What's new

Thank You NRS (and Everyone Else)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
When I joined this scene in 2012, after lurking, watching events and reading the forums since 2011, it was a completely different story. We had the hope of a young game in MK9 and a fresh scene -- but we were lucky to get space at a venue outside of some desolate corner, or to even have a stream for anything other than Top 8 at some major events (sometimes not even Top 8). Think about that.

While I was at Defend the North this weekend, I remembered that things have come almost full circle. Defend the North is an event that was practically a local a couple years ago. This year, we had players from all around the country.. Some of the best that play the game came all the way to White Plains for a 110+ man event (which used to be the size of our bigger majors!), without even having a huge pot bonus to draw them there.

---------------------

So what is it that's changed? For the first time, many friends and top players are backed by true, non-endemic organizations that are sponsoring and paying for flights, hotels and/or meals. To hear that so many people are traveling across the ocean for something like Viennality is really neat -- and it's something that just wouldn't have been possible only 2-3 years ago.

Much of this is possible now because of the support NRS has given our competitive scene. The original ESL MKX Pro League was a watershed event that brought major attention to our community -- and with increased prize pools, professional presentation and greater exposure, a lot of players gained the ability to both earn significant income and travel like never before.

And the Pro Series this year has given people a reason to make it out to all kinds of events. The points have really tied our year of offline tournaments together, giving it a narrative that helps spur everyone to compete. We take it for granted now, but we didn't have this only a few years ago.

SO:

I wanted to say thank you. First of all to NRS (and by extension, WB Games) -- thanks for listening and continuing to support the scene. Whether it's the Sub skins or the Tournament shaders, you guys are keeping an eye out for the tournament circuit and it rocks. Giving individual players shoutouts on the in-house streams is really cool. We take it for granted now, but it's great to feel loved, and we love you too.

To Ed Boon in particular, thanks for being willing to make this happen.

And to everybody in the community who's stuck around through thick and thin.. Thank you guys too. We toughed it out (after losing MLG!) and we're now seeing a great new era.

Lastly, minor shoutouts from DTN -- Whieboi, Theo, love you guys. Dragon, Grr, Sonic, Hayatei, Akro, The Magician, Insuperable, Kompetitor and whoever else I'm probably forgetting.. You guys are great and made for enjoyable hangs.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where things go for here -- and hoping we remember to stay positive and grateful for things the last couple generations never hard. Onward and upward -- let's go!!

@colt
@tylerlansdown
@Clutch8

@STORMS

Last edited:

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I've been a gamer for most of my life. The fact that with the release of MK9 I've been spending a huge percentage of my gaming time with NRS games specifically speaks volumes about how special they are. Thank you based NRS.

Ed, you lied in your poll about kp3, and said that people that thought injustice 2 would kill kp3 were wrong, but if you guys bring mk11 real soon, I'll let that go. Thanks.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I came to NRS games as we know them today when MKx dropped.. though what drew me in was actually Injustice 1. I used to watch streams at work, and stumbled on the game because I thought the name sounded cool. I didn't know anything about the FGC or even that Inj1 was a fighting game. Certainly didn't know the Mortal Kombat guys made it.

Well, the sound design immediately grabbed me. It just sounded so damn good. I had no idea wtf was happening, but it looked good and sounded absolutely incredible. It was towards the end of the games life though, so I never picked it up. I was told MKx was coming down the pipe and so I kinda waited.

MKx was my first competitive fighting game and I've been hopelessly hooked ever since.

The amount of attention to detail and love out in to these games is incredible, and they offer a style and experience you can't find elsewhere in the FGC. When I saw that NRS itself was, by it's contemporaries standards, very close to the community I knew this was something special and something I wanted to be involved with.

NRS kicks ass and the community, though it gets a sometimes well deserved bad reputation, is still the best community in the FGC imo. It's my genuine hope to sit down and grind out more Inj2 and become competent enough to really be a PART of that Community instead of watching from the side lines. (Notice me senpai...also someone who's already gitted gud, help me git gud too) .

It's an AMAZING time to be a part of the FGC and NRS and it's games are an enormous reason why that's the case.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This must have gotten buried quick, this is the first time I've seen it.
To be fair, posting it the day the patch dropped might not have been the smartest decision. But at the time I started writing it, I didn't know the patch was going to drop :confused: