What's new

Team Sp00ky's Arturo Sanchez busted for scamming from Matcherino and the FGC -

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Unfortunately it kind of exposes some of the problems with these things like Matcherino, where there are limited safeguards in place.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
yeah... time to fade away and move into another hobby.... thing is guys like this.. it is sorta their career right?
I don’t think so. You can always work to get back to being apart of the community. There’s several examples of people being involved in huge drama and bad stuff. As long as it isn’t something like, SA, grooming, etc, you can always eventually make your way back. Just gotta law low for awhile, then slowly let your good actions get you back into good graces. Of course, you won’t ALWAYS be able to do this and obviously not everyone will be accepting of you no matter how many good things you do or how much time has passed.

But this was one of the reasons I asked if everyone had been paid back/up in full. Because until we have more info on the matter… yeah. ¯\(ツ)

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I don’t think so. You can always work to get back to being apart of the community. There’s several examples of people being involved in huge drama and bad stuff. As long as it isn’t something like, SA, grooming, etc, you can always eventually make your way back. Just gotta law low for awhile, then slowly let your good actions get you back into good graces. Of course, you won’t ALWAYS be able to do this and obviously not everyone will be accepting of you no matter how many good things you do or how much time has passed.

But this was one of the reasons I asked if everyone had been paid back/up in full. Because until we have more info on the matter… yeah. ¯\(ツ)
If he's open and honest about what happened, and makes things right, he could totally work his way back in. As it stands nothing stopping him from streaming, so at the least he can still get exposure and a platform to tell his side of the story and try to stay relevant. However I think it would be a long while before anyone lets him handle cash, payouts, or anything to do with money for any kind of tournament or weekly.

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
So it seems that some TOs may dip their hands into the players' pot for themselves...
Team Stickbug are "linked " to have taken money out of players' pot for themselves.

Unfortunately it kind of exposes some of the problems with these things like Matcherino, where there are limited safeguards in place.
As much as I enjoy watching tournaments, both offline and online ones, there's a reason I never donate to things like pots, or support kick starter projects, or any other random stuff like that.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
you're cheap and don't want to contribute to the community?

Jynks

give me a break. Yeah Aquaman is such a cunt. Lets not support him, so is Rip. Macharino saved the indie event scene and is responsible for it even existing nowadays. Now I get that a lot of kids are redeemable cynics but this is just ridiculous. Just keep taking and taking from everyone and contribute nothing. Luckly most people are not like that or there would BE no competitive scene. .

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
give me a break. Yeah Aquaman is such a cunt. Lets not support him, so is Rip. Macharino saved the indie event scene and is responsible for it even existing nowadays. Now I get that a lot of kids are redeemable cynics but this is just ridiculous. Just keep taking and taking from everyone and contribute nothing. Luckly most people are not like that or there would BE no competitive scene. .
No one is under any obligation whatsoever to donate anything to anyone. All @Juxtapose was saying is that he doesn’t trust donating to these pots or funds precisely because of things like this situation with Art, and you not knowing for 100% certainty that your money is going to exactly what you’re donating it for.

Reminds me of a situation that has happened to many people, but I experienced a few years ago. There was a guy at a gas station near the front of the building. Approached me asking if I had any money to spare because he was hungry and thirsty and hadn’t had anything to eat or drink for days. I said, “no problem, what would you like?”. He said “anything works, $1, $5, whatever I can spare”. I said “no, I mean what would you like to eat & drink from inside? I’ll get it for you”. He hesitated and looked confused, then said “well I also need money because I need gas to get home. I’ve been stranded here with no money”. I said “I don’t have cash, but I can get you something to eat and a drink, or I can get you like $10 or so worth of gas”. He says “oh, $10 would be great!”. I said “okay, which pump should I tell them?”. And again he looked at me confused. Then he says “can you not just give me the $10?”, I said, “no, I told you I do NOT have cash, and why does that matter anyway?”. He just got angry and walked away while saying “I can’t believe people won’t help others in need, I need MONEY!”. I just stood there dumbfounded… then just went about my day. If he would’ve been 100% honest from the start, maybe I could’ve tried to help him out, but who knows what he really wanted money for, because it wasn’t even for gas as he claimed let alone for food & water.

You’re not a bad person for not trusting someone or an organization or whatever that is asking for donations. Everyone thought Art was super trustworthy, including myself (and until ACTUALLY proven otherwise, still do). I have known him for over a decade now. But unless you can physically see exactly where your money goes, there will always be an element of trust you’re putting into wherever you’re donating your money. So I don’t blame anyone at all for not wanting to rely on that unknown factor and having to trust random people or organizations.
¯\(ツ)

No one is under any obligation whatsoever to donate anything to anyone. All @Juxtapose was saying is that he doesn’t trust donating to these pots or funds precisely because of things like this situation with Art, and you not knowing for 100% certainty that your money is going to exactly what you’re donating it for.

Reminds me of a situation that has happened to many people, but I experienced a few years ago. There was a guy at a gas station near the front of the building. Approached me asking if I had any money to spare because he was hungry and thirsty and hadn’t had anything to eat or drink for days. I said, “no problem, what would you like?”. He said “anything works, $1, $5, whatever I can spare”. I said “no, I mean what would you like to eat & drink from inside? I’ll get it for you”. He hesitated and looked confused, then said “well I also need money because I need gas to get home. I’ve been stranded here with no money”. I said “I don’t have cash, but I can get you something to eat and a drink, or I can get you like $10 or so worth of gas”. He says “oh, $10 would be great!”. I said “okay, which pump should I tell them?”. And again he looked at me confused. Then he says “can you not just give me the $10?”, I said, “no, I told you I do NOT have cash, and why does that matter anyway?”. He just got angry and walked away while saying “I can’t believe people won’t help others in need, I need MONEY!”. I just stood there dumbfounded… then just went about my day. If he would’ve been 100% honest from the start, maybe I could’ve tried to help him out, but who knows what he really wanted money for, because it wasn’t even for gas as he claimed let alone for food & water.

You’re not a bad person for not trusting someone or an organization or whatever that is asking for donations. Everyone thought Art was super trustworthy, including myself (and until ACTUALLY proven otherwise, still do). I have known him for over a decade now. But unless you can physically see exactly where your money goes, there will always be an element of trust you’re putting into wherever you’re donating your money. So I don’t blame anyone at all for not wanting to rely on that unknown factor and having to trust random people or organizations.
¯\(ツ)
Thank you @Juggs , you get it fully.

Interestingly, the situation you described above has happened to me as well, almost word for word.

I annually donate to specific charities, and a hospital that's regularly helped my family, and I know the money is being put to good use. One of the charities I donate to I volunteer for so I actually get to see their annual report/breakdown of where all the donations and fundraising funds go, which is very re-assuring.

For gaming and scenes I like/support, I'll happily buy a premium something-or-other where all the funds go to a tournament pot (i.e. like the Ermac skin from Mortal Kombat X), since I know that money is going where it's supposed to.

@Jynks Of all the things you like to pretend you know, don't pretend that you know me.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
What happened with Aquaman and Rip? I used to watch those tournaments occasionally and enjoy them. Did they steal money too?

Jynks

What happened with Aquaman and Rip? I used to watch those tournaments occasionally and enjoy them. Did they steal money too?
No, absolutely not man. They are, and never have been in trouble for anything, which was kinda my point. They do though, and so does the entire indie tourney revival of the scene that has happened recently is completely reliant on donations and most of that via macharino. Those guys are just examples of people and communities that would not even exist in the scene without people from the scene supporting them.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
There’s been a bunch of different new evidence that has been discussed recently that is actually helping to clear Art’s name. Still nothing is 100% either way, and idk if it ever will be “100%”. But this is exactly why I said what I said back on post #13 <— (for me, when I click on that, it goes to the correct post, then jumps to post #11 for some reason, strange, hopefully it’s just on my end. If not, just scroll down 2 posts to post #13 lol)

Anyway, I do hope Art comes out solid on this because he’s done WAY too much for the FGC for this to be his “legacy” or what he’s known for.