What's new

The Argument Against Normalized Throws

How do you prefer the throws to function?

• Strong (Mortal Kombat X)

Votes: 75 51.4%
  • Normalized (Beta Mortal Kombat XL)

Votes: 71 48.6%

• Total voters

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I'm still getting in my 8 throws a round

Also people just started to teching throws after SCR against foxy, so this is something NRS should have waited on imo.
You still need to unblock to tech, so by that rule you're opening yourself up to avoid the throw, it's no different to back then.

The fear of the throw is stronger than the throw itself.

Last edited:

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I'm still getting in my 8 throws a round

You still need to unblock to tech, so by that rule you're opening yourself up to avoid the throw, it's no different to back then.

The fear of the throw is stronger than the throw itself.
I just don't think players are at the awareness to tech throws just yet

And from my experience (opinion too I guess) there is enough of a window let go of block and tech, but j can't be sure as this is not easy to test

throw teching window isn't the problem imo.

Throw teching inputs are stupid. my preferred option isn't here. Make throw teching 1+3.

Chip on normals and throw tech guessing is absurd. At least there's not a crapton of plus on block normals that allow a forced guess, but if you know that someone is going to use a plus on block normal as a tick throw setup, you should be allowed to read it and tech the obvious throw without having to guess which direction it is. A universal throw tech input is the only thing that should have been adopted from inustice, and for some reason it's one of the things that wasn't. Just about every other fighter has figured out throw teching inputs. MK should have been able to as well.

Characters without mixups can and have won tournaments in games where throw teching works like that.

I guess I'd vote in favor of keeping strong throws, but I honestly cannot think of any reason teching the direction should be a guess. In the corner it's usually obvious which direction they are gonig to try and throw you though.

Matix218

Get over here!
I've been throwing people like crazy in the beta. I know they added a frame or two to the tech window but IMO it has not changed the game drastically. Teching throws is still a guess anyway. I am fine with how throws work in the beta and tbh I still think they will be plenty strong.

It's kind of funny to be opposed to the 50/50 meta and then argue in favor of a 50/50 that's still a 50/50 regardless of the beta change.

I just don't get why throws should be 50/50s at all. MK is the only game where they are. why?

I voted to keep normalized.

If you look at the game now, an absurd amount of time is spent in the corner. 2 successful offensive openings at most will put the game in the corner and it tends to stay there.

This change gives incentive for people to mix up their throw directions, meaning if you want to throw a cornered opponent you can't guarantee yourself continued corner control as well.

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
So were throws supposedly reactable before the beta? Because I can't see how those are reactable but Sub-Zero's overhead is considered unreactable, for instance. I always thought it was a read when top players teched.

Hi, I'm new so it'd be great if anyone can answer these questions please as they pertain to this thread.
1) What's the difference between a "strong" throw and a "normalized" throw?
2) How do you "tech" a throw in MKX?
3) What do you guys mean when you say throws are 50/50?

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Can we just make an M2Dave adlib that we can fill out every month or two to save us from his ignorance-saturated rants?

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
I think people should start trying to duck grabs since that eliminates the guess altogether. If you can correctly read when someone is trying to grab you, why should you make another one? Higher risk/higher reward though
it's not even an higher risk to duck throws, it's the exact same risk, with the difference that you eliminate the 50/50 part and you get an higher reward by full combo punish it.

teching: higher risk / low reward
ducking: high risk / higher reward