What's new

General/Other The Aquaman Appreciation Thread

Do you appreciate Aquaman?

• Total voters

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Like most of you fools, when Injustice: GAU was first released, I used to despise fighting Aquaman. In fact, I suffered many losses at the hands of Tom “You Anger Me” Brady. Zoning was tedious, doing combos was difficult, and jumping forward was impossible. But I finally understand that Aquaman is a necessity to this game for the following reasons.

Anti-Jumping Attacks – even with the improved hit boxes on all uppercuts, some jumping attacks are still inexplicably hard to anti air. Scrubs love to jump, and Batman’s j.2, Deathstroke’s j.3, and Doomsday’s j.3, to name a few, present problems for the vast majority of characters. The so-called “scrubby jump technique” has even been adopted by a few high level players (no offense, DarthArma and FOREVER KING), but Aquaman’s d+2 says “No, stay on the ground, you jumping fools”.

Anti-Mix Ups and Anti-Gimmicks – the most powerful aspect of Injustice: GAU is the mix up. Ultimately, all fighting games revolve around mix ups, but few revolve around constant 50/50 mix ups. The 50/50 mix up is the scrubbiest aspect of Injustice: GAU, yet Aquaman is the only character who has the ability to limit its random nature. If you use Aquaman, you do not have to worry about fighting SonicFox5000 ‘s Batgirl and second guessing yourself because you are unsure whether the fool is going for the overhead for the 5th consecutive time. Likewise, if you use Aquaman against deg222 ‘s or Mr. Mileena ‘s Zatanna, you do not have to worry about not knowing the 1000 gimmicks that they use because you never fight Zatanna. Just tap 4 on your pad and enjoy yourself.

Anti-Zoning – Despite what the Chicago propagandists claim, zoning is irrelevant in Injustice: GAU. Nonetheless, it does maintain a light presence in some match ups. For example, Sinestro can zone some characters efficiently. But just not Aquaman. If you are tired of WoundCowboy ‘s overrated zoning, select Aquaman on the character select screen, perform a couple of FTDs here and there, and the “Aquaman is Kenshi” comparisons will soon follow.

Anti-Teleport – well, I honestly mean anti-Martian Manhunter teleport, which must have been developed with scrubs in mind. Never before has such a scrubby teleport special move been designed in the history of fighting games. The game’s scrubbiest special move is countered by Aquaman’s FTD which starts from the ground just like Martian Manhunter’s teleport. The scrubby teleport spam technique, initiated and perfected by Rebelo and dribirut, is well-countered by Aquaman. You will know you did your job right when the Martian Manhunter players switch to Green Lantern.

Tom Brady
EMPEROR_THEO
Syknis
GGA Dizzy

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Actually, I have done extensive research on this matter.

Have you ever wondered why certain players hate Aquaman? I have.

They do because they want easy wins with simple-minded strategies. They want to jump, teleport, abuse gimmicks, etc. to victory.

Aquaman counters these strategies.
I play Frost so I haven't wondered why people hate Aquaman.

Pyronn

Noob
Like most of you fools, when Injustice: GAU was first released, I used to despise fighting Aquaman. Zoning was tedious, doing combos was difficult, and jumping forward was impossible.

- But I finally understand that Aquaman is a necessity to this game for the following reasons.

Anti-Jumping Attacks – Scrubs love to jump, and Batman’s j.2, Deathstroke’s j.3, and Doomsday’s j.3, to name a few, present problems for the vast majority of characters. The so-called “scrubby jump technique” has even been adopted by a few high level players , but Aquaman’s d+2 says “No, stay on the ground, you jumping fools”.

Anti-Mix Ups and Anti-Gimmicks – If you use Aquaman, you do not have to worry about not knowing the 1000 gimmicks that they use because you never fight Zatanna. Just tap 4 on your pad and enjoy yourself.

Anti-Zoning – Overrated zoning = select Aquaman on the character select screen, perform a couple of FTDs here and there, and the “Aquaman is Kenshi” comparisons will soon follow.

Anti-Teleport – .. developed with scrubs in mind. Never before has such a scrubby teleport special move been designed in the history of fighting games. The game’s scrubbiest special move is countered by Aquaman’s FTD . The scrubby teleport spam technique is well-countered by Aquaman. You will know you did your job right when the Martian Manhunter players switch to Green Lantern.

Here's the condensed version :coffee:

None-the-less , good post Dave.

This post has been brought to you by the word scrub, and all the greatness is brings to forums. Injustice: Scrubs Among Us :joker:

Last edited:

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
It's very interesting the characters I use now and the characters I thought I'd use/looked cool prior to the game coming out. Never knew who the hell Black Adam was, but thought he was badass and figured I'd use him. Raven was on the top of my list, and is the only character I stuck with post launch. However I was very pleased with how Aquaman looked. I know NRS intentionally made him a badass due to the flak he usually gets. I thought Ares and Killer Frost were going to be no name punching bags. I got the game and thought, eh, Aquaman looks cool, I think I'm gonna main him.

Popped the game in and went into training mode, with my 4 year old watching.

"Daddy, daddy, can you use the princess?" (She was referring to Wonder Woman)
Rickyraws: "Uh sure thing, honey, but first let me try out Aquaman. He's the king of the ocean, you know!"
Honey: "Oooooh wow! Like Ariel?" (She didn't know how to express Ariel's father in the little mermaid, but I knew)
Rickyraws: "Yes honey, like Ariel."

The hall of justice blew me a way and was instantly one of my favorite stages as I started to practice what Aquaman could do. I trident rush MBed
Rickyraws: "LOL well, I guess he's this game's Honda!"

I thought the name and animation of From the Deep was so badass and MBed it to see it hit the opponent in the air. I b12xxFTD but never thought to follow up with d12FTD Mb afterwards. I kept messing around and eventually landed my first 40% combo. Didn't know what his trait did, as I'm stubborn and like to figure things out on my own terms. The 40% was very stylish.

Rickyraws: Honey did you see that? The lighting came from the-
Honey: Dad, Shut the fuck up! You use AQUAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
Rickyraws:?!?

Petrified, I proceeded to main Frost and never looked back.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I don't mind Aquaman being in the game, I just think his trait should be something different. Or have as long of a cooldown as Flash's trait

Actually, I have done extensive research on this matter.

Have you ever wondered why certain players hate Aquaman? I have.

They do because they want easy wins with simple-minded strategies. They want to jump, teleport, abuse gimmicks, etc. to victory.

Aquaman counters these strategies.
This. Exactly this.

Aquaman has strong defense but relatively weak offense, I think its a fair trade.
Correct..

his offense is total risk and only works if the user is very good at reading the opponent. His offense is a product of the player and not the character. This dumb notion that he can "just d1~mb trident you to death, so dumb" is false and the biggest reason why other Aquaman players just dont even come close to understanding what they should.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Correct..

his offense is total risk and only works if the user is very good at reading the opponent. His offense is a product of the player and not the character. This dumb notion that he can "just d1~mb trident you to death, so dumb" is false and the biggest reason why other Aquaman players just dont even come close to understanding what they should.
Randomly Ji2 ing, assuming he has an unseeable 50/50, FTDing even after getting punished multiple times, and having the opponent not launch them, but open them up causes some players of Aquaman and players playing AGAINST Aquaman think he's some kind of safe juggernaut. The description I made of Aquaman before was a liiiiitle like Sinestro: Typically unsafe, but designed with a trait to cover this aspect. If someone doesn't punish what you're doing, it doesn't make you safe, and an Aquaman that knows his weakness won't blatantly allow it to be exploited. Some feel that just because no one punishes things that Aquaman does, what he's doing is Unpunishable. But then again, people online to this day, 8 months into the game think repeatedly using Batman's b23 in the corner is an infinite, so I don't even know what to say anymore. The Aquaman uproar, at least IMO, is a lot of people making him out to be some kind of broken crazy character that's safe after everything. I think Aquaman is a great character, one of the best even, but DEFINITELY don't see where the Aquaman stigma comes from. God forbid he has good match ups.