What's new

General/Other The Aquaman Appreciation Thread

Do you appreciate Aquaman?

• Total voters

coolwhip

Noob
Correct..

his offense is total risk and only works if the user is very good at reading the opponent. His offense is a product of the player and not the character. This dumb notion that he can "just d1~mb trident you to death, so dumb" is false and the biggest reason why other Aquaman players just dont even come close to understanding what they should.
Tom, I'd really love to see you make videos to explain this further, the way you used to do with Sub-Zero. I say this because you bring this point up in every post but very rarely elaborate.

I genuinely want to know, because I don't find Aquaman to be that risky. I mean if you consider his offense risky, then you could say the same for Batman who has holes in almost every string (the second hit of B11 whiffs occasionally, the second hit of 223 is a high and whiffs on crouch block, 113 is interruptable, the final hit of 112 can whiff, etc...). All these strings are full combo punishable by every character in the game. Yes, his trait covers for some of these holes but then again, so does Aquaman's trait. I bring this up because of your conversation with FOREVER KING regarding Aquaman and Batman. Keep in mind, I do think Batman is very good, but I think you're overselling how risky Aquaman is, especially compared to most characters in the game. MB trident is punishable? Well, most characters struggle to do so, and it still does 15% chip and 27% on hit! For one special move. The fact that it's punishable by some characters doesn't mean it's not a ridiculous move. Otherwise Kung Lao's spin would be considered not good.

Last edited:
Tom, I'd really love to see you make videos to explain this further, the way you used to do with Sub-Zero. I say this because you bring this point up in every post but very rarely elaborate.

I genuinely want to know, because I don't find Aquaman to be that risky. I mean if you consider his offense risky, then you could say the same for Batman who has wholes in almost every string (the second hit of B11 whiffs occasionally, the second hit of 223 is a high and whiffs on crouch block, 113 is interruptable, the final hit of 112 can whiff, etc...). All these strings are full combo punishable by every character in the game. Yes, his trait covers for some of these holes but then again, so does Aquaman's trait. I bring this up because of your conversation with FOREVER KING regarding Aquaman and Batman. Keep in mind, I do think Batman is very good, but I think you're overselling how risky Aquaman is, especially compared to most characters in the game. MB trident is punishable? Well, most characters struggle to do so, and it still does 15% chip and 27% on hit! For one special move. The fact that it's punishable by some characters doesn't mean it's not a ridiculous move. Otherwise Kung Lao's spin would be considered not good.
I can't until I win a major. Now that I am finally able to play IGAU (something that I was unable to do over the last 4 months due to work) it will hopefully come soon.

I have to win another major first so that certain players will shut the fuck up and let me talk about the character.

Last edited:

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Exactly, those numbers do not match the ones you mentioned. Always up-playing Myles.
The matchup chart is out of date. If it was updated with what was being said in that thread Killer Frost would be 8-2ing Aquaman because she punishes trident as well as 6-4ing Superman & Black Adam

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Actually, I have done extensive research on this matter.

Have you ever wondered why certain players hate Aquaman? I have.

They do because they want easy wins with simple-minded strategies. They want to jump, teleport, abuse gimmicks, etc. to victory.

Aquaman counters these strategies.
Same thing for smoke haters

People who hate smoke just wanna zone and not play footsies

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
The matchup chart is out of date. If it was updated with what was being said in that thread Killer Frost would be 8-2ing Aquaman because she punishes trident as well as 6-4ing Superman & Black Adam
Like I said before, your MU numbers not mine.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I just realized I've played more Cyborgs recently than I have Aquaman.

I'm an Aquaman main with basically no Aquaman experience. The only good one I've ever played is Brady's.

Lets just petition NRS to remove Aquaman from the game. fuck'em.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
I just realized I've played more Cyborgs recently than I have Aquaman.

I'm an Aquaman main with basically no Aquaman experience. The only good one I've ever played is Brady's.

Lets just petition NRS to remove Aquaman from the game. fuck'em.
Usually when I pick Aquaman people ( as in aquaman mains ) tend to avoid the mirror and pick deathstroke or lantern...( i also think deathstroke is a bad match up )

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Lol at Aquaman being risky. A very small percentage of the cast can punish trident rush. Even those who can may not get a full punish because of his trait and thebspacing of the move. I see absolutely no reason not to use it against characters who can't punish. Aqua always has meter because of FTD and regular trident rush.
Also General M2Dave my zoning doesn't look overrated against you :p. I think differently about Aqua than you. I think he allows scrubs to play the game that otherwise would not be able to deal with weaknesses such as a shaky aa and limited footsies. The only thing I appreciate about this character is that he can't beat Sinestro without knowing the MU extensively.

Error404

Noob
Here he goes again with the zoning is bad BS , even tough a zoner won the last tournament by beating an anti-zoner in the grand finals , but not to get off topic Aquaman is powerful no doubt but i feel he is the character that has to work the most out of all the top tiers in order to be dominating .While his trait is amazing in most MUs there are ways around it for a large portion of the cast , his offense works in an identical way , great a lot of the time but you can get your back blown out if you are getting reckless.

Lol at Aquaman being risky. A very small percentage of the cast can punish trident rush. Even those who can may not get a full punish because of his trait and thebspacing of the move. I see absolutely no reason not to use it against characters who can't punish. Aqua always has meter because of FTD and regular trident rush.
Also General M2Dave my zoning doesn't look overrated against you :p. I think differently about Aqua than you. I think he allows scrubs to play the game that otherwise would not be able to deal with weaknesses such as a shaky aa and limited footsies. The only thing I appreciate about this character is that he can't beat Sinestro without knowing the MU extensively.
You don't understand the character. I say this with respect, dont take it any other way.

Also, its not that Aquaman wont beat Sinestro w/o extensive knowledge of the mu. Aquaman wont beat him at high level unless the Aquaman player has extensive knowledge of Aquaman. The fact that there is more misinformation than correct information is what holds Aquaman players back.

After I do what is required at a major again (hopefuly this weekend) I can finally talk about the character and clear all the misinformation up.

Last edited:

Syknis

King of the Kiddie Pool
Finally some Aquaman talk lol thanks dave. You could compare aquas defense to a brick wall. It's so good in some mu's :) characters will just need to make a beautiful read to knock him down. Also everybody is talking about his ok offense but lbsh aqua has other ways to open people up. I mean I get that good players will guard the "online 50/50" offline I've been there. But the reach in his normal are gdlk, his trident rush can be annoying on block and hit, and a good FTD will blow up a jump/dash back for 30-33%. Some of these stuff can be blown up bad but he's more than capable to do damage in that area. Plus if the aqua players knows all of your options after f21+3 ender it's going to be a bad day

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Aquaman will forever remain close to my heart. Even if I don't like him in this game, he is the greatest hero.

deg222

Best Zatanna that uses Aquaman
Some Zatanna salt huh Dave? haha

In all seriousness, I just hate how you can't react to blocking FtP online when trying to get in on Aquaman. But I guess that's just an online complaint and not an Aquaman complaint.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Some Zatanna salt huh Dave? haha

In all seriousness, I just hate how you can't react to blocking FtP online when trying to get in on Aquaman. But I guess that's just an online complaint and not an Aquaman complaint.
?

Reactions: gdf