels involve Kabals Nomad Dash, and Sindels levitate. With Kabal if you do a nomad dash, then hit Back and block you will cancel the dash, and go into block. A unique thing about Kabals Nomad Dash is you can also cancel it with his special moves. So if you very quickly do BF4, BB3 you will start to Nomad Dash, but stop after a short distance and throw out his low saw blades.

So cancels are exactly like they sound. You cancel a move before it hits into another move/special/block.

I may be wrong here, but as for doing something like 24~Spin with Kung Lao is known as a link. You are linking a special move to the end of a combo string.

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
Good example would be to cancel Jax's ground pound special. When he raises his fist in the air do a dash, and it will cancel the animation. This will fake out your opponent and make them jump to avoid the special. Then you can punish the jump.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
What RYX said.

Sort of.

You basically kancel a move during it's animation. There's different types of kancels depending on the game and in this game some of them are character dependent.

For example, you kan dash kancel out of moves like Ermac's, Sub's, and Johnny's B2. You kan also dash kancel out of Stances like Sektor's Leg Lift, Liu Kang's DB2, Sonya's Military Stance, and Freddy's Nightmare Stance. Jax has this with Ground Pound.

Kratos also has this with his slide. Hold 4 when you input it and then dash.

Kabal's NDC: Back and Block during the Nomad Dash.

Sindel's Levitate Kancel's. Block During the Levitate, etc.

Universally you kan kancel normals into specials by just inputting the special during the animation of the normal move.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I may be wrong here, but as for doing something like 24~Spin with Kung Lao is known as a link. You are linking a special move to the end of a combo string.
You are korrect, in that you are wrong. lol. Links are attacks done at the end of the animation of the previous one. This is done for kombos for Street Fighter, such as LP into LP. MK doesn't have any links for kombos, only chains, and kancels. The difficulty of some kombos lies in the juggle system.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
There are a couple types of cancels in play in MK9:

1) Actually cancelling something. Like with Kitana's EX fan, you can cancel the second throw of it completely by holding 1 and dashing out of it. Same with Jax's ground pound -- you can stop it before it completes, which allows you to move or so something else. Same with Kabal's nomad dash -- you can stop it before he actually dashes across the screen.

So in these cases, you allow the move to start up, and then stop it cold so you can do something else.

2) Interrupting one thing with another. This is where you start a new input before the frames of the previous one would have ended. There are normals that can be interrupted by specials, dashes than can be interrupted by normals or block, etc.

As for the second one, one of the primary reasons it's useful is that it allows you to modify the properties of certain moves and strings. For example, if I hit an opponent with a move that is negative on block, and he blocks it, he'd normally recover before I do -- so he'd be able to start pressure on me, or even punish if the window is large enough. However, by cancelling that move before it ends into another move that is safe on block, the disadvantage is removed when the first move is interrupted early by the second.

This can lead to mindgames, because it can prevent people from being able to interrupt your offense in certain spots, or prevent them from being able to counterattack when they normally would.

In general, cancelling can be used for all kinds of things, from baiting opponents into making mistakes, to extending combos, to building meter.

The simplest spot to start is dash canceling. With every character you are able to press block in the middle of the animation of your dash, forcing the dash to stop short, and allowing you to immediately defend.

Now blocking is not the only way to cancel a dash. If you press any normal button during your dash you will also cancel the dash and immediately go into the move you pressed.

The more advanced types of cancels involve Kabals Nomad Dash, and Sindels levitate. With Kabal if you do a nomad dash, then hit Back and block you will cancel the dash, and go into block. A unique thing about Kabals Nomad Dash is you can also cancel it with his special moves. So if you very quickly do BF4, BB3 you will start to Nomad Dash, but stop after a short distance and throw out his low saw blades.

So cancels are exactly like they sound. You cancel a move before it hits into another move/special/block.

I think you're explaining it totally wrong. All that fluff about Kabal and stuff is just exclusive to his character and block canceling is like wave dashing it isn't what cancel means, people call it dash blocking, not cancel. There aren't any links in MK AFAIK.

Link comes from traditional fighting games, where you have to link certain normals into other normals after a full animation is complete, usually depending on LMH system.

Canceling is generally ending a string short and canceling it into a special as quickly as you can to cancel the animation of the string you're using.

Simple as that.

If you have your basic ABC string in MK9 and you want to cancel it into a special, depending on the string you can cancel the string after either A, AB, or ABC.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
You are korrect, in that you are wrong. lol. Links are attacks done at the end of the animation of the previous one. This is done for kombos for Street Fighter, such as LP into LP. MK doesn't have any links for kombos, only chains, and kancels. The difficulty of some kombos lies in the juggle system.
You are the only person I know that can replace every "c" with a "k" and not piss me off. I don't know why. Good on ya

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
You are the only person I know that can replace every "c" with a "k" and not piss me off. I don't know why. Good on ya
Haha. Awesome.

Maybe it's because I still write grammatically korrect for the most part? Or maybe it's the fact that I actually have rules for it? (Like K replacement only for K sounds, so no replacement for "Ch." Also only at the start of a word.)

IDK.. But Thank You. lol...

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think you're explaining it totally wrong. All that fluff about Kabal and stuff is just exclusive to his character and block canceling is like wave dashing it isn't what cancel means, people call it dash blocking, not cancel. There aren't any links in MK AFAIK.
Block/dash cancelling is technically cancelling the animation of dash into a block -- it's still 100% a cancel. Likewise cancelling attacks from their startup frames into dashes is also cancelling. It's not only interrupting normals with specials.

I'm not
Block/dash cancelling is technically cancelling the animation of dash it a block -- it's still 100% a cancel. Likewise cancelling attacks into dashes is cancelling. It's not only interrupting normals with specials.
I'm not trying to be super technical here, basic term is usually referred with strings.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
  • there are moves that are meant to be cancelled, if you want to
  • and there are others, that might be possible to be cancelled into another one, if you use timing and correctly input technique .... these type required training and some level of skill
  • and , finally, some moves that are impossible to be cancelled, no matter what

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
I don't understand how linking a special off of normals is considered a cancel. you are not canceling anything. If you had to input the entire strings then interupt them to get a special to come out thats one thing. But with Cyrax I do 12~net, not 121 and quickly hit bb3 before the last 1 comes out.