What's new

Strategy Testing Luthor's MB Orbital Strike Reset vs Character Wake-Ups

NKZero

Noob
As highlighted in this characters' combo section, when you end corner combos with u+3--MB orbital strike, it will reset the opponent and you can loop this situation as long as you have meter. Now the only way this is escapable is via. wake-up attack. So what I'll do is I'll test the validity of this set-up against all wake-ups in the game (with and without tech roll and including supers). I'll record all the data below.

I'll be doing it with two different combos:
1) b+1, 3--MB gravity pull--f+3--j+2*--1, 1--1, 1--u+3--MB orbital strike
2) f+2--2--MB gravity pull--f+3--b+2--1, 1--u+3--MB orbital strike

* I believe that j+2 is more consistent to pull off than j+3 so I prefer to use that.

Combo 1 does 31% before the reset and combo 2 does 36%. Anyways here are the test results below...

BATMAN
  • Cape Parry: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
NIGHTWING
  • Ground Spark: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
FLASH
  • Speed Dodge: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Sonic Pound: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Running Man Stance: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
JOKER
  • Laughing Gas: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Rolling Laughing Gas: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Chattering Teeth: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS

HARLEY QUINN
  • Pop Pop: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Line of Fire: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Heads Up: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Silly Slide: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
SOLOMON GRUNDY
  • Cleaver Spin: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Walking Corpse: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • To the Grave: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Grave Rot: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Swamp Hands: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS

NKZero

Noob
SUPERMAN
  • Heat Vision: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Heat Zap: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
GREEN ARROW
  • Sky Alert: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Arsenal Assault (SUPER): SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
CYBORG
  • Up Sonic Disruptor: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Target Acquired: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
LEX LUTHOR
  • Gravity Mine: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Lex Probe: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Orbital Strike: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Lance Blast: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Up Lance Blast: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
CATWOMAN

• Cat Stance: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • High Feline Evade: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Low Feline Evade: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
DEATHSTROKE
  • NOTHING!!!!

NKZero

Noob
WONDER WOMAN
  • Shield Toss: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Up Shield: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
AQUAMAN
  • Water Shield: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
RAVEN
  • Empty Void: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Shadow Raven: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Negative Mass: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
ARES
  • Phase Shifter: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Dark Energy: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Front Warp Transmission: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
KILLER FROST
  • Frostbite: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Frozen Daggers: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
DOOMSDAY
  • Air Snatch: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS
  • Earth Shake: SET-UP WORKS IN ALL SITUATIONS

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
nice. NKZero 3 things:

- can you either post which wakeups it doesn't work against, or put a note if it works against all of a character's wakeups?
- i might be remembering wrong, but can't you not test against MB wakeups in practice mode? so are you sure it works against, for example, Grundy's mb cleaver spin?
- i'm assuming most of these trade with a wakeup rather than giving you a free combo off the missiles. so it might sound tedious, but it would be helpful to know which ones trade in your favor and which ones you can combo.

NKZero

Noob
nice. NKZero 3 things:

- can you either post which wakeups it doesn't work against, or put a note if it works against all of a character's wakeups?
- i might be remembering wrong, but can't you not test against MB wakeups in practice mode? so are you sure it works against, for example, Grundy's mb cleaver spin?
- i'm assuming most of these trade with a wakeup rather than giving you a free combo off the missiles. so it might sound tedious, but it would be helpful to know which ones trade in your favor and which ones you can combo.
Basically after I test all the wake-ups I was going to leave a note at the bottom which would state one of a variety of occurrences:
  • missiles trade with the wake-up but you can't follow up with a combo (these wake-ups were not included in my lists)*
  • wake-up avoids the set-up entirely (these wake-ups were not included)
  • since tech roll wake-ups are faster, I only included scenarios where the opponent tech rolls and is still caught by the trap (so in reality, if people don't tech roll, this list would expand to include more wake-ups susceptible to there reset)
So to summarize, the list above contains wake-ups that are cleanly stuffed by missiles and give you a potential extra loop, i.e. you can follow up with j+2--1, 1 etc. Sometimes, you may find the opponents' wake-up hits you but hit advantage is minimal and you can still continue with the loop (this applies to some of Raven's wake-ups iirc). Otherwise they weren't included. But yeah I probably do need to test MB wake-ups. I wish I had a list of which ones to test though :(.

*when missiles trade in this situation, Lex is often too far back to continue a full combo/loop, but you can get a Corps Charge vs an airborne opponent, or you have time to set up a mine/orb.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So I'm pretty sure this is an infinite (until you run out of meter) vs Batman. It'll beat out his super too. As long as you end in u3~missiles he can't do anything about it. The only thing that avoids it is the slide, which you can just block low and punish.

So basically anything in the corner into u3~missiles, block low, ggs batman.

Edit: nvm... i didn't realize rolls make wakeups beat it. why are corner rolls even in the game

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So I did find a way to make missiles a guessing game reset situation. I haven't tried it against all wakeup attacks, but against characters with stationary wakeups it should reset even if it trades.

If you do something like b13~mb vacuum, f3, j2, d2~missiles, it creates a situation where tech roll jumps/wakeups do or do not work depending on the height you hit your d2 at. If you hit them higher in the air, the typical escapes will not work against him. However, if you don't tech roll, stay down, and block, the unblockable will not hit you and you can block the missiles. HOWEVER, if they are able to block the missiles, you're now at +14 and get a free corner 50/50.

Additionally, if you hit your d2 when they're lower to the ground, it makes the same situation as the normal u3~missiles traps and they cannot just block it.

Was just practicing with the missile reset, and i'm not entirely sure if it works for the whole cast or even at all, but after doing any missile reset combo, example: B13, MB vac, F3, JI2, B2, U3, MB missile, if they try a wakeup attack that would trade with your missiles you can crouch block (don't know if it works with standing block too) to block the wakeup and then follow it up with a 112, MB vac, NJ2, 11. Dunno if this is any better or worse than the other missile reset combos, or if I'm even just repeating something someone said earlier, but figured i'd share it in case no one had brought it up

TurboTaco

Mexican street vendor
I'm pretty sure this is an infinite vs Hawkgirl until you run out of meter, she has no way to get out of it.