What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Aramonde

Noob
Simply put...

Yes.

Thanks i play on pad tho, i'll find a tutorial. I thought the dashing all the time was just for tournament play lol. Man this gonna be a hard grind :) I cant believe that namco didn't make tutorials for this stuff in game.

So i went through Heihachi's movelist last nightand it was cool seeing all the moves i used to do in SC2 (even tho most of the inputs aren't the same), he was so fun in that game.

I found that EWGF is as hard as everyone said it was, i wasn't able to do a single one. I had a hard time doing demon uppercut (I think its called that). Why did they make so you have to return to neutral? It seems making shit complicated for no reason. Heihachi is my favorite Tekken character but im thinking of switching because he looks super hard to use.

Reactions: GAV
Okay ill provide a handful of links that will be useful to new players of any character. So feel free to pick and choose what you need:

Character Overviews:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yqgxbES6su4clpQou2hzlZN40rpPBtwmMRKWfexbj3g/edit

Nobi's Beginner Vids:
http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2016/3/24/nobis-beginner-guide-videos-for-tekken-7.html
https://www.openrec.tv/user/BV6_Pdx5NWvSW

T7 Frame Data:
http://rbnorway.org/t7-frame-data/

Yuu,Nobi,Take Tier List:
http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2017/5/27/japanese-players-yuu-nobi-take-share-their-tekken-7-tier-lis.html

Top 15 Moves For Each Char:
https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/

Tekken Forum(Lots Of Info):
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/

Tekken Zaibatsu Site Legend:
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/legend.php

Understanding And Building Fundamentals:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/clilt3cbzo59dlb/Understanding and building fundamentals in Tekken.docx?dl=0

Korean Backdash:
http://shoryuken.com/2017/02/17/this-is-the-year-you-will-learn-how-to-perform-tekkens-korean-backdash/

Sample Combos(Easy-Hard):

You can find the full playlist for all sample combos for every character from that video link.

Hopefully This will provide some helpful information for everyone to reference and this way everyone can whats what.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Ok, I lied about the whole last question thing.

Just curious, pad or stick?

I have both and I've always played NRS games on pad and pretty much everything else on stick, with everything else being SFiv/v and KOF. I haven't actually played enough GG to matter either way.

In most games it's preference as to which is better, but Tekken is a little odd. It LOOKS like pad would actually be superior due to the movement stuff.. if not in terms of raw speed then in terms of ease (returning to neutral on pad is much easier than stick of course.).

Shrug. Just curious. I'll try both. I've always found stick more fun, but I'm usually more accurate and precise on pad.
This game is actually perfectly fine on pad and I've actually always preferred it that way.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I would also like to note that the complexity of Tekken brings mental satisfaction like no other fighting game. I like being decent at NRS games, but it's nothing compared to Tekken. Winning in Tekken is so much more satisfying and rewarding in my opinion.

I'm honestly not even good at Tekken, I kind of suck, but it's still so ridiculously satisfying to play.
Fucking THIS!

This is like the only fighting game series where I still have fun even if I lose because it's so based purely around skill and mind games and shit.

You really have to outplay and outthink your opponent in these games. There aren't any really obnoxious gimmicks(I mean except capos if you're new to fighting them) and every character is completely viable so you don't have fuckers in an SSSS tier stomping Z tier characters with some kind of 11 - 0 matchup or anything.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Fucking THIS!

This is like the only fighting game series where I still have fun even if I lose because it's so based purely around skill and mind games and shit.

You really have to outplay and outthink your opponent in these games. There aren't any really obnoxious gimmicks(I mean except capos if you're new to fighting them) and every character is completely viable so you don't have fuckers in an SSSS tier stomping Z tier characters with some kind of 11 - 0 matchup or anything.
Tekken is probably the most solid game ever made when it comes to fundamentals. On high level youre basically fighting player not the character. There are some gimmicks and uneven match ups but its a minority.

The only thing i dont like is the newly added rage/armor system thou it creates some hype situations and swing matches sometimes. Some like it, some don't - personal preference.

And again we need instant rematch, like seriously the whole process of rematching takes now sometimes longer then the whole fiight which is abysmal.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The only thing i dont like is the newly added rage/armor system thou it creates some hype situations and swing matches sometimes. Some like it, some don't - personal preference.

And again we need instant rematch, like seriously the whole process of rematching takes now sometimes longer then the whole fiight which is abysmal.
I do love the Rage Drive though. Feel it's an awesome addition and adds a lot to the gameplay. Not commenting on my thoughts about the Rage Arts anymore though lol.

Yea this must be the single biggest letdown in the game alongside the regression in customs. I played my close friend about 3 hours a couple of days ago straight, and I swear 1 out of the 3 hours was in loading and restarting screens. This HAS to change asap.

Fucking THIS!

i 2nd this.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Thanks i play on pad tho, i'll find a tutorial. I thought the dashing all the time was just for tournament play lol. Man this gonna be a hard grind :) I cant believe that namco didn't make tutorials for this stuff in game.

So i went through Heihachi's movelist last nightand it was cool seeing all the moves i used to do in SC2 (even tho most of the inputs aren't the same), he was so fun in that game.

I found that EWGF is as hard as everyone said it was, i wasn't able to do a single one. I had a hard time doing demon uppercut (I think its called that). Why did they make so you have to return to neutral? It seems making shit complicated for no reason. Heihachi is my favorite Tekken character but im thinking of switching because he looks super hard to use.
oh boy this old thing.

If you're new and looking to get into the Mishimas they are all incredibly solid and fun.

EWGF are fine and dandy but they don't start to matter as much until you get deep into the high level shit, if you're starting from off you need to work your way up to it. Just play them straight, you'll do more than fine.

Not being able to instantly do some pro shit with a character doesn't mean you shouldn't use them, no one ever picked them up and was instantly able to throw out perfect god fists completely consistently.

I would love to play bryan but I can't for the life of me do backdash cancels on back sway characters, I can sorta do it on p1 side but it's either sloppy or really slow and on p2 side it's not even close.

Immortal

Blind justice....
I would love to play bryan but I can't for the life of me do backdash cancels on back sway characters, I can sorta do it on p1 side but it's either sloppy or really slow and on p2 side it's not even close.
If you're new to Tekken then give it time, it's not something you pick up / do it consistently from day 1/2/3 practice. I still sometimes drop Dragunovs f,f,f+2 (from point blank) and i spent probably 100+ hours practicing only that.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Is there anyone here that doesn't play lilli, asuka, Chloe or Elise and happens to be on US steam? I literally have not played over half the cast more then once and it's getting annoying. Everyone from the TZ discord and online seems to only play one of those 4.

We need more steam users from here on our trym discord.

@buyacushun can you post the discord link again for new players?

CaptainCM

Certified trash
Is there an app for frame data in this game?
OK, some changes to Bryan:

Old moves: Qcf1+2 no longer launches on counterhit, damage on normal hit is slightly higher, still -12 though. Df2,1 deals relatively less damage than before, 2,3 is now the highest damaging punish at -10 to -13. 2nd hit of ws3,4 is buffed in damage. Punch parry is a b1+3 or b2+4. Df1+2 Sabaki is gone. SS2,3 2nd hit only launches on CH now. Fisherman's slam is accessible from qcf by mashing b2.

New combo ender with db1+2, 15 frames, does more damage instead of a d3,2 ender, knockdown, doesn't wall splat, poor tracking, jails to block the mid-high, -13 on block. Not as easy to hit as f2,1,4 after taunt but still easier than b4 or jet uppercut. Only use after taunt would be at a balcony break or a wall break stage.

New wall carry ender with qcf2,1. High-mid. Not much use in neutral, but the first hit is +2 on hit, -5 to -6 on block, tracks extremely well, probably fully to his left and very well to his right as well, can be sidewalked to his right but this is extremely difficult. 2nd hit is -11 on block. Natural combo.

New SS1 seems to be around 19-20 frames, launches on normal, hit, around -5 on block so it's a potential punch parry setup as well. Vastly superior to the old one. I'd say you could set this up by giving up your + frames, then backdashing a few times, then when you visually confirm your opponent moving forward and BOOM you instantly go for it, should catch button happy rushdown oriented players who can't play neutral properly. Whiff punishes df1's if you commit to it from a step, too slow to whiff punish a single jab.

New FC df4 is -10 on block, i15, launch on CH, practically a homing move, standing tailspin animation on normal hit for an unsteppable or unbackdashable 3+4 or d4 (b1 CH's everything here but can be stepped right, despite we seeing Knee go for it almost every time).
2,3 is actually the lowest damaging punish now, but gives the most frame advantage (FR to console change)
Also, IIRC db1+2 doesn't wallsplat by itself, but taunt~db1+2 does. I prefer b4 anyway :p

Aramonde

Noob
oh boy this old thing.

If you're new and looking to get into the Mishimas they are all incredibly solid and fun.

EWGF are fine and dandy but they don't start to matter as much until you get deep into the high level shit, if you're starting from off you need to work your way up to it. Just play them straight, you'll do more than fine.

Not being able to instantly do some pro shit with a character doesn't mean you shouldn't use them, no one ever picked them up and was instantly able to throw out perfect god fists completely consistently.
I know that EWGF is pro shit i just wanted to see if i could do one. Some of the moves that also have :r STAR :d:qtr were hard to pull off. Dragon uppercut i could barely get half the time and when i did i didn't do anything different. Jumping Mid & Low kick i could do easily. Spinning Demon & SD uppercut i did most of the time. I just find it weird that all these moves have the same inputs except for the last button but they have varying degrees of difficulty.

How do i return to neutral on pad anyway? Its a button press not a stick shouldn't it return to neutral immediately after i press forward? So shouldn't :rSTAR :d:qtr just be a DP motion?

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Is there anyone here that doesn't play lilli, asuka, Chloe or Elise and happens to be on US steam? I literally have not played over half the cast more then once and it's getting annoying. Everyone from the TZ discord and online seems to only play one of those 4.

We need more steam users from here on our trym discord.

@buyacushun can you post the discord link again for new players?
I only play characters that make believable fighters, but I'm over in the first world's XB1.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I know that EWGF is pro shit i just wanted to see if i could do one. Some of the moves that also have :r STAR :d:qtr were hard to pull off. Dragon uppercut i could barely get half the time and when i did i didn't do anything different. Jumping Mid & Low kick i could do easily. Spinning Demon & SD uppercut i did most of the time. I just find it weird that all these moves have the same inputs except for the last button but they have varying degrees of difficulty.

How do i return to neutral on pad anyway? Its a button press not a stick shouldn't it return to neutral immediately after i press forward? So shouldn't :rSTAR :d:qtr just be a DP motion?
Think of it as 2 separate motions. Pick kaz he has a move called mist step that is just 1 forward input. You can do this and he does like a small side step. You can literally wait like 50 frames before you hit df+2 since the forward input is already registered from the mist step and you will get a ewgf if u press df+2 on same frame.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
2,3 is actually the lowest damaging punish now, but gives the most frame advantage (FR to console change)
Also, IIRC db1+2 doesn't wallsplat by itself, but taunt~db1+2 does. I prefer b4 anyway :p
All damage values have been rescaled from TTT2 to T7 except for most of the throws. 1,4 hits for 21 pts, df2,1 hits for 23 pts and 2,3 hits for 24 pts. In comparison, Mishima 1,1,2 hits for 25 pts now.

The frame adv. increase on the 2,3 is nice though, did some testing and db2 (safest option probably if you actually want to use the frames) requires a very clean input to be stepped right from that situation and can't be backdashed or stepped left... but it can be parried or reversed, haven't tested power crushing it.