What's new

Testing new Q/A feature

STORMS

Owner / Director
Administrator
Do you like this and what kinds of forums do you feel this would be most useful?

Blade4693

VIVIVI
It's kind of reddity but I think it would be good that way we don't have to dig through pages among pages for the most helpful posts...assuming those are what get upvoted and not shitposts lol

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I notice that there are two types of posts that seem to get tons of likes on a forum.. Posts that are really on point, and troll posts. I've had a few posts recently that had 30-40 likes, but someone could easily grab just as many by being humorous or trolling, etc., and that's what's happened here historically.

The reason up/downvoting generally works on Reddit is because Reddit has a long-established culture of trying to promote the best replies -- but even Reddit has plenty of subs that fall prey to brigading, dogpiling (when people don't really try to understand a comment or fully read it, but just add to whatever the vote total is), etc. Reddit also has threaded commenting, so whole conversations generally stick together, etc.

Here, since the replies aren't threaded, the conversations become scrambled and out of order if you sort it, which becomes a bit confusing.

Based on this I'm not really sure how useful this'd be here. I'm not really in favor of using it for threads generally. Maybe if somebody asked a very specific question, but that's it.

Eldriken

Rip and tear, until it is done.
Forum General
I personally feel this will just be another "dislike" option fiasco that people will ruin for everyone else.

We could always give it a shot and see.

Eldriken

Rip and tear, until it is done.
Forum General
It's kind of reddity but I think it would be good that way we don't have to dig through pages among pages for the most helpful posts...assuming those are what get upvoted and not shitposts lol
That's exactly my concern. Too many trollish people on the Internet.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
News Editor
Perhaps just making a sub forum for Q/A for MK11 and TYM in general would work with this?

@Eldriken @CrimsonShadow @Juggs @HellblazerHawkman @scarsunseen
I'm just trying to think of a situation where this would be useful without abuse, but only things that come to mind can also be answered with a sticky'd thread. Like, a combo thread would have the OP updated with new combos, tech would have their own threads

STORMS

Owner / Director
Administrator
There will always be abuse... that's also why we moderate. However, I'd hope the usefulness outweighs it.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
Interesting as all the replies seem to be out of order. I can see this having use in the technology forums as those threads are usually questions.

Maybe there can be application on sub-forums for characters but most questions are quickly answered with a search or testing.

Edit: Just found out there's a sort by option and I had it on votes. :oops:

Last edited:

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
News Editor
Interesting as all the replies seem to be out of order. I can see this having use in the technology forums as those threads are usually questions.

Maybe there can be application on sub-forums for characters but most questions are quickly answered with a search or testing.
Could that work, having a question and answer forum attached to each character forum? So you have something like "Frost General Talk" and "Frost Q and A" where we could apply this?

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
You're able to vote for the best reply/answer in the thread.
and what exactly does the vote do? push that reply or overall the good rated replys up or is it just a new form of thumbs up?
edit- so it pushes the answer up.

maybe more a thing for technical things where direct answers which solve the problem can get voted up that way?
contests could use that feature too. i wouldnt use it for normal threads since it messes with the order.

Last edited: