What's new

The 3 months following legal custom variations!

So, once custom variations becomes the normality, what do you see being the biggest takeaways in 3 months time?

I see an influx of players who previously gave the game up for mechanical reasons, but coming back because this is all new.

I see an influx of ‘broken’ build forum posts

I see the tournament meta still being unclear after three months, but the introduction of counter move picking as opposed to counter character picking... so keeping your main character, but swapping moves to suit what you need for that match.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Ultimately customs has always been in the game, nothing new is being added. If people got bored of the shitty variations in ranked, they could have gone to customs to have fun. So people doing that, may go back to competitive.

But if they left the entire game, they obviously don't find this game fun, otherwise they would have just played customs when they abandoned ranked, instead of abandoning the whole game.

It might bring people back for a short period of time, but people who left obviously find the base game not worth their time, so will get bored again. That is my speculation.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Ultimately customs has always been in the game, nothing new is being added. If people got bored of the shitty variations in ranked, they could have gone to customs to have fun. So people doing that, may go back to competitive.

But if they left the entire game, they obviously don't find this game fun, otherwise they would have just played customs when they abandoned ranked, instead of abandoning the whole game.

It might bring people back for a short period of time, but people who left obviously find the base game not worth their time, so will get bored again. That is my speculation.
Depends on why they left.

The reasons I know a couple of friends of mine took a break from the game are actually being addressed this patch.

Oppressive d1s/d3s, fatal blows being too safe, and delayed wakeup being the main ones.

Normality will be the new finisher. Announcer: "FINISH HIM!" Kollector: "Actually I have to finish filing these taxes" :coffee:

Last edited:

asddgd

Noob
I left the game because of this, im coming back for customs. I play competetive games so. Casuals dont do it for me, if its not tournament legal, its not worth doing. Plus casuals are annoying. Its rare to have someone worth doing a long set with and i hate playing single matches against randos over and over. Just let me fto3 and be done.
Customs are what made this game fun, so stupid it took them this long to do it.

p.s. - a quick fuck you to all those contrived, nonsense spouting chuckleheads. When i criticized the game in the beginning for this very thing it was always “itll never happen cause it cant be balanced”. Welp, here it is

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
My guess is the following:

• A good chunk of the better variations will be found within the first month or so. Lots of top players will play them much of the time.
  • Some people still will bring lesser-used combinations to tournament, because they just prefer a certain style, and it'll be hype
  • Sonic Fox will have some extremely weird and borderline broken stuff with a character you didn't expect
  • Some people will complain loudly that the game is broken or that NRS made things unfair for their character/too good for another character
  • There will be lots of yelling about one particular loadout on 1-2 characters that are too strong
  • Tournaments are going to be crazy exciting for the next few months
  • The overall balance will be more or less the same -- different characters will move up or down, but we'll still have a top tier, mid tier, and bottom tier like before.

Do people think we will start seeing counter move picking vs counter character picking? I’ve not played enough of the game to know how much a certain move could change how a character functions in their entirety.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Oh I definitely think many will scream X character is broken a week into Customs and hundreds will cry until they get nerfs.

Months down the road everyone will find out it's not so broken and things will settle down. But it will be very exciting
I'm glad many characters will be more free to play them how they where intended

Benlo

PrayforSareena
Proabably a certain number of complains against Kitana :DOGE

Time for the Princess to shine again.

Sub Zero being even more of a nightmare, when you can't even keep his stupid 50/50 with d4s in check because now the bastard can just slide at you.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
It will be impossible to find quality Youtube content without sorting through an endless sea of "TOTALLY BROKEN" variation videos...
All of which will involve cherrypicked scenarios that will likely have multiple key counters.

"IMPOSSIBLE TO DEFEND PRESSURE LOOPS :eek::eek:"
"THE ULTIMATE 50/50 VARIATION.. IS A ZONER?!"
"FILL THE SCREEN - EVEN CETRION CAN'T COMPETE"

All of which have either a headshot of the youtuber making a fake as fuck shocked face or a bunch of arrows / emojis.

...god I hate YouTube normy content.

Gaxkang

Banned
All of which will involve cherrypicked scenarios that will likely have multiple key counters.

"IMPOSSIBLE TO DEFEND PRESSURE LOOPS :eek::eek:"
"THE ULTIMATE 50/50 VARIATION.. IS A ZONER?!"
"FILL THE SCREEN - EVEN CETRION CAN'T COMPETE"

All of which have either a headshot of the youtuber making a fake as fuck shocked face or a bunch of arrows / emojis.

...god I hate YouTube normy content.
RRRRRRRRRRREACTION! :p

Please remember to subscribe... :D