What's new

Combo List - Shinnok "That is a god's power!" Shinnok Optimal BnB Combos

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
I'm not sure why his stuff would whiff on males instead of females

Normally it's the females who have the small hitboxes.
That's what I thought too, so when news of this while I was streaming broke I had to stop my set with @RM Jonnitti just to read it. It's very peculiar to see his shit works better on females than males. I thought females fell faster but had a higher pop-up? For males, 312 XX EX Fiend not connecting midscreen is brutal. It once again means that string is just not good, because you can't special cancel anything other than flick or amulet after and who wants that?

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
That's what I thought too, so when news of this while I was streaming broke I had to stop my set with @RM Jonnitti just to read it. It's very peculiar to see his shit works better on females than males. I thought females fell faster but had a higher pop-up? For males, 312 XX EX Fiend not connecting midscreen is brutal. It once again means that string is just not good, because you can't special cancel anything other than flick or amulet after and who wants that?
Could you use Hellspark? 312 mb hellspark into whatever?

RM_NINfan101

Yeah Hellsparks whiff. I would really just only use 3,1,2 as a string maybe to stuff wakeups or to make people block midscreen if they're male at this point maybe it'll get looked into but idk.

RM_NINfan101

Well, that bites.

Bummer.
It does. It pisses me off a bit to be honest because Necro Shinnok doesn't have a lot to work with to begin with, so to have a string that can only combo in the corner on male characters unless you do a 31 XX EX Fiend on hit is just... You know you're spending one bar for no damage and who's just gonna get hit with 31? I'd rather just do hellsparks then.

So far, 22 XX EX Fiend into NJP, JIP1, F224 xx Fiend does 35% 1 bar midscreen but... 22 is a high/mid. That's...

Not opening your opponent up. Granted the string is only -4.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
That does bite. But you could use 22 as a fast punisher, maybe?

Like for teleports on block and stuff like that.

RM_NINfan101

That does bite. But you could use 22 as a fast punisher, maybe?

Like for teleports on block and stuff like that.
Depends on the pushback as 22 doesn't have much reach. Not even a matter of hitbox on that, you gotta be on your opponent, maybe two footsteps away if that.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
i personally was never a big fan of the 312 starter. range is kinda buns and you have a fast ass low that has a much higher chance of hitting your opponent that reaches just as far, if not farther. i pretty much start all my shit with f4 if im not going for a punish. sometimes ill throw in 112 or 22 but not much else

RM_NINfan101

i personally was never a big fan of the 312 starter. range is kinda buns and you have a fast ass low that has a much higher chance of hitting your opponent that reaches just as far, if not farther. i pretty much start all my shit with f4 if im not going for a punish. sometimes ill throw in 112 or 22 but not much else
The string just sucks in general, I just like how active it lasts.

I think they should of given Shinnok more than 3 strings period. He's so focused on normals it's bizarre. Most characters in the game are focused on strings to some degree. I mean, Don't get me wrong. B3/F4 is great, but the other normals confuse me, or why does he just have such few strings to begin with? He's a Fallen Elder God... Surely he knows some martial arts.

I think they should of given Shinnok more than 3 strings period. He's so focused on normals it's bizarre. Most characters in the game are focused on strings to some degree. I mean, Don't get me wrong. B3/F4 is great, but the other normals confuse me, or why does he just have such few strings to begin with? He's a Fallen Elder God... Surely he knows some martial arts.
lol right? Why doesn't he have any of that neo type shit he uses against Cage? or some red lightning attacks like he uses in his intros?

Reactions: SPY

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog

i personally prefer smaller move lists, but as you saw before, i tend to use only a few moves

RM_NINfan101

i personally prefer smaller move lists, but as you saw before, i tend to use only a few moves
I mean, that's all you need in Impostor.

Mimicry, Air teleport and IATP, plus frame normals and mixup with b3/f4.

Now, against other characters when you steal their moves there's more thought, but we only played a mirror match. All we used was normals, footsies, and punishes on negative shit. I lost most matches when I could not guess between F4/B3/grab. It was 7-11 you, Necro Vs. Impostor.

And honestly, I could not play that. That would literally bore the fuck out of me really fast, so I give you credit. I mean yeah Bison can be boring in SF4, but fuck at least I have to think about how I approach someone on Oki. Even when I play Necro I make sure to end everything in Fiend for that HKD because I hate delayed wakeup in this game and how there's no set time to it. They can get up when they want or wait the whole duration. So that means I can just do my B3/F4 at the time I want to provided online lets me or some other shiz doesn't happen.

I play Necro because truth be told, I enjoy this type of zoning. Thought and spacing is involved and vice versa. Setups, mind games... More than just the tools that Impostor gives me. In fact compared to Quan, if I wanted a 50/50 character that could zone and do everything but have a shitty wakeup like Shinnok, why not play Summoner Quan? I'm not saying Impostor is easy, far from it. You have to dedicate the time to learn character specific combos, that's never fun. You do it because you have to. Some may enjoy it, but I never liked his Shang Tsung gimmick from MK4 anyway.

I enjoy a bit of a challenge. It's just the challenge is the entire meta. You even said it yourself, the vortex helps because otherwise, how the fuck do you play this character? Bone Shaper finally seems to be the solution to that thankfully, which we can both sigh and relax on.

I'm sorry, but playing MKX purely as a poke, then go into my offensive option because I'm on hit advantage shit gets older than ever in this game to me, so I liked the zoning variation which still isn't bad, just not up to par with how godly rushdown and vortexes are.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
I mean, that's all you need in Impostor.

Mimicry, Air teleport and IATP, plus frame normals and mixup with b3/f4.

Now, against other characters when you steal their moves there's more thought, but we only played a mirror match. All we used was normals, footsies, and punishes on negative shit. I lost most matches when I could not guess between F4/B3/grab. It was 7-11 you, Necro Vs. Impostor.

And honestly, I could not play that. That would literally bore the fuck out of me really fast, so I give you credit. I mean yeah Bison can be boring in SF4, but fuck at least I have to think about how I approach someone on Oki. Even when I play Necro I make sure to end everything in Fiend for that HKD because I hate delayed wakeup in this game and how there's no set time to it. They can get up when they want or wait the whole duration. So that means I can just do my B3/F4 at the time I want to provided online lets me or some other shiz doesn't happen.

I play Necro because truth be told, I enjoy this type of zoning. Thought and spacing is involved and vice versa. Setups, mind games... More than just the tools that Impostor gives me. In fact compared to Quan, if I wanted a 50/50 character that could zone and do everything but have a shitty wakeup like Shinnok, why not play Summoner Quan? I'm not saying Impostor is easy, far from it. You have to dedicate the time to learn character specific combos, that's never fun. You do it because you have to. Some may enjoy it, but I never liked his Shang Tsung gimmick from MK4 anyway.

I enjoy a bit of a challenge. It's just the challenge is the entire meta. You even said it yourself, the vortex helps because otherwise, how the fuck do you play this character? Bone Shaper finally seems to be the solution to that thankfully, which we can both sigh and relax on.

I'm sorry, but playing MKX purely as a poke, then go into my offensive option because I'm on hit advantage shit gets older than ever in this game to me, so I liked the zoning variation which still isn't bad, just not up to par with how godly rushdown and vortexes are.
nah there isnt much more thought to it. most of the combos are pretty much the same thing, string into mb spark, dash up njp f2 stolen move f3 mimic. off of b3 you just do b3 f22 stolen move f3 mimicry or some variation of that. impostor shinnok isn't really that much of a thinking man's character, its a jonnitti character, one you can boil down to dumb simple. its really just play incredibly lame until you land a hit and then go ham on vortex. at times you will be able to just run up and do something if you get them to respect your midrange tools. ill be honest, the fact that he has the whole stolen move thing makes people think impostor is such a difficult character, when in reality its just all about laming it out until you land a hit. you have plenty of good tools for that in teleports (instant teleport esp) jump back punch, sparks, mimicry (used as a mid range poke), an amazing d2, a 7 frame low that goes pretty far and can be special canceled, amazing pokes and mb spark pressure (which i havent seen anyone do it the way i do yet).

also there isnt anything that impostor has thats plus other than stand 2 (+2) and mb spark. everything else is negative.

nah there isnt much more thought to it. most of the combos are pretty much the same thing, string into mb spark, dash up njp f2 stolen move f3 mimic. off of b3 you just do b3 f22 stolen move f3 mimicry or some variation of that. impostor shinnok isn't really that much of a thinking man's character, its a jonnitti character, one you can boil down to dumb simple. its really just play incredibly lame until you land a hit and then go ham on vortex. at times you will be able to just run up and do something if you get them to respect your midrange tools. ill be honest, the fact that he has the whole stolen move thing makes people think impostor is such a difficult character, when in reality its just all about laming it out until you land a hit. you have plenty of good tools for that in teleports (instant teleport esp) jump back punch, sparks, mimicry (used as a mid range poke), an amazing d2, a 7 frame low that goes pretty far and can be special canceled, amazing pokes and mb spark pressure (which i havent seen anyone do it the way i do yet).

also there isnt anything that impostor has thats plus other than stand 2 (+2) and mb spark. everything else is negative.
You have gotta think about changing you BnBs a bit if you wanna vortex Erron Black, Jauqui or even Sub Zero doe)) I even managed to do it for Takeda off of a low , after the b3 it is hard as balls.
But I agree it isn't as hard as it was for Shang in mk9 when you had to learn the normals and the timing for your morphing back mid combo )))

RM_NINfan101

I will admit, seeing you MB Sparks on the first hit to get the plus frames and time to do a F4/B3 setup or grab is... Very annoying, but I feel like 99% of the characters have some way of doing this anyway. It's just goofy. We also at the end were just doing things and chalking it up to online experience with the occasional hard read or fuck up. It certainly was an enjoyable set.

But damn, if you find him that easy... I mean, I certainly don't think Shinnok is bottom 5 anymore, we're way past that. But I still don't think he's any higher than upper mid. I do find it interesting you say though, you picked him because you felt he was easy. I can't say that's why I picked him, but I can appreciate the mentality.