What's new

Test Your Backdash 2.0! All Characters' Backdashes Measured.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
Test Your Backdash!

TL : DR [COLOR=#ff4d4d]@Eddy Wang[/COLOR] posted a thread the other day here about backdashes that got me thinking. This is no matter of opinion--we can measure this shit! So I figured I would measure them. Like, with a ruler.

3/3/2016 Update
- New video includes all KP2 characters and is much more precise. Can also confirm that no backdash distances were changed in the patch.

Backdash As A Mechanic
All backdashes startup in 1 frame and provide invincibility within frame 1: basically your hurtbox vanishes. The only variables to my knowledge are distance, active frames (invincibility frames), and recovery (vulnerable frames). I have only measured distance, at least for right now. Later I may measure the active frames and recovery as well. A few players have done their own testing on backdash frame data and discuss it in the posts below. Backdash seems to function a bit differently if you use it as a reversal as opposed to in neutral, yielding more invincible frames if done as a reversal.

The Experiment

I made a goofy yellow ruler in paint to measure simply in "units", as an objective way to measure instead of just going by eye. Each unit is exactly 10 pixels (in paint) apart.

The original video was sort of shit since the camera zoom, which occurs when a player moves
away from the opponent, distorted the measurements. I've fixed that with the current video by using the Klose Kombat Perk ([COLOR=rgb(255, 77, 77)]@VengeSim[/COLOR]'s idea), meaning there is now virtually no distortion at all--any distortion which may remain is simply because the camera angle changes slightly in relation to the kharacter as the kharacter moves. This is totally negligible and I would estimate the margin of error, including distortion from camera angle and any possible human error in my measuring process to be within a maximum of ~0.4 units. Most of them are probably within 0.2 units or less.

I held block during the first tap back to ensure there is no movement prior to the dash. The distance measured is from the tip of the front toe, from starting position to ending position.

Mac mac was weird cuz his feet don't touch the ground unless you block, so I just blocked. Kotal was weird
too since he switches stance when you backdash, so I switched before measuring--just take that into account.

Old, Obsolete Video

Rankings

Average = 27.8 units
Tri-Borg 41.8
Sonya: 34.1
Kitana: 33.5
Reptile: 33.4
Tanya: 33
Tremor: 32.9
Scorpion: 32.5
Mileena: 32.1
Mac mac: 31.7
Erron: 31.1
Sub-Zero: 30.8
Liu Kang: 30.5
Cassie: 30
Kano: 29.9
Raiden: 29.7
Predator: 29.2
D'Vorrah: 29.2
Takeda: 29.2
Quan: 29.2
Kung Jin: 28.9
Johnny: 28.3
Leatherface: 28.3
Shinnok: 28.2
Jax: 27.4
Kung Lao: 27.2
Alien: 27.1
Kotal: 26.5 (after stance switch)
Jacqui: 26.1
Jason: 25.6
Ferra/Torr: 25.4
Kenshi: 25.1

Cho: 23.1
Goro: 21.7

Total Duration, Active and Recover Frames (in progress)

I may peer review this at some point, but for now, [COLOR=#ff4d4d]@The Celebrity[/COLOR] and [COLOR=#ff4d4d]@God Confirm[/COLOR] have posted their findings below. These differences seems to be very small, which leads me to believe that distance is likely the biggest factor in determining the quality of a character's backdash. I will say that the frame data is very situational and matchup dependent. A few strings or abilities will be capable of punishing one character's backdash, but not another's.

Last edited:

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
If you press back, characters will move backward a bit ulti the next back button is pressed (you're a human, are you able to press back back within 2 frames?) So this method to measure distance is not accurate because some characters (like Kitana as show in this video) have very fast walk speed and the first step of their walking covers a huge distance

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
If you press back, characters will move backward a bit ulti the next back button is pressed (you're a human, are you able to press back back within 2 frames?) So this method to measure distance is not accurate because some characters (like Kitana as show in this video) have very fast walk speed and the first step of their walking covers a huge distance
I covered that. I held block during the first tap back and released block before the 2nd tap back. The characters simply backdash; there was absolutely zero walking in this video :p

Last edited:

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
btw in kustom kombat i think you can choose a perk that makes the stage smaller and the screen doesnt zoom.
That is a very good idea. Wish I would have thought of that, shit. May have to redo this eventually under that scenario just to make everything pixel perfect.

Maybe when the KP2 characters roll out.

Last edited:

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Now it may have just been me, but it looked as though some characters with faster moving backdashes got held back by the borders. Mind testing, it wouldn't be hard, just do the exact same thing with Kano but move Sub up closer to him first and he should have more room. Just a hunch.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You're doing god's work, when i started my walkspeed thread, i asked if someone else has other methods to test other stuff, such as backdashes and forward dashes, i wish we could get more of these and test jump arcs and so on.

Also if possible, could you make a notation ranking the shortest backdash to the furthest?

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
@Trauma_and_Pain

After watching your video, I was really confused as to what makes Kano "have such a good backdash". I ended up thinking it was recovery frames (Kano's backdash must recover significantly faster than Goros!), so I went to the lab.

I tested every single characters backdash using reversals. I had them set to reversal backdash, poked them with Cassie and had them block again immediately after the backdash. I have an El Gato HD60, so I recorded this data in 60fps and brought it into Adobe Premiere where I counted the exact number of frames of everyone's backdash. From the point the text "reversal" first started appearing on the screen, to the point where they started their animation for blocking. The results surprised me to say the least:

• Jason - 31 frames recovery
  • Kung Lao - 32 frames recovery
  • Jax - 33 frames recovery
  • Sonya - 32 frame recovery
  • Kenshi - 32 frame recovery
  • Kitana - 31 frame recovery
  • Scorpion - 31 frame recovery
  • Subzero - 33 frame recovery
  • Mileena - 34 frame recovery
  • Takeda - 32 frame recovery
  • Cassie - 31 frame recovery
  • Jacqui - 30 frame recovery
  • Kung Jin - 32 frame recovery
  • Tanya - 30 frame recovery
  • Predator - 33 frame recovery
  • Shinnok - 30 frame recovery
  • Kano - 32 frame recovery
  • Johnny - 32 frame recovery
  • Erron Black - 32 frame recovery
  • Liu Kang - 32 frame recovery
  • Ermac - 31 frame recovery
  • Kotal Kahn - 31 frame recovery
  • Reptile - 31 frame recovery
  • Ferra/Torr - 33 frame recovery
  • D’vorah - 31 frame recovery
  • Raiden - 33 frame recovery
  • Quan Chi - 31 frame recovery
  • Goro - 33 frame recovery
  • Tremor - 32 frame recovery

It seems NRS actually made backdashes very consistent. Mileena's was overall the worst (just barely though), but there's absolutely nothing that makes Kano's backdash better than Sonya's. Sonya's goes further and they both recover in the same number of frames. Surprising to say as I always compliment Kano's backdash.

I would turn this data into a video if it yielded interesting results, but really this just goes to show that judging a backdash by "how good it looks" isnt a good idea and the only thing that makes them better is your video... the distance in which they cover.

I guess that just leaves Active frames to maybe make a difference? But I have a feeling thats consistent across the board.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
If its not startup, neither is recovery or distance traveled. So maybe the travel speed is different from character to character, this is probably where the differences are being held.

how fast one character cover ground when backdashing?

What is the entire duration of a backdash from startup to recovery?

How many units/frames they cover?

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
Now it may have just been me, but it looked as though some characters with faster moving backdashes got held back by the borders.
Nah, tested it. They can still walk back a decent ways.

Also if possible, could you make a notation ranking the shortest backdash to the furthest?
You mean like just a list? Yeah, I already have that, just didn't include it. It felt too nerdy. But fuck it, these forums are obsessed with lists. Yer fap material is in original post.

Last edited:

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
this just goes to show that judging a backdash by "how good it looks" isnt a good idea and the only thing that makes them better is your video... the distance in which they cover.

I guess that just leaves Active frames to maybe make a difference? But I have a feeling thats consistent across the board.
Wow that's an impressive test you did, it's relieving to see that they are so similar if it's all accurate.

Active frames are actually not 100% consistent across the board, the proof of that is below.

Scorpion is invulnerable through the entire Ferra Toss.

Sub-Zero is not.

Last edited:

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
-28 = Sub-Zero
-29 = Kitana, Reptile, Scorpion
-31 = Kung Lao

I'll edit this as I do more

Mileena has the distance, but not the evasion since her flip animation gets hit by stuff. Like grabs at +2.
Her animation extends past the invincibility frames.