What's new

The Batman Pressure System

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I would like to preface this by saying that this is a work in progress. Still, I wanted to share with you all what I've been messing around with so far. Probably much of this is already known, but it could still help newer players in improving their mid-screen game. I know that it has been helping me quite a bit.

Before I begin, some basic data.

(For those not aware, start-up usually refers to the second hit of the string. The first hit of both 2 and 1 are 10 and 6, respectively.)

22 String: 11 start-up. +8 on block. +14 on hit. Recovers in 18 frames.
1,2 String: 13 start-up. +6 on block. +16 on hit. Recover in 19 frames.
B11 String: 12 start-up. -4 on block. +11 on hit. Recover in 25 frames.

While there is no data for the advantage on Call Bats, I've been using Lex Luthor set to reversal Corpse Charge mode to test all of this out.

It's no secret that Call Bats and Release Bats are the heart of playing this character. What is interesting, to me, is how these strings and Call Bats work together to create some very strong frame traps.

After a naked 22 is blocked, your follow-up options are:

B23(Very tight)
123 (Easy)
113(Easy)
112(Easy, more on this later)
Throw
B11(Easy)
223/22(easy)
Jump

All of these options interrupt the reversal Corps Charge. Some of the execution windows may very, but I've tested this extensively and it does work.

After a naked 1,2 is blocked, your follow-up options are:

223(Tight)
123(Easy)
113(Easy)
122(Easy, more on this later)
Throw
B11 starter
Jump

Again, all of this options interrupt the reversal Corps Charge. Windows may very.

If you add Call Bats after these two strings, you have many of the same options. The difference being that with 1,2, you can actually sneak in a B23 due to advantage.

22 Call Bats Options:

Everything already listed.

1,2 Call Bats Options:

All of what was listed, plus B23.

B11 by itself does not do much. This is because of the slight negativity of the string. However, if you cancel into Call Bats, you have a few options.

Bear in mind, the windows for this string in particular are much, much tighter than the other two options.

B11 Call Bats options:

223 String
123 String
112 String
113 String

A word(finally) on 112:

The interesting thing about this string is that when you hit with it, if you have bats out, you can release them for a cross-up attempt. You could opt not to do this and simply jump in, but this is a bit more risky.

So what can you do with all of this?

Well, say you start with 1,2 Call Bats. You have enough advantage to go into all of the options above. We'll say you go into 22. This leaves you at enough to either release bats and cross-up, apply more pressure with any of your listed options, or throw. You could also jump in and use J2,22 which leaves you at advantage for yet more pressure.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When using 1,2 for advantage pressure, you should be aware that 1,2 actually moves you slightly further back then when you started. This means that, unless you are pressuring in the corner, some of your follow-ups will whiff. B2 won't and b1 won't, but follow-up hits in b1 strings might. Use with caution.

None of this is full-proof, of course. The second hit of 22 can be ducked and poked for a full combo. The first hit of 1,2 can be handled in much the same way. These are, by no means, block infinites. The advantage to all of this, though, is that you can really vary up how you mix your opponents up in the close game. It's very free-form in how you can approach, and you have a lot of choices in terms of conditioning the opponent to block the way you want them to.

In addition, many of these (Such as B23) are combo starters, especially with Bats loose. You could create the fear in your opponent of this and condition them to continue blocking. If they let go too soon, you simply hit-confirm and go into the full combo of your choice. You can, as discussed by others in this forum, end combos in the reset, which will allow you even more pressure.

It should be noted that I haven't discussed MB Batarang options just yet. Or the advantage you get off of F3 and B3. I need to do more lab work, but I'll return here with more that I find.

Again, I'm very sure a lot of this is known but it never hurts to have it on display.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Nice write up. This is helpful to me as I play batman but just for fun and rarely online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

hydezra

Noob
nice info ..but the problem is, i always go on full string, especially on 113, and i rarely use the call bats in the middle of the string, i use the call bats just for pressure starter and to approach the enemy
i have a few questions if you dont mind
is 113 safe? coz i never got punished by it on block, and this is the string that i always do for pressuring and also the string that i would go after doing j.2, even if j.2 blocked..
i rarely doing the 123 string for combo opener. and doing the 223 string only if the opponent gets hit by j.2.
what do you think?
im still new to this game fyi, and dont have many experiences on matchups

coolwhip

Noob
nice info ..but the problem is, i always go on full string, especially on 113, and i rarely use the call bats in the middle of the string, i use the call bats just for pressure starter and to approach the enemy
is 113 safe? coz i never got punished by it on block, and this is the string that i always do for pressuring and also the string that i would go after doing j.2, even if j.2 blocked..
i rarely doing the 123 string for combo opener. and doing the 223 string only if the opponent gets hit by j.2.
what do you think?

113 is +5 on block but has pushback. It can also be interrupted after 11 for a full combo. This is based on a read though since the Batman player could be going for 112 instead.

Rude

what do you think?
113 is safe, but there are problems with it. The first hit is "high." Which means that the first hit can be ducked for full-combo punishment. The third hit in 113 can be interrupted, as coolwhip said, after 11 with any down poke into full combo.

123 is more of a punisher string/combo string, but you can pressure with it. What you would want to do(and again, the "1" is high, so be careful) is use it when you are at advantage or when you know the opponent is standing.

You should always trait cancel your strings. You can even trait cancel after 112. The advantage is enough for several different follow-ups, including jumps.

223 is probably best for jumps, but you can use it if you've released bats, or if you've used Batman's reset, or when you are at advantage.

I hope all of this helps.

nice write up Rude. It seems to me that b1 has a ton of priority. I don't know how many times i've been hit out of normals/specials by it.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
This is good stuff. Something I like to do personally on the corner.

12~MB batarang (+38) b3 b11~call bats b23~release, dash into more pressure. MB batarang guarantees b3 which more or less guarantees b1 in the corner. So there are plenty of spots in here to mix up your opponent.

With that said, The important thing here, is GRABS. The threat of a throw off block advantage needs to always be present. I see far too few throws from bat players, and I ask why?! That extra layer of "do I tech or keep blocking" could be the difference between chipping your opponent a little or scoring a nice 30% off a mix up In to another mix up. I know it's fighting games 101, but with the barrage of negative frames your opponent will be stuck in, the third option of throw becomes THAT much more important for batman. Especially since just blocking low and watching for overheads and kinda shuts him down in the upclose game. Im looking at you Flash.

Rude

The B113,B112 strings are, in my opinion only, Batman's BEST strings. Absolutely. People say B23. B23 is good. Very good, in fact. However...every hit of B112 and B113 is safe. B1 by itself is neutral, so you have a TON of mindgames with conditioning just off that part of the string. B1, MB Batarang, B1 throw, B1 jump, B1, B11, etc.

With the last hit being an overhead on B112, there's really not much more you can ask for in a string.

This is good stuff. Something I like to do personally on the corner.

12~MB batarang (+38) b3 b11~call bats b23~release, dash into more pressure. MB batarang guarantees b3 which more or less guarantees b1 in the corner. So there are plenty of spots in here to mix up your opponent.

With that said, The important thing here, is GRABS. The threat of a throw off block advantage needs to always be present. I see far too few throws from bat players, and I ask why?! That extra layer of "do I tech or keep blocking" could be the difference between chipping your opponent a little or scoring a nice 30% off a mix up In to another mix up. I know it's fighting games 101, but with the barrage of negative frames your opponent will be stuck in, the third option of throw becomes THAT much more important for batman. Especially since just blocking low and watching for overheads and kinda shuts him down in the upclose game. Im looking at you Flash.
Just a small side note, not necessarily a disagreement. But batman has one of the worst throws in the game.

Carmine

PSN: CaptCarmine
can you do the same thing with 11 cb? and why isnt there any data for that since i thought 112 and 113 were such important strings for him

Rude

Unfortunately, no. Try as I did, 11 Call bats only gets you Corps Charged if you try anything else. 122 has important uses with meter that I'll get at later. 113 is also very important.

Repulsar

Noob
Thanks for all the great info on pressure Rude. Now about that 122 string...what are your thoughts on that string ? Is it completely useless cause of the super long recovery ? Personally i like the animation of the whole string(releasing the batarang at the end is super cool :p) but so far i cant find any good uses of it in a match.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Unfortunately, no. Try as I did, 11 Call bats only gets you Corps Charged if you try anything else. 122 has important uses with meter that I'll get at later. 113 is also very important.
122?! I love that string.

Rude

122 is VERY negative, even on hit. I really don't use it much BUT....you do have a mix-up between that and 123, so use it to your liking. What I dislike about 122 is that on hit, your pressure is basically over and they are free to wake up however they want.

But again, that's a matter of personal preference, I think.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
122 is VERY negative, even on hit. I really don't use it much BUT....you do have a mix-up between that and 123, so use it to your liking. What I dislike about 122 is that on hit, your pressure is basically over and they are free to wake up however they want.

But again, that's a matter of personal preference, I think.
What was the use you found with it using meter as mentioned above?

Rude

That was my b. I mis-read and thought they said 112. 112 is the amazing hot sex. 122 is not. I'm free to reading comprehension.