What's new

The Argument Against Normalized Throws

How do you prefer the throws to function?

• Strong (Mortal Kombat X)

Votes: 75 51.4%
  • Normalized (Beta Mortal Kombat XL)

Votes: 71 48.6%

• Total voters

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Throws have allegedly been normalized. According to reports, the escape window has been increased by an unknown amount of frames, permitting throws to be escaped easier. I think this change is abysmal for the following reasons.

1. Almost all zoning and defensive characters (i.e., Balanced Kenshi, Cybernetic Kano, Hish-Qu-Ten Predator, Royal Storm Kitana, etc.) lack 50/50 mix ups and thus rely on throws and staggered strings to create offense.

2. All vortex characters rely on 50/50 mix ups to break down opponents while all command throw characters rely on command throws to break down opponents. The point is vortex characters and command throw characters do not benefit from strong throws because they have superior mix ups.

3. People in the community have the image stuck in their heads of Foxy throwing opponents over and over again in the corner. Remember that Kung Lao's pressure has been normalized because the advantage on the EX hat spin has been reduced.

4. People in the community could not escape throws online because of lag. With the implementation of the enhanced online gameplay, this issue ought to be fixed.

5. High level players escape throws fairly well. As seen on stream, strong players like DJT and Scar are known to escape throws consistently.

The reality is that strong throws help characters with weak mix ups. They do not affect characters who already have good mix ups. Characters whom some people consider to have an overpowered throw game are being normalized in the beta. I personally think throws have been normalized so scrubs can finally escape throws and feel good about themselves, yet a fighting game should rarely ever be changed based on the lowest level of play. Revert throws to how they are currently in Mortal Kombat X.

Agree or disagree?

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
Hey man I'm with you on this one. I really hope this change doesn't make it..

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Totally agree. Increasing the window to escape throws is a step in the wrong direction, and would unfairly hurt many characters.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I haven't played the beta so I don't know how much the window has changed exactly, but I feel like throws are too powerful in the current patch. They're a 50/50 in itself (though a limited one considering you don't want to throw people away from the corner) and the tech window is quite small as it is.

But then again I only play online. We'll have to see how this turns out

shura30

Shura
unless they're going to give each char a different escape window
if there's both a low and an overhead in the moveset the window will change accordingly

screencap this, not a stupid idea at all, calling it now

carrion4worm

king of the underground
I think the beta is close to feeling "right" as far as throws are concerned. Maybe a frame tweak here or there as time goes on to slightly lessen the window, but I'm enjoying my new-found "teching" ability online.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
Throws have allegedly been normalized. According to reports, the escape window has been increased by an unknown amount of frames, permitting throws to be escaped easier. I think this change is abysmal for the following reasons.

1. Almost all zoning and defensive characters (i.e., Balanced Kenshi, Cybernetic Kano, Hish-Qu-Ten Predator, Royal Storm Kitana, etc.) lack 50/50 mix ups and thus rely on throws and staggered strings to create offense.

2. All vortex characters rely on 50/50 mix ups to break down opponents while all command throw characters rely on command throws to break down opponents. The point is vortex characters and command throw characters do not benefit from strong throws because they have superior mix ups.

3. People in the community have the image stuck in their heads of Foxy throwing opponents over and over again in the corner. Remember that Kung Lao's pressure has been normalized because the advantage on the EX hat spin has been reduced.

4. People in the community could not escape throws online because of lag. With the implementation of the enhanced online gameplay, this issue ought to be fixed.

5. High level players escape throws fairly well. As seen on stream, strong players like DJT and Scar are known to escape throws consistently.

The reality is that strong throws help characters with weak mix ups. They do not affect characters who already have good mix ups. Characters whom some people consider to have an overpowered throw game are being normalized in the beta. I personally think throws have been normalized so scrubs can finally escape throws and feel good about themselves, yet a fighting game should rarely ever be changed based on the lowest level of play. Revert throws to how they are currently in Mortal Kombat X.

Agree or disagree?
The throws were perfectly fine imo, idk why they nerfed them :/.
Edit: The only post Dave has ever made without calling someone a "Scrub"?:DOGE

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I really dislike the idea of the new scrubs *clears throat* sorry, new throws. Musta got some of that M2Dave stuck in my throat from lunch

Well, to be clear, I just like throws the way they are. Maybe a teching change. Just not absurd.

Well I don't know how it is in MKXL but in Injustice for example it was too easy to escape throws. Something like Tekken's throw system is a little too much, but I'm not a Tekken player so I don't know. I think MKX throw system is very slightly too much because it's a 50/50. Of course someone won't throw you out of the corner so it's easy in that situation.

I think it's fine the way it is. Just train teching throws.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
If strong players already tech throws non stop (point 5 in the OP), then this change is irrelevant at high level.
Then what's the point of not having it?

And pls no "this is what separates skill" responses, this is not street fighter elitist crap that rely on physical elements of the human body to win. If you meant that thing about "scrubs" can tech trows please do everyone a favor and go play Street Fighter.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Well I don't know how it is in MKXL but in Injustice for example it was too easy to escape throws. Something like Tekken's throw system is a little too much, but I'm not a Tekken player so I don't know. I think MKX throw system is very slightly too much because it's a 50/50. Of course someone won't throw you out of the corner so it's easy in that situation.

I think it's fine the way it is. Just train teching throws.
Throws in tekken have pretty big tech windows. And it's not a total guess, you tech left or right and depending what arm they grabbed you with is the way you tech.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I like easier to tech throws. It means if somebody has you in the corner, and they want to throw you because it's the only way they can open you up - they have to throw you out of the corner (if you keep teching their regular throw). Since throwing is a 50/50, I think it's fair that they're reactable.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
There are characters that rely much more in throws because they have more difficulites to open up opponents (like Kenshi).

As they are differences between, for example, uppercut properties, why could not the throws be different depending on the character?
If a character has a strong 50/50 game, it should have a worse throw than a character that has not 50/50s or sucks up close.

they should keep strong MKX throw for weak characters some of them that u mentioned and bring the new throws for other characters
for example all kenshi buffs can be for naught if they take his throw, 50% of his strength away...

Last edited: