What's new

[Tech] Superman Trait xx Bounce-Cancel.

Drecker

GET CITY.
Hey all,

Finally got to spend some time labbing Injustice 2; hope to dig deeper at the end of the month when I'm no longer working 80+ hour weeks.

Found some interesting stuff when trying to dig around for high damage midscreen options off F23 starters - Superman is able to go directly from Trait into bounce cancels (db/df+MB). This is due to Superman's almost unique property to cancel his trait directly into special moves (I say almost because Dr. Fate is also able to do this). He was able to do this in Injustice 1, but could not combo with it from most (any?) strings and it was mostly used as a trait cancel pressure tool if you thought your opponent was going to disrespect your frame advantage.

This opens up not only the same pressure you were able to output in Injustice 1, but also some unique combo opportunities, especially for high midscreen damage if you're willing to invest two bars.

Tested on Batman (1250HP, Competitive Mode ON)

F23 xx T xx BBC (back bounce cancel), j3, 3 xx Rising Grab + Laser nets you 549 damage for two bars.

(Note that F23 xx T, f2 xx BBC, j3, 3 xx Grab+Laser = 563 but doesn't work on everyone).

This works on every character I've tried it on where F23 xx T, f2 xx BBC starter doesn't connect, such as Grodd. Also, by omitting the F2 and going straight into your bounce-cancel off f23 xx Trait, you can connect things like j3, j3 xx Divebomb for big damage and far corner carry while also having good positioning if you want to sacrifice damage.

I'll dive deeper on this, but I'm 100% certain you can get huge damage off of it, at least on some characters. The double j3 might be the key here?

Edit: As @Tweedy pointed out, this doesn't work on every character. See posts #3 & 4 in this thread (his and my reply) - I will be compiling a list of who this whiffs on when I have time after work tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
Are you sure F23 trait bounce cancel works on females? I'm trying it on Black Canary and I can't get it.

You lose barely any damage by doing the typical bnb with a mb b3 after mb freeze and it's really easy on the entire cast.

I always practice first on the smallest hurtboxes(Canary, Catwoman), so that I know what i'm doing works on the entire cast.

Drecker

GET CITY.
Are you sure F23 trait bounce cancel works on females? I'm trying it on Black Canary and I can't get it.

You lose barely any damage by doing the typical bnb with a mb b3 after mb freeze and it's really easy on the entire cast.

I always practice first on the smallest hurtboxes(Canary, Catwoman), so that I know what i'm doing works on the entire cast.
My mistake, started writing up a list of who this works on and who it doesn't, but realized it's 3AM and I have work at 9.

It will whiff on the smaller hitboxes (Canary / Catwoman / Supergirl etc), but these are characters on whom you're able to connect f23 xx Trait, f2 xx bounce cancel on. The direct trait bounce cancel is more meant to hit characters that you can't connect f2 xx bounce on, such as Grodd, and you're able to get silly things like double j3 afterwards.

SwagMountains

Yes we Kahn
I was messing around with bounce cancel combos and I was having trouble finding the right starter to get good damage. New to me that you can bounce cancel trait. Good find man.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Still working on his high damage combos, but had to take a break due to work. (I work 2 jobs).

I got his midscreen meterless up to 651 damage so far. And I have a few combos that do well over 1000 points in damage. One that does nearly 100% too.

This version of Superman isn't as good as Injustice 1 when it comes to combos. They honestly didn't have to nerf him this much.

Also i am disappointed the db1 MB doesn't hit OTG anymore. Neither do any of the Unblockable interactables either. It's much harder to find resets now.

kdawg

Noob
Still working on his high damage combos, but had to take a break due to work. (I work 2 jobs).

I got his midscreen meterless up to 651 damage so far. And I have a few combos that do well over 1000 points in damage. One that does nearly 100% too.

This version of Superman isn't as good as Injustice 1 when it comes to combos. They honestly didn't have to nerf him this much.

Also i am disappointed the db1 MB doesn't hit OTG anymore. Neither do any of the Unblockable interactables either. It's much harder to find resets now.
The sad part is guys want him nerfed smh