What's new

Tekken 4 Jin

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Saltshaker: Once upon a time, this little kid got himself a hood, and he has become a very scary scary man

I was 18, had my first luxury console (PS2) at the time, and had tekken for Christmas, i remember of starting to dedicate my time to learn Jin since this version, but i was innocent although i definitely used all the BS he had, i wasn't aware that the entire world were having a nightmare.

But i never heard those stories before, and never saw an T4 tournament before.

For those who don't know, Jin had a few things in his arsenal that made him kind of a broken

The laser annihilator, Just Frame Laser Scrapper, and the Lingering soul (D+1+2 at the end of some attacks) that would active the CH mode and frame trap you for counter hits

The Omen Stance was also Broken considering the damage he would get from a Omen Wind god Fist and so on.

Bottom line, we all know Jin was broken, but i just wanted to know, how was like on that time, because internet wasn't that much of a factor as is now, i remember of browsing gamefaqs most of the time.

Jedah

Fallen God
Jin would win practically all Majors and tournaments with Steve and Paul.

In restropect Jin should have been banned from tournament play...... he was that broken.

CaptainCM

Certified trash
Jin was undeniably the best character in that game, by a mile. Didn't stop Tom Hilfiger from beating everyone, including koreans, with Nina.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
The internet was definitely used back then. Forums were actually the main source of info back then since Youtube and streaming weren't invented yet. There were also less casual players and less fanboys since online matchmaking wasn't a thing yet either. Top players posted strats and talked about the game publicly much more often back then since it was less saturated.

Forums used to be pretty godlike for fighting games. It was good times.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Wow. Epic memories, or should I say nightmares. I remember this perfectly. It was right before I hit my peak as a high level player in Tekken. I was 19 years old, and just stepping up. I had a notebook from things I printed off of the Internet for my characters lol. Going to the arcade almost every day and placing quarters in a row on the top of the arcade machine for next game haha!!! Godlike times. The new generation will never get that experience of our arcade dungeons.

Jin, Steve, and Nina were by far the 3 most dominant characters, but Jin was a God amongst men. Jin had

-JFLS. One of the best tracking moves, just frame unblockable, comboable, 75% juggle'd after damage, guaranteed on CH, fast start up. One of the most godlike strings in fighting game history.

-Parry. Lol wow. 2frame start up, parried everything in the game except lows, 20 frame punish window after parry. One of the best parries every.

-Great damage fast 2,4 poke that KD for a free D4 into godlike oki.

-The 2,1 string. I just had a flashback, ugh. They could do 2,1,3 which you had to respect so you wouldn't be CH by the 3. The problem was that 2,1 was a suction type move that pulled him in close to you, was incredibly fast, and like +3 on block Lolol! He could bulldog you at will with this and fish for CH's or pop ups. Ridiculous string.

-Wall of death. Death of wall.

Those were the main things that just made him too much and straight broken. He was always at an advantage at every phase of the match, at any point, it was always in his favor and you had to overcome the odds.

Slips is right about forums back then. I agree it was more for the competitive players and very few casuals frequented. There was a lot less bs posting, less "who is Top 10" and much more tech sharing, character strats, etc going on. Less fighting among members. Very different forum times back then. The only thing though is that the downplaying and salt was still the same then as it is now. I still remember some people trying to say Jin was "fair" and to "learn how to fight him", even though it was obvious to anyone with half a brain how broken he was. I also remember beating Top players with characters like Wang in T5 in tournament when I first reached my peak years, and then them running to the forums to claim how he was "broken" (Wang broken? Really lol) and any Noob can place with him instead of admitting they were outplayed by a low/mid character. So things like that have not changed at all lol.