What's new

TETRIS - WORST PROGRAMMING EVER?????

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Ok so i know the game is 35 years old and nobody gives a shit but i wanted to have a discussion based off some things I notice while playing. I'm sure there's still millions of people that have a version of the original NES 8-bit Tetris out there on whatever devices and I figured people here play it from time to time.

Let's face it, it's considered a classic and is probably one of the few NES games people still mess around with so i hope that kinda validates this thread.

Why is the AI so idiotic? They give you every piece in the game except the 1 you actually need, sometimes 7 or 8 of the same in a row.

Other times you will have a perfect set-up and they'll purposely give you several pieces in a row that you can NOT place anywhere for an ounce of use.

To add, once they DO manage to screw you up solely on what seems to be a pissed off AI simply punishing you for playing correctly... They continue the onslaught of throwing absolutely useless pieces at you preventing you from recovering from their arbitrary random screw up zingers.

WHY IS THE AI LIKE "WHOA, FUN POLICE, BETTER STOP THIS GUY" ??? It really baffles me who would program a game to be such a prick. I know people think it's random pieces at random but there's nothing random about it, and I've come to the conclusion that the AI is a Sociopath. Lol

These are merely a few things I picked out that seem so wrong but i have more. Does anyone else play this and just stare in awe sometimes wondering what the programmers were thinking because I'm like "WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO SOMEONE MUCH LESS CHARGE MONEY FOR IT?"

Gonna cut it off here even i really am not done lol What's up guys? Talk to me

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
My dad was fooling around with pass time last year, he probably still plays it.

I nes i only liked the game because of the music, it got me to know kalinka and bradinshky

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Watching competitive Tetris is some of the nuttiest stuff I've ever seen.

#TetrisForJonas
What is the highest score you've ever seen? Solo i mean... I have always wondered what the world record is
My dad was fooling around with pass time last year, he probably still plays it.

I nes i only liked the game because of the music, it got me to know kalinka and bradinshky
I'm guessing they are Russian composers?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Wow... I never seen anything like that in my life, i thought my 213,000 was good but apparently I'm trash. HOW DOES HE THINK SO FAST???????!!!!!!!
Same way a chess grand master can play multiple games blindfolded, or a world class piano player can read and memorize entire 60 minute concertos. Play it enough and you stop seeing individual pieces, you start seeing the whole screen as a continuous pattern.

Or on a smaller scale, it's like how when you're learning to read, after awhile your brain stops sorting things into individual letters, but starts recognizing the entire shape of the group of letters as a word and can even predict/fill in the gaps. It's why yuo cna porbalby raed tihs esaliy desptie teh msispeillgns.

E

Eldriken

Same way a chess grand master can play multiple games blindfolded, or a world class piano player can read and memorize entire 60 minute concertos. Play it enough and you stop seeing individual pieces, you start seeing the whole screen as a continuous pattern.

Or on a smaller scale, it's like how when you're learning to read, after awhile your brain stops sorting things into individual letters, but starts recognizing the entire shape of the group of letters as a word and can even predict/fill in the gaps. It's why yuo cna porbalby raed tihs esaliy desptie teh msispeillgns.
We look at the first and last letter and the brain does the rest. lol

Nestris is the only major version of Tetris that uses a truly random stream of pieces, which is why you can sometimes get the same piece several times I'm a row. Modern versions of the game use what's known as "7 bag" which means that the game will give you all 7 pieces but in a random order before giving you all 7 again in a different order.

I like Nestris but after playing the more modern/guideline versions and TGM, it feels archaic in some ways.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Nestris is the only major version of Tetris that uses a truly random stream of pieces, which is why you can sometimes get the same piece several times I'm a row. Modern versions of the game use what's known as "7 bag" which means that the game will give you all 7 pieces but in a random order before giving you all 7 again in a different order.

I like Nestris but after playing the more modern/guideline versions and TGM, it feels archaic in some ways.
Not sure if you’re aware, but Arez, the author of this thread, has passed away just recently. Thought you ought to know...

Not sure if you’re aware, but Arez, the author of this thread, has passed away just recently. Thought you ought to know...
Yeah I saw that after I posted this. That's a bummer, especially alcohol being the case. I used to be something just shy of a functional alcoholic and it's easy to get yourself in trouble with it.

I'm big into Tetris so I wanted to join in the discussion.