What's new

[Technical] How to improve your and other players' experience with MK11

Surielx

Noob
1. Connect to your router with cable.

It is obvious that everyone playing games online should connect their console to router via LAN cable. With that don't lose your connection speed and you make your connection stable. That's basic and requires no real knowledge but still majority of players use wifi.

2. Use DNS.

If you want to know what DNS is, I encourage you to read Wikipedia. The fact is, using DNS server on your console will improve your upload and download speed, thus making connection better. You can test before/after speeds yourself.

PS4:
Settings -> Network -> Set Up Internet Connection -> pick your method (LAN hopefully) -> Custom
Choose Automatic or Do Not Specify in all settings except DNS Settings – pick Manual. List of DNS servers are below.

Xbox:
Settings > Network > Advanced settings > DNS settings > Manual

List of DNS servers: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.geekdashboard.com/fast-dns-servers-for-ps4-gaming/amp/
(Choose Google if you don’t have time to check them all but I encourage you to test various addresses)

3. Check your Internet type (supplier)

Connecting to your router with a cable is one thing, but how does your router connect to the internet in the first place? If you don’t know you can always call your service provider - there are usually 4 types:
  • Fiber. Fastest and stable. If you have this one, thank you.
  • LAN. Fast and stable. If you have this one, thank you as well.
  • Radio signal. Here you will encounter stability/speed problems, the radio signal is not stable and is vulnerable to weather conditions. If that’s what you have, consider changing to one of the two above – you can usually change your contract while it lasts and depending on your local technical situation it might be a go-to solution.
  • Mobile signal (3G, 4G, 5G, LTE...). The same situation as with radio signal. It is unstable and for now even slower than radio (it may change with 5G but will remain unstable). Consider changing to wired connection.
4. Controller – wired or not?

This one is not so obvious. When your controller is unplugged it uses Bluetooth to connect with console. Bluetooth devices are constantly searching for other nearby devices and the more are there, the more it affects your pad-to-console communication. Also if there are obstacles between console and controller it will negatively affect your experience. Simply, Bluetooth is less stable. However, Dualshock 4 polling rate is capped at 240Hz over USB and 1000Hz with Bluetooth. I couldn’t find such comparison for Xbox but might be even slower. Bottom line is: check it yourself and test what works best in your playroom. If not wired, consider switching off remaining Bluetooth devices.

5. Everyone at home uses the same internet network?

Well, it is common. Mother on Netflix, father playing online poker and sister 24/7 on YouTube? It will affect the capacity of your router. Of course you will not order second internet service just for your Mortal Kombat – what do you do? You might consider buying a second router, access settings on both routers and lock the bandwidth (download and upload speeds). This way you can split your 300Mbps into 150Mbps for each device. There are also so-called „dual routers” that will allow you to create separate internet connections with custom bandwidth but it's unlikely your internet supplier provided you with this one.

I hope I covered all tips, if I missed something or you know some additional tips, post it here and I will update this post.

Last edited:
I'm an independent Fiber Installation Contractor -- I certify and approve this message.

Most modern routers also offer the ability to use QoS as well to allocate and prioritize bandwidth to a device such as a PC or gaming console.

Surielx

Noob
put in a wifi filter so I can completely avoid these degens
Exactly why I wrote this post. People don't understand that this would just scratch the surface. Why do you need a WiFi filter? I can plug my PS4 with LAN cable to my router but have a radio / mobile internet and you will still hate my connection. What then?

People don't understand that this would just scratch the surface
People don't understand. That's pretty much it.

I was matched up with a guy who also had an ethernet connection the other day. He then started ranting about how "my" connection was so bad (213ms) on a wired connection bla bla bla. But it was a good solid connection. Was never going to be offline equivalent, but was a good connection for a casual match regardless.

Ethernet doesn't magically make a connection <100ms. Clearly we were from other sides of the planet and that was the reason. I was going to try and explain some basic physics to him but figured that would go over his head.

One thing i don't get is that people are complaining about ~200ms connections being unplayable. SF5 with it's new netcode patch/mod thing going on, people are now surprised at the fact they can play players from other parts of the world with a seemingly good connection. I can't imagine it's any better than what NRS has created with their netcode going back to the MKX rollback update.

They seem to be thankful for the fact that it's better than it was. Yet MK has arguably some of the best netcode in the business and people complain because it must be <50ms or it's not worth playing.

Netcode can't fix physics or bad routing, or users with flaky/saturated connections. But in 90% of the time it can create a close enough is good enough scenario to play the game online.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
It really does amaze me how sometimes two way Ham radios have better connections around the world than internet using satellites and wind up being more reliable in crisis situations. Was watching a video about that on YT, pretty fascinating stuff but I digress. Nice thread OP.

Last edited:
Exactly why I wrote this post. People don't understand that this would just scratch the surface. Why do you need a WiFi filter? I can plug my PS4 with LAN cable to my router but have a radio / mobile internet and you will still hate my connection. What then?
what do you mean, "radio/mobile internet?" like in terms of bandwidth? well a majority of the people on lan most likely have a consistent connection to play on so i don't have to worry about fluctuating wifi connections

what do you mean, "radio/mobile internet?" like in terms of bandwidth? well a majority of the people on lan most likely have a consistent connection to play on so i don't have to worry about fluctuating wifi connections
I think he means how your data travels after it leaves you home. Does it travel via a fiber line, regular landline, does it get beamed up to a satellite, or transmitted by a cell tower? I had a friend who lived outside the city limits and could only get satellite internet so even if he connects to his router with an ethernet cable and we played, the connection would maybe not be that good because his data is getting bounced around.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
It really does amaze me how sometimes two way radios have better connections than internet using satellites and wind up being more reliable in crisis situations. Was watching a video about that on YT, pretty fascinating stuff but I digress. Nice thread OP.
internet is going to get better on the next generation. 5G is going to be super good for gaming and autonomy stuff.
PS5 is coming with 5G tech, and USA on it's own is expanding their 5G network, when some countries start to take on the same tech, the whole world be very connected and these lag issues will all end.

give it 3 more years or so. My country decided to invest on tech so they usually catch up within a year or 2, so lets see

Surielx

Noob
PS5 is coming with 5G tech
So you say PS5 will have a 5G modem on its own? I never heard of it, is it confirmed?
Generally speaking, 5G infrastructure is just fiber network with surrounding devices, like antennas. You will be connected to those antennas so in essence it will be faster than 4G/LTE but less stable than your standard, wired fiber installation. So don't wait for 5G, just consider your options when it comes to sign new contract with your internet vendor.

MKF30

internet is going to get better on the next generation. 5G is going to be super good for gaming and autonomy stuff.
PS5 is coming with 5G tech, and USA on it's own is expanding their 5G network, when some countries start to take on the same tech, the whole world be very connected and these lag issues will all end.

give it 3 more years or so. My country decided to invest on tech so they usually catch up within a year or 2, so lets see

Guess we'll find out. I mean we're always evolving and improving no doubt, but so far seems the online gaming gig has yet to be perfected. I think as long as someone has a wonky connection or as some people have experienced those messing with their own connection that'll always cause some form of lag unfortunately but hope you're right man. I'm curious to see how well 5G does.

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
It really does amaze me how sometimes two way Ham radios have better connections around the world than internet using satellites and wind up being more reliable in crisis situations. Was watching a video about that on YT, pretty fascinating stuff but I digress. Nice thread OP.
Satellite internet should never be used for gaming, lol. That's why we have transatlantic/transpacific cables...

666 I HazeOner

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
The new ps4 controllers can connect cable only, but you have to set that option in the controller settings menu of the ps4.

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
1: unite the people to let nr know that we want a damn simple filter which every other fucking fighting game has instead to complain about shitty towers and that they are to hard. the outcry was so big and they reacted in time but the online issues....one two single posts, no one gives a shit and call them out for it.

i understand the playerbase is filled with a lot of casuals but come on its now the 4th game and you cant unite the pro players to call them out for it? thats just so fucking stupid and i dont get why people let that slide...thats on nr to be fixed. no one else.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So you say PS5 will have a 5G modem on its own? I never heard of it, is it confirmed?
Generally speaking, 5G infrastructure is just fiber network with surrounding devices, like antennas. You will be connected to those antennas so in essence it will be faster than 4G/LTE but less stable than your standard, wired fiber installation. So don't wait for 5G, just consider your options when it comes to sign new contract with your internet vendor.
my area doesn't have cable support yet, we dunno when it will have, but i will look up has my current contract will be descontinued in the end of next month and there is nothing i can do about it

MKF30

Satellite internet should never be used for gaming, lol. That's why we have transatlantic/transpacific cables...
lol some would also say satellite internet shouldn't be used for alot more than just gaming lol But we'll see if 5G lives up to the hype.

nodq

wicked
2. Use DNS.

If you want to know what DNS is, I encourage you to read Wikipedia. The fact is, using DNS server on your console will improve your upload and download speed, thus making connection better. You can test before/after speeds yourself.
I appreciate your effort here. But common dude.

You should've researched what DNS is yourself, before making this statement. It is so wrong it hurts. I'm not gonna go into details here but resolving a domain name does NOT make your raw upload or download speed faster or slower, that is an complete wrong statement. The only thing that might get faster is the time it needs to resolve a domain name, which is in the "ms" range. (not counting in cache if its used). But that has nothing to do with download or upload speed at all.
Your console would usually use the routers default DNS address if you do not set it manually in your console settings. So what does "Use DNS" even mean for you? There is no magic to it, in fact you might not even change your DNS because you possibly have the same DNS set in your router anyway.
And also, the raw download and upload speed has nothing to do with the quality of an connection. This is also a wrong statement.

DNS is handled in the OSI reference model on the Application layer (layer 7) and connections between peers (opponents for example) is on another layer. (TCP/IP etc.)

(analogy: when I set a different DNS server from my default one ont he router, on my PC LAN controller. Does my download/upload speed improve?
Heck no it does not... you MAYBE improve the time it needs to resolve a domain name. For example, cloudflare does this faster than many other DNS server usually. But that does not have any effect on a peer2peer connection you have with someone or your raw download and upload speeds. EVEN IF! Raw download/upload speed has nothing to do with the quality of your connection. I had perfectly fine connections with ISDN 20+ years ago. Compare that speed to todays connections you can get.

Please stop spreading nonsense. We are already plagued enough with people that do not understand those basics and throw everything together in a bucket and spread false informations. That is one reason why we even have so many clueless WiFi gangsters out there.

Last edited: