What's new

Strategy The best stage for Black Adam

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
After experimenting and playing on all stages against almost the whole cast, I have come to the conclusion that ATLANTIS is the best stage to play on as Black Adam. Here is a breakdown of the interactibles and how they will always be a greater risk for the opponent to use than Black Adam.

As you all know, Black Adam in the corner does not have many options and most characters in the game can pressure him pretty well, his wakeups can be full combo punished against opponents who know how to deal with him.

Atlantis provides you with;

STONE TABLET

Do not throw this, the hitbox on it is horrible and you should bait your opponent into using it. You can always avoid the tablet if you're standing, fullscreen you can neutral jump to make it whiff and divekick straight after to be in your opponent's face at a few - frames or even neutral. Anything less than fullscreen can be dashed twice on reaction and punished.
Against gadget and agility characters you can always black magic or ex lightning on reaction to their jump and punish them as they come down.
AQUARIUM
Adam has the advantage here as well, you get a backdash on reaction to your opponent hitting the glass or turning the pipe and will escape the water and still be able to punish your opponent with black magic as long as you react to the glass break startup while within a lil' further than sweep range. While in the corner you have the option of meter burning to break the glass and escape pressure along with gaining favorable zoning positioning and maybe the lifelead that Adam needs in certain matchups, this allows you to escape corner pressure. Adam can punish opponents better than anyone in the game on reaction for trying to use this interactible while he also gains the most yet again after any character when he uses it. Gadget and Agility characters are truly fucked because with the right timing they can be punished with MB divekick into a wall combo or the standard 48% BnB.​
GLASS ORB
Punish evasive characters the same way as with the tablet, otherwise it functions as a regular throwable interactible with a huge hitbox, Adam can get much better use of it out of most after laying down a close lightning bomb. Not much else to say.
WATER PIPE
This interactible can only be used by gadget and agility characters, this is a tool that supposedly helps those characters but instead helps Black Adam. The pipe cannot be used to punish lightning strike or black magic on reaction, it cannot be slid from on reaction to those projectiles unless you're within sweep distance. The sweet thing about this interactible is that NRS games have recovery frames whenever you hit the ground from a jump. That means you can whiff punish such a jump for a 55% BnB while in order to punish your zoning options the pipe has to slid from on a read and not a reaction.
This is your go-to counterpicking stage, it's to Adam what Ferris is to DS and even better because his design allows the exploiting of the interactibles to be ridiculously one sided.​

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Against a gadget character, surely it goes without saying that metropolis rooftop is great.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
This stage is superior to metropolis because its way more reliable and 99% of the time Black Adam is at advantage. You have many more opportunities to punish your opponent and you cover up Adam's weakness to pressure with the aquarium.

I don't like Atlantis very much for Adam unless it's vs other power characters. Gadgets have some real strong interactions here.
While their corner doesn't have the godlike hitbox it does for powers it is infinite use and can be meterburned. The rail isn't that big a threat to use, but if you were ihn the mood for a little zoning its a very good counter to something like EX lightning.

For me I've personally made a point of getting used to every stage as Adam is well, you know Adam, he just is and can do well anywhere. I have a huge preference for Ferris(it's getting less though, but one I still really enjoy) because the right side can be very good for Adam with the meterburned missles that hit nearly everywhere(except pointblank crouchers and the fullest of fullscreen) and ofcourse the log trap, while no wakeup aide is a very powerful threat especially with being able to combo into black magic and then MB it.

I have a soft spot for Arkham, but I just love the corner standing only command grab. Complements our ability to force people to stand and just looks awesome. Sadly is a corner so has downsides. Also TVs and flowers are very potent and when you feel the need you can always transition for some serious pig action.

Most important though is knowing all the meterburnable ones by heart on every stage to aide wakeup a little. Beware baits though :)

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
This stage is superior to metropolis because its way more reliable and 99% of the time Black Adam is at advantage. You have many more opportunities to punish your opponent and you cover up Adam's weakness to pressure with the aquarium.

It sort of relies on your opponent to not read this thread though.

I like fortress of solitude if i am player 1 and i have the zoning advantage, because i can turtle myself into the corner and go for a 50% off the interactable plus a setup, also on the other side i can end my combos for free with a f3 or b3 if u use the vacuum thingy and setup a transition or an untechable vortex thing... also there is a lot of shit to throw in the laboratory and the divekick teleporter thing is op

i like hall of justice vs characters like superman who outzone me... if i get a knockdown they get blown up.... and i love that respawning tank... plus there is some space there

watchtower is good so is ferris aircraft

i dont like to play on rooftop metropolis because it is gay

atlantis is good but i dont like the zipline interfering with my zoning and i like larger stages for more runaway... you also can meter burn through the water

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Again, this stage gives you FREE full combo punishes and fills up a weakness of Adam. The usage of this stage is Adam-SPECIFIC. Not anyone can do these things and for so much damage.

ShanxterX

@shanxterx follow me hoes
Metro roof top. U don't even need to hit any button but the r1. Just run away and throw robots. That stage should be banned

I'd appreciate tags. Forever King might, too.

I understand the logic behind this choice, I never would have thought all that myself but it makes sense.

Fortress of Solitude is a great stage for Adam as well. He has big-ass combos on top left, broken option selects on top right, an interactable he can evade very easily and combo into with b23u+interactable in top mid. Bottom right he has meterless resets that are + on block (laaaaaaawl), offensively black adam dominates this stage. He doesn't have the defensive toolset like he does on Atlantis but it's a good, different approach.

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
I actually agree with this a lot. However, I do feel like Metropolis Rooftop gives Adam a huge advantage over a select few of the cast. Any time I get a difficult match up though, I tend to pick Atlantis. Good stuff Qwark.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I'd appreciate tags. Forever King might, too.

I understand the logic behind this choice, I never would have thought all that myself but it makes sense.

Fortress of Solitude is a great stage for Adam as well. He has big-ass combos on top left, broken option selects on top right, an interactable he can evade very easily and combo into with b23u+interactable in top mid. Bottom right he has meterless resets that are + on block (laaaaaaawl), offensively black adam dominates this stage. He doesn't have the defensive toolset like he does on Atlantis but it's a good, different approach.
FrothyOmen

there you go