What's new

Tekken 7 first gameplay

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The game has no bounds sooooooooo yeah it's already very divergent from T6/TTT2 with movement similar to revolution and no pickups off of okizeme hits, the game looks willdly different even ignoring things like Supers & the armor moves.
Pretty much. Going beyond the appearance, the game looks wildly different.

I'm liking the way things look so far. Combo damage seems super low...probably just because we've been so used to seeing TTT2's massive damage.

haketh

Noob
Watch more footage, combo damage is pretty good on most starters, look at that Kazuya vs Katarina match, pretty standard Tekken damage.

One interesting thing that may be going on with the game is that moves that would bound don't jungle anymore with few exceptions *Law 3, 4 seems to be one* but moves that bound on grounded hits still bound. Thuse carry & damage on juggles is down a bit but you're still able to convert from whiff punishes and stuff like that, think moves like Bryan F+4, 1

haketh

Noob
Tekken needs to get rid of its legacy curve. T4 did that and it sold very well. TTT 1 and T4 drastically outsold T5, T5:DR, T6, and TTT2. I don't mean make the game like T4 but a drastic change like that is what is needed.
They already have with the lessening of punishment on waking up, reducing reliance on KBD, & making movement easier. T5-TTT2 sold extremely well also so it's not like Namco is hurting.

trufenix

bye felicia
I dunno why they couldn't have just said we kept everything except bound. This whole industry shift to being cryptic over Twitter is infuriating.

Tekken needs to get rid of its legacy curve. T4 did that and it sold very well. TTT 1 and T4 drastically outsold T5, T5:DR, T6, and TTT2. I don't mean make the game like T4 but a drastic change like that is what is needed.
As much as I love TTT2 and believe that it's a fantastically crafted game, I have to begrudgingly agree that a drastic change is necessary if Tekken is to regain popularity.

Other successful fighting games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat etc. are relatively simple to get into, even if they're very hard to learn at a high level. In Street Fighter it's easy to do basic combos, basic footsies, basic pressure etc. on a fundamental level. Whereas in Tekken, learning any of the fundamentals takes a good deal of effort, and potentially a lot of outside research.

Tekken Revolution seems to be an attempt to simplify things a bit, and all things considered it's probably a step in the right direction. And as we've seen here, some of that will be translated into Tekken 7.

The only other alternative would be for the series to become one of those 'more of the same' franchises like CoD... and quickly die out when current fans get bored of paying for the same product, whilst not bringing in any new ones.

So yeah, I'm pretty excited about them changing up the Tekken engine a bit more. :)

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Well being a Tekken player and the series being my main game, seeing this right now I'm like:

I can tell the KI style hit particles will take a second for me to get used to. I saw a small list of some character changes and I'm not mad. I main Jin and have since 5 and lili has been my secondary since she came out but I don't see Jin yet. So as it stands until he's announced she's my "main" placeholder. So far I'm pleased. Game is only half done so I'll wait and see.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Looks like Revolution with super moves. =/

Not going to pass judgement yet, but man....I'm not very excited about it.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I cant watch the vids yet, but I agree that Tekken needs to almost start fresh. I loved it once now it is meh.

They already have with the lessening of punishment on waking up, reducing reliance on KBD, & making movement easier. T5-TTT2 sold extremely well also so it's not like Namco is hurting.
KBD isn't part of the legacy curve. It's something that makes my tendonitis hurt, but not something that's part of the legacy curve.

The legacy curve is when you bring over a majority of characters from old games, with 100+ moveslists, and to put it simply:

The guy who knows there's a mid-hitting variation to the last high-hit of a certain string is aware it can't safely be ducked on the last high hit, while you aren't- and this can win/lose a game. Now apply that to about 50 characters, each with about 100 different moves, and now you have the process of learning Tekken in a nutshell.

That would be good if there's only around 30. I think 35 is my limit, but I'd prefer just 30. I can totally deal with learning 29 matchups.

It's kinda weird I'm actually expressing a DESIRE for a fighting game to have a minimal amount of characters, but with Tekken that's kinda the point it's gotten to...

haketh

Noob
They've already said T7 is going to have a smaller cast than usual with condensed movelist, come on people we knew this before the first trailer even dropped.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
How? How is T7 not fresh? How is Tekken stale? How would you make it not stale? Can you even notice the changes in engine, movement, and okizeme in these vids?
I suggest you read my post more carefully. I am unable to watch the vids currently. My post is based on my experience with Tekken 6. The learning curve for a newcomer can be daunting. Sure you can learn a few dial combos and defeat scrubs, but high level Tekken requires a lot of time to the point one may not be good at the current one, but the next. That tends to bore newcomers and cause them to quit. I hope youre right and the vids show a breath of fresh air.