What's new

The Common Wealth 2016 - Top 8 Results, cR SonicFox wins!

The Common Wealth 2016 ended a little while ago. It ran from September 17th to the 18th in Virginia Beach at Dave and Buster's. Thanks to @Mr Aquaman and his crew for a great tournament that hosted many quality matches and play. Props should be given to the players that went out of their way to attend, and props to the top 16 for delivering a great show.

The top eight match details and results are enclosed in the spoiler tag.

W Top 8:
>> (Dragon Naginata, Acidic) cR SonicFox vs EXiLE Tweedy (Tarkatan)
- Sonic wins first round, Tweedy wins the second round, Sonic wins the first match.
- Sonic wins second match both rounds.
- 3rd game, Tweedy wins the first round, Sonic wins the second, Tweedy wins the match.
- 4th game, Tweedy wins first round, Sonic wins second, Tweedy wins the match -- Sonic switches to Acidic.
- 5th game, Sonic wins first round, wins the second round and takes the set.

>> (Piercing) HZRD KevoDaMan vs EVB Dragon (Tarkatan)
- Kevo wins the first round, Dragon wins the second, Kevo wins the match.
- Dragon wins the first round, Kevo wins second, Kevo wins the match.
- Dragon wins first round, wins the match.
- Dragon wins first round, wins the match.
- Kevo wins first round, takes the match and the set.

L Top 8:
>> (Demolition, Smoke) PG Scar vs RM Cossner (Sektor)
- Cossner wins first round, wins the match.
- Cossner gains first round momentum, match paused by a controller connected to the PS4. Match restart.
- Scar wins first round of 2nd game, wins the match.
- Scar wins first round, Cossner wins the second round, Cossner wins the match -- Scar switches to Smoke.
- Surprise surprise! Tie round goes straight to round three, Scar wins the match.
- Cossner wins first round, Scar wins the second round, Scar takes the set.

>> (Ronin) Hayatei vs StDX 2eZ (Mystic, Spectral)
- Hayatei wins first round, 2eZ wins second, Hayatei wins the match.
- Hayatei wins first round, wins the match -- 2eZ switches to Spectral.
- Hayatei wins first round, wins the match and the set.

L Quarterfinals:
>> (Demolition) PG Scar vs EXiLE Tweedy (Tarkatan)
- Tweedy wins first round, Scar wins the second round, Scar wins.
- Scar wins first round, wins the second round and the match.
- Scar wins first round, Tweedy wins second, Tweedy wins the match.
- Scar wins first round, wins the second round and the set.

>> (Ronin) Hayatei vs EVB Dragon (Tarkatan)
- Hayatei wins first round, Dragon wins second and takes the match.
- Dragon wins first round and wins the match.
- Dragon wins first round, Hayatei wins the second, Hayatei wins.
- Dragon wins first round, Dragon wins the second round and the set.

L Semifinals:
>> (Demolition) PG Scar vs EVB Dragon (Tarkatan)
- Scar wins first round, Scar wins.

W Semifinals:
>> (Acidic) cR SonicFox vs HZRD KevoDaMan (Piercing)
- Sonic wins first round, Sonic wins match.
- Sonic wins first round, Sonic wins match.
- Sonic wins first round clutch by acid DoT, Sonic wins match.

L Finals:
>> (Covert Ops) PG Scar vs HZRD KevoDaMan (Piercing)
- Scar wins first round, Kevo wins second, Scar wins the match.
- Scar wins first round, Scar wins the match.
- Scar wins first round, Kevo wins second, Kevo wins the match.
- Scar wins first round, wins the match.

Grandfinals:
>> (Covert Ops, Demolition) PG Scar [L's] vs [W's] cR SonicFox (Gunslinger)
- Scar wins first round, Sonic wins the second, Sonic wins the match -- Scar switches to Demolition.
- Scar wins first round, Scar wins the match.
- Sonic wins first round, Scar wins the second, Scar wins the match.
- Sonic wins first round, Sonic wins the match.
- Scar wins first round, Sonic wins the second, Scar wins the set and resets the bracket.

>> (Demolition) PG Scar vs cR SonicFox (Gunslinger)
- Sonic wins first round, wins the match.
- Scar wins first round, Sonic wins the second, Scar wins the match.
- Sonic wins first round, Scar wins the second, Sonic wins the match.
- Scar wins first round, Sonic wins the second, Sonic wins the match and the tournament.

The winner of the tournament is cR Sonic Fox! No big surprise? PG Scar got 2nd place and used Covert Ops Sonya for the first match and Demolition for the rest of finals. He was able to win the set and reset the bracket for Grandfinals, but lost to Sonic Fox's Gunslinger.

1. cR SonicFox
2. PG Scar
3. HZRD KevoDaMan
4. EVB Dragon
5. Hayatei
5. EXiLE Tweedy
7. RM Cossner
7. StDX 2eZ

The top 16 playlist can be found here:

(Direct link for those who cannot see the embed.)
Thanks to @N0rdicNinja for notifying me of the playlist.

Challonge bracket for top 16: http://tcwq.challonge.com/TCW2mkxtop16

The Common Wealth on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheCommonW

View attachment 12385

Shoutouts to Tweedy, KevoDaMan, Hayatei, Dragon, Cossner, 2eZ and everyone else! Shoutouts to Tweedy forcing The Fox to switch to Acidic! Also shoutouts to @RM Indecisive dying in pools to REO and ZB Villainous. R.I.P. my friend. :p

Attachments

Last edited:

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Congratz to Tweedy,your result might not shut up the haters, but you definitely earned some respect where it matters, and thats the offline scene. Plus you made Sonic Cox switch to Acidic, and that counts for something.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Huh, wonder why this thread barely got any attention. Congrats to Sonic for winning, it was really cool that you did it with Gun Slinger.

But of course, good stuff to Tweedy. He is the person who's bringing back the hype to this community and I think it's awesome because we really need it.

As a viewer, TCW was a pleasure to watch. The fact that there was no wait time between matches and one would end but then smoothly transition to the next match was fantastic. Loved it. More tournaments have to start doing this if possible. Production was S tier.

Cooljaxx

Mkx is the name , Mix is the game
Tweedy da Gawd, don't stunt the people who are calling you names and crap. Keep on mopping fam! Was this your first tourney?

Tweedy

Noob
Tweedy da Gawd, don't stunt the people who are calling you names and crap. Keep on mopping fam! Was this your first tourney?
Yeah

I wasn't really nervous and I play on the same monitor at home that they used at the event, so I may be a rare case. I also didn't eat any fatty meals before my matches and played hella casuals.

I'd suggest everyone else to do the same things before their first tournament.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I'm quite impressed that Tweedy managed to make it to the #5 spot, good to see he has the skills to back up his words.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Gross. I was hoping KevoDaMan was gone. havent seen him since mk9. Was hoping the scumbag moved to a different game. o well.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
People don't realize how important how you eat at a tournament is mad important
This is true.

I always lose because I eat 8 grilled cheese, a double cheeseburger, two large sides of bacon, a side of sausage, and sweet tea as a snack.

I'm sure if I had an apple I'd win... Or die, I'm really not sure which by this point.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
@N0rdicNinja , can you send me the link only for the Top 8 till the Grand Finals? I watched the entire 32 Bracket and only the 16 Bracket ones, but after the 16 Bracket I felt asleep. I missed the Top 8 till the Grand Finals. Would love to see the entire Top 8 to see what happened. Thanks.

Mr Aquaman

Protector of the Realms
Lead Moderator
@N0rdicNinja , can you send me the link only for the Top 8 till the Grand Finals? I watched the entire 32 Bracket and only the 16 Bracket ones, but after the 16 Bracket I felt asleep. I missed the Top 8 till the Grand Finals. Would love to see the entire Top 8 to see what happened. Thanks.
Just go to the playlist above. Top 8 is labeled. Or past broadcasts for thatgthatgamestore on twitch and skip to past sfv top 8

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Just go to the playlist above. Top 8 is labeled. Or past broadcasts for thatgthatgamestore on twitch and skip to past sfv top 8
Thanks for your answer. I found it. Once I get back from my doc I'll watch it right away. ;)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
If MKX was ECW, then Tweedy would be its Rob Van Dam, and TCW would be its Manhattan Center.

Congrats, man. You're bringing the fire back, one five star Alien splash at a time.