What's new

Tekken 7 first gameplay

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I was hoping Alissa wasn't going to make the cut because I just don't really like the idea of the whole "fighting sex fembot", but it looked like she was in and I figured "whatever"

And then they doubled down and put Chloe in....
There is nothing wrong with Chloe...she's a pop idol which is a cultural thing in Japan. All everyone saw was cat hat/glove combo and immediately wrote her off.

It's fine though, like Harada said, he just won't put her in the US version since people se to dislike her lol.

cfw

Toys can't save you!
There is nothing wrong with Chloe...she's a pop idol which is a cultural thing in Japan. All everyone saw was cat hat/glove combo and immediately wrote her off.

It's fine though, like Harada said, he just won't put her in the US version since people se to dislike her lol.
I think he was just messing with people when he said this, but if he does do this then I'll be mad as hell.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I do respect how conservative Harada is towards tekken. He and Ed boon are on completely different spectrums of fighting games when I look it. He doesn't do anything too drastic that could be game breaking, and always does plenty of testing to prevent bugs or issues before release. Looking back now, it's an amazing feat at how balanced TTT2 was. If you put the NRS team under the same project, I doubt they could have gotten the game 1/4th as balanced as the Namco team did. This is not a knock on NRS, its just really put the time in to make sure the project doesn't need any patches after the fact.
I don't think it's a fair comparison -- Tekken is more about a common mechanic and many characters having similar tools; NRS games are about wildly differing character archetypes with completely different tools, some of which don't always seem like they belong in the same game.

When there's a tekken game with a lot of the the cast individually teleporting, summoning things from the ground from fullscreen, bringing buddy monsters in as traits, shooting guns and arrows, calling up water to block in the middle of combos, tossing maces from the sky, playing footsies with a 7-foot long trident, throwing parts of the background from a mile away, etc. as characters' primary meta, then a comparison of balance would make more sense.

Last edited:

ando1184

Noob
I don't think it's a fair comparison -- Tekken is more about a common mechanic and many characters having similar tools; NRS games are about wildly differing character archetypes with completely different tools, some of which don't always seem like they belong in the same game.

When there's a tekken game with a lot of the the cast individually teleporting, summoning things from the ground from fullscreen, bringing buddy monsters in as traits, shooting guns and arrows, calling up water to block in the middle of combos, tossing maces from the sky, playing footsies with a 7-foot long trident, throwing parts of the background from a mile away, etc. as characters' primary meta, then a comparison of balance would make more sense.
Honestly if the tekken development team was behind any of the NRS fighters I can see them being more balanced overall. It doesn't matter if you throw in all those 2d elements, it still will come out a more "complete and balanced" game bc of who's behind it. I like injustice and MK but they were never balanced and that's on NRS. You will see proof soon when they finally release tekken vs SF, I'm sure.

She's a pop idol? I guess I just don't understand the reference.

I feel like "it's japanese culture" has become an easy way to deflect criticism regarding bad design choices.

If a character's design can't be defended in any other way than "It's just a culture thing" than I still feel like that's bad design.

I wouldn't defend NRS for their crappy characters (Nitara lol) under the justification of "american culture"

Horrible design has no borders.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
She's a pop idol? I guess I just don't understand the reference.

I feel like "it's japanese culture" has become an easy way to deflect criticism regarding bad design choices.

If a character's design can't be defended in any other way than "It's just a culture thing" than I still feel like that's bad design.

I wouldn't defend NRS for their crappy characters (Nitara lol) under the justification of "american culture"

Horrible design has no borders.
Yea Pop Idols are all the rage in Japan, but sometimes design choices do come down to "it's a cultural thing".

It's the same way all male protagonist in an action game look the same. It's a western influence on what a hero "should look like".

Everyone has things they don't like so I understand your point. Chloe looks fine to me and so did Nitara(she is a succubus after all)

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
It must be really annoying to develop games in this era of social media when everyone just complains. I can understand a lot of the older devs like Harada not being very happy.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Kind of upset over all of the nerfs Leo seems to have gotten according to Kuro Kuro, especially to her lows.

I know she was good in TTT2, but not broken. Come on, Harada, stop hurting my main.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Lars lost his df2, b1+2 also no longer knocks down. He is probably mid tier now. Losing df2 is a gigantic nerf for him.

Bryan's fF4, 3+4 and qcb3 all launch on CH now, pretty ridiculous. Devil Jin's hellsweep grants a tailspin launch now if you don't do the 2nd hit. Jin has also received big buffs.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I'm buying this game without a doubt, but it only has 1 out of my 3 characters.

Heihachi.

I seriously want Marduk and Bob back in some capacity.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I wanna see some Heihachi gameplay and see how he plays now, the overall okizeme nerf and buffs on lows indirectly make him weaker since sidewalking left, chopping his legs and laming him out outside range 1 was already a go-to strategy to beat him. If they just gave Heihachi and Devil Jin access to a delayable hop kick like Kazuya then I would be pleased... Not that DVJ needs any more low crushing moves or that Hei needs buffs... But Hei's legs are free lol.