What's new

Teach Me How To Johnny

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I know this would work better if I'd post a video of my last match so y'all can judge my ass, but I played against a noob on my smurf acc and they got taken to Cage Town real quick so not sure how helpful it would be.

Here are my questions:

1. On block, Caged Rage or nah? (especially for female characters)
  2. F44 on hit, what can you meaty after knockdown? I was using B34 but not sure if it beats wakeups.
  3. After 124 on block follow up with F3,44 or B34?
  4. If you see them pick Cassie, WDYD?
  5. Best sunglasses and how to get them, I need to know.
  6. How are his pokes? Should I poke, or just shimmy/whiff punish?
  7. After nut punch restand, what's his mix options?
Gonna tag some Johnny mains @lionheart21 @FoughtDragon01 @Mikemetroid @Johnny Based Cage @Tundra81

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I don't know all the answers but I want to give you some good ones before the Johnny downplaying party comes in here in full force, the numbers correspond to your questions:

1: Never do it. Anyone who knows the MU will easily react to that by neutral ducking and you'll eat a nice D2 KB for your troubles
3: Mix it, microdash d3 to beat their poke attempt, f3 if you expect them to respect it, wait a bit (maybe slight walk back) then whiff punish with b3 if you expect them to press a poke or a button.
6: D3 is one of the best in the game
7: Pokes, throws, s1

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I don't know all the answers but I want to give you some good ones before the Johnny downplaying party comes in here in full force, the numbers correspond to your questions:

1: Never do it. Anyone who knows the MU will easily react to that by neutral ducking and you'll eat a nice D2 KB for your troubles
3: Mix it, microdash d3 to beat their poke attempt, f3 if you expect them to respect it, wait a bit (maybe slight walk back) then whiff punish with b3 if you expect them to press a poke or a button.
6: D3 is one of the best in the game
7: Pokes, throws, s1
Awesome thanks! <3

I thought Caged Rage was my solution for female MUs, RIP. Alright, I know a lot of Cage mains use ex foreballs on block, I think I'll just hold off an special and backup or D3.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
  1. A good opponent will react and punish, a bad one would just mash and beat you anyways. Females will have it even easier since there is no forceball mixup. Nay, you should be using showstopper anyways.
  2. Do not use b3 as a meaty, b34 doesn't catch jumps very well and is horrible on whiff.
  3. After 124 you could do anything depending on what you think your opponent would do. If they jump, f3 or s1/2 can catch them fairly consistently.
  4. Pick someone else lol.
  5. all are great, d1 d3 jail into s1 and d4 jails into f3.
  6. Use showstopper.
If you're insistent on using cage rage then a d4 on hit jails into it.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
  1. A good opponent will react and punish, a bad one would just mash and beat you anyways. Females will have it even easier since there is no forceball mixup. Nay, you should be using showstopper anyways.
  2. Do not use b3 as a meaty, b34 doesn't catch jumps very well and is horrible on whiff.
  3. After 124 you could do anything depending on what you think your opponent would do. If they jump, f3 or s1/2 can catch them fairly consistently.
  4. Pick someone else lol.
  5. all are great, d1 d3 jail into s1 and d4 jails into f3.
  6. Use showstopper.
If you're insistent on using cage rage then a d4 on hit jails into it.
But I play the Cages for the nutpunches D:

Alright, I'll lab Showstopper, thanks for the tips :D

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Ah whichever the one that keeps low profiling the shit out of me lol.

I also might have mistaken f3 vs f4 as the option after 124 on block.
There's a huge difference between both, one is a high with quick recovery and good stagger potential, the other is a mid with poor staggers and terrible recovery.
f3 is what leads into the triple oof kicks.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Hello.

Now I know at this moment you think OMFG it's this tard again coming here to tell me cage sucks and i'll get 10-0ed on all my matches.
Fortunately we have passed that point in time so I'll just tell you my objective experience of what worked and what not.

Let's go Shock Jock first as I'm guessing this is your variation of choice since you mentioned Caged Rage.

1. Caged Rage works a lot online, and on people who don't have Cage matchup experience. In all cases, if you cancel into it on block at a moment where someone is expecting you to cancel into something on block, you will get blown up. I have been full combo punished by Noob out of my level 3 caged rage, so that gap never goes away when you upgrade it.

However, you will get it most of the time (that is, if you're not playing the evo top 8 cyborgs that can react to it free) when canceling from points that nobody expects you to.

b3 Caged rage has the most success, as b34 is burned into the brain of everyone playing against Cage so they will not let go of block to punish/ uppercut you.

Once you leveled it up past 1, it becomes easier as it trades with most pokes and the opponent must really have Cage experience to properly punish you in the gap.

On matchups where forceballs do not whiff, I had success using it in the neutral from far away as people tend to neutral crouch force balls and instantly block if they see you coming, expecting an advanced b3 or f4. SYKE, it was a raw Caged Rage and you blocked it AHHAHAHAH

On most matches it will help you many times close out rounds or make people poke out and get hit by b34 or other strings.

However if you have a sparring partner like I do, and he will learn it over time and expect it, you will 100% get blown up for it each time making the move completely useless (which counts as strike 1 as why not to use this variation, which I'll cover later).

2. After an f44 knockdown we can meaty with our mids :)))) Sorry, couldn't resist. I've found a shitload of people just neutral jump wakeuping against cage, which will make b34 whiff if you don't do it perfectly, And it's very hard to do so because of delayed wakeup. On knockdown I had the most success backing up out of the range of their wakeups and mix between b3 and f3. f3 will catch jumpers hoping to neutral jump your b34 and you can easily convert into chunky damage from it with dash 2, dash 121 ender of your choice.

3. 124 on block is not guaranteeing you anything. If you commit to any of those you will get full combo punished for your troubles. After +6 at that range, a simple walkback will make any follow up whiff and you will get blown up full combo each time. And everyone loves to walkback against Cage, so it's a no no.
A perfectly framed f4 will always lose to 7 frame and below pokes, and sometimes I even got full comboed out of it by a 7 frame jab starter.

However, online, you can expect people not to commit to being frame perfect so an f4 will connect and catch jumps as well. It's on you if you want to risk this after 124 or not. But in the majority of my matches (and my sparring partners are all justin wong wanabees so they lame out wherever they can and they just walk back) the only thing I can do is just throw a forceball out of spite.

In the corner however, you can do a mindgame of backing up a bit for their pokes to whiff, and b2 whiff punish them if they try to anything. Just don't try it on liu kang's f4 since it somehow eats up hitboxes and goes through your b2. The best thing here is to make them afraid of a d4 check and throw them and repeat.

Still you get nothing guaranteed, just mixups between d4, b2, and throw, and hope you guess right.

4. Cassie, and some other matchups with female hitboxes, means a long and boring match. If the Cassie is agressive, then you might have a chance to counter poke them into jailing 244 into nothing. Once you train them you do this, jail them into 2 throw and you might get some damage in. But if they are just walking back lowguns, it's game over. you have to learn the range where you can punish low guns with shadow kick and stay there most of the time and hope they lose it and do something.

Cassie's b2 eats up our d4, f4.b3 and f3, so if you're not frame perfect or if you think about throwing any of those in the neutral you will just get clipped by b2 into full combo.

It's a pretty fun matchup to test your nerves and finally understand the holes in the character. You will be reverted into a d4 hit into f3 - throw or f344 machine the entire match.

5. I have no idea here, sorry :( I played the entire content head to toe before even starting to customize so i had a shitload of glasses from the start without knowing where I got them individually.

6. His pokes are great. Not godlike (no 6 framers here) but d1 and d4 will be your corner stone spam in the matchups where forceballs whiff.
d1 in 2 jail gets you the 2-throw or 244 mixup, and d4 into f3-throw or f344 mixup. This is his best tool and you will use it more than you want to.

d1 nutpunch and d4 nutpunch will catch mashers, but in long sets with good players, where they catch on to you doing this, they will wait out and full combo punish you forever until you get it out of your system.

7. Nut punch restand is +5. You can't use any of your starters as you will get d2 or poke spammed which means the mixup would be throw, d1 or d4, the latter which leads into the jailing throw mixups from above. That's pretty much it.

Some extra points:

8. When forceballs don't whiff, you will feel much better in the matchup. First, you have a legit zoning game where you can just backdash spam forceballs into sudden b34 or f4. As they will be forced to neutral duck, they will eventually get clipped by them for a confirm combo.
You will use ex forceballs to be as up to +7, but at the exact range 124 leaves you at +6, so the options are literally identical to that string.
However, here you can activate brass knuckles and get some shitload of chip with your forceballs. b34 ex fb, bait something into antother string in ex fb and fb, will get you arround 10-15% chip which is huge. d4 forceballs works wonders here as well.

9. Parry. Parry is quite good. It has a slow startup and you will hear people complain that it's useless because of this, in detriment of liu kang one.
But the biggest problem with the parry is not the startup.
Sure , you can't instareact to 10 frame starters and 8 frame parry them, but who does that anyway?

The biggest problem with parry, is the animation. Let's take Skarlet for instance. When she cancels a string into parry, it's EXTREMELY hard to realize if she just blocked after the string or did the parry, as her animation is identical.

For Cage, the animation is SUCH a strong giveaway, that they just need to wait for a split second and not commit, and they will instantly know you're in the parry. And since it lasts forever, it is literally a free combo fun for your opponent. There is no literally sane player alive that will actually hit cage in his parry after he sees the animation.

So you can't do it in small gaps, you can't do it on reaction, and you can't bait the opponent into attacking as the animation is a strong giveaway.

The only thing where this is good at is against wakeups, but god forbid they just stand up, because you can't cut it short like Skarlet and it lasts longer than Kangs, so it's a 50-50 whether you die or not.

10. This is why, against good players that learn the matchup and play long sets, it is irrelevant in my opinion to use Shock Jock. Caged Rage, Parry and Knuckles become useless. d1 nut and d4 nut will not have mileage at all.

Showstopper has unbreakable damage the same as Shock Jock has max damage. Max damage in showstopper is naturally bigger as you get 30% out of b34 and 33% out of f344 which is huge difference, as you have no KB to make up for damage loss.

The FB cancel glasses will net you some more survivability and you will most likely have some comebacks because of this, if you can get that first hit in that is.

11. Standing 1 anti air. This is the closest this game gets on the MK9 anti air level and it will beat up most of the shit this game throws at you. You should get this in your system as soon as possible because it is the best thing Cage has and it gets a shitload of mileage.

12. Talking where the character actually works (non whiffing forceballs), please don't believe all the clueless people saying Cage is a rushdown machine.
You will 100% get destroyed playing him rushdown because his pressure is entirely fake, as I have said above.

He is a neutral monster and a lame-it-out character, the same as Justin Wong said in his video. You will get the most success poking them, hitting them with half screen advancing b34 or f4 into forceball, and then walk back again and do it until they literally collapse from boredom and anxiety and start doing random shit.

When your forceballs hit on block, it gives you such a big space to just get out of contact whenever you want and be ultra annoying with the character. This is his biggest strength imo and should be played like this for maximum success. Now, if we could use this on the entire cast, that is. Which we can't. So we just stay there and dream.

That's about it. I know it sounds grim but the best way to form your personal opinion is to just continue playing him. You will have more success than you might think, but it's only because of the rarity of character online and nobody actually grinding matchups against him. But once you play against someone who had a long Johnny experience, you'll start to feel the matchup choking the life out of you and you'll wish you'd just char select Kabal or Liu Kang.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Hello.

Now I know at this moment you think OMFG it's this tard again coming here to tell me cage sucks and i'll get 10-0ed on all my matches.
Fortunately we have passed that point in time so I'll just tell you my objective experience of what worked and what not.

Let's go Shock Jock first as I'm guessing this is your variation of choice since you mentioned Caged Rage.

1. Caged Rage works a lot online, and on people who don't have Cage matchup experience. In all cases, if you cancel into it on block at a moment where someone is expecting you to cancel into something on block, you will get blown up. I have been full combo punished by Noob out of my level 3 caged rage, so that gap never goes away when you upgrade it.

However, you will get it most of the time (that is, if you're not playing the evo top 8 cyborgs that can react to it free) when canceling from points that nobody expects you to.

b3 Caged rage has the most success, as b34 is burned into the brain of everyone playing against Cage so they will not let go of block to punish/ uppercut you.

Once you leveled it up past 1, it becomes easier as it trades with most pokes and the opponent must really have Cage experience to properly punish you in the gap.

On matchups where forceballs do not whiff, I had success using it in the neutral from far away as people tend to neutral crouch force balls and instantly block if they see you coming, expecting an advanced b3 or f4. SYKE, it was a raw Caged Rage and you blocked it AHHAHAHAH

On most matches it will help you many times close out rounds or make people poke out and get hit by b34 or other strings.

However if you have a sparring partner like I do, and he will learn it over time and expect it, you will 100% get blown up for it each time making the move completely useless (which counts as strike 1 as why not to use this variation, which I'll cover later).

2. After an f44 knockdown we can meaty with our mids :)))) Sorry, couldn't resist. I've found a shitload of people just neutral jump wakeuping against cage, which will make b34 whiff if you don't do it perfectly, And it's very hard to do so because of delayed wakeup. On knockdown I had the most success backing up out of the range of their wakeups and mix between b3 and f3. f3 will catch jumpers hoping to neutral jump your b34 and you can easily convert into chunky damage from it with dash 2, dash 121 ender of your choice.

3. 124 on block is not guaranteeing you anything. If you commit to any of those you will get full combo punished for your troubles. After +6 at that range, a simple walkback will make any follow up whiff and you will get blown up full combo each time. And everyone loves to walkback against Cage, so it's a no no.
A perfectly framed f4 will always lose to 7 frame and below pokes, and sometimes I even got full comboed out of it by a 7 frame jab starter.

However, online, you can expect people not to commit to being frame perfect so an f4 will connect and catch jumps as well. It's on you if you want to risk this after 124 or not. But in the majority of my matches (and my sparring partners are all justin wong wanabees so they lame out wherever they can and they just walk back) the only thing I can do is just throw a forceball out of spite.

In the corner however, you can do a mindgame of backing up a bit for their pokes to whiff, and b2 whiff punish them if they try to anything. Just don't try it on liu kang's f4 since it somehow eats up hitboxes and goes through your b2. The best thing here is to make them afraid of a d4 check and throw them and repeat.

Still you get nothing guaranteed, just mixups between d4, b2, and throw, and hope you guess right.

4. Cassie, and some other matchups with female hitboxes, means a long and boring match. If the Cassie is agressive, then you might have a chance to counter poke them into jailing 244 into nothing. Once you train them you do this, jail them into 2 throw and you might get some damage in. But if they are just walking back lowguns, it's game over. you have to learn the range where you can punish low guns with shadow kick and stay there most of the time and hope they lose it and do something.

Cassie's b2 eats up our d4, f4.b3 and f3, so if you're not frame perfect or if you think about throwing any of those in the neutral you will just get clipped by b2 into full combo.

It's a pretty fun matchup to test your nerves and finally understand the holes in the character. You will be reverted into a d4 hit into f3 - throw or f344 machine the entire match.

5. I have no idea here, sorry :( I played the entire content head to toe before even starting to customize so i had a shitload of glasses from the start without knowing where I got them individually.

6. His pokes are great. Not godlike (no 6 framers here) but d1 and d4 will be your corner stone spam in the matchups where forceballs whiff.
d1 in 2 jail gets you the 2-throw or 244 mixup, and d4 into f3-throw or f344 mixup. This is his best tool and you will use it more than you want to.

d1 nutpunch and d4 nutpunch will catch mashers, but in long sets with good players, where they catch on to you doing this, they will wait out and full combo punish you forever until you get it out of your system.

7. Nut punch restand is +5. You can't use any of your starters as you will get d2 or poke spammed which means the mixup would be throw, d1 or d4, the latter which leads into the jailing throw mixups from above. That's pretty much it.

Some extra points:

8. When forceballs don't whiff, you will feel much better in the matchup. First, you have a legit zoning game where you can just backdash spam forceballs into sudden b34 or f4. As they will be forced to neutral duck, they will eventually get clipped by them for a confirm combo.
You will use ex forceballs to be as up to +7, but at the exact range 124 leaves you at +6, so the options are literally identical to that string.
However, here you can activate brass knuckles and get some shitload of chip with your forceballs. b34 ex fb, bait something into antother string in ex fb and fb, will get you arround 10-15% chip which is huge. d4 forceballs works wonders here as well.

9. Parry. Parry is quite good. It has a slow startup and you will hear people complain that it's useless because of this, in detriment of liu kang one.
But the biggest problem with the parry is not the startup.
Sure , you can't instareact to 10 frame starters and 8 frame parry them, but who does that anyway?

The biggest problem with parry, is the animation. Let's take Skarlet for instance. When she cancels a string into parry, it's EXTREMELY hard to realize if she just blocked after the string or did the parry, as her animation is identical.

For Cage, the animation is SUCH a strong giveaway, that they just need to wait for a split second and not commit, and they will instantly know you're in the parry. And since it lasts forever, it is literally a free combo fun for your opponent. There is no literally sane player alive that will actually hit cage in his parry after he sees the animation.

So you can't do it in small gaps, you can't do it on reaction, and you can't bait the opponent into attacking as the animation is a strong giveaway.

The only thing where this is good at is against wakeups, but god forbid they just stand up, because you can't cut it short like Skarlet and it lasts longer than Kangs, so it's a 50-50 whether you die or not.

10. This is why, against good players that learn the matchup and play long sets, it is irrelevant in my opinion to use Shock Jock. Caged Rage, Parry and Knuckles become useless. d1 nut and d4 nut will not have mileage at all.

Showstopper has unbreakable damage the same as Shock Jock has max damage. Max damage in showstopper is naturally bigger as you get 30% out of b34 and 33% out of f344 which is huge difference, as you have no KB to make up for damage loss.

The FB cancel glasses will net you some more survivability and you will most likely have some comebacks because of this, if you can get that first hit in that is.

11. Standing 1 anti air. This is the closest this game gets on the MK9 anti air level and it will beat up most of the shit this game throws at you. You should get this in your system as soon as possible because it is the best thing Cage has and it gets a shitload of mileage.

12. Talking where the character actually works (non whiffing forceballs), please don't believe all the clueless people saying Cage is a rushdown machine.
You will 100% get destroyed playing him rushdown because his pressure is entirely fake, as I have said above.

He is a neutral monster and a lame-it-out character, the same as Justin Wong said in his video. You will get the most success poking them, hitting them with half screen advancing b34 or f4 into forceball, and then walk back again and do it until they literally collapse from boredom and anxiety and start doing random shit.

When your forceballs hit on block, it gives you such a big space to just get out of contact whenever you want and be ultra annoying with the character. This is his biggest strength imo and should be played like this for maximum success. Now, if we could use this on the entire cast, that is. Which we can't. So we just stay there and dream.

That's about it. I know it sounds grim but the best way to form your personal opinion is to just continue playing him. You will have more success than you might think, but it's only because of the rarity of character online and nobody actually grinding matchups against him. But once you play against someone who had a long Johnny experience, you'll start to feel the matchup choking the life out of you and you'll wish you'd just char select Kabal or Liu Kang.
Okay that's some really, REALLY good info. Thanks <3

On glow kick for Cassie's gunshots, it worked really well on the amped version since you have plenty of time to punish, but I was getting punished for using it on the regular one I'll have to lab the timing. And it's not like you can trade with forceballs since gunshots low profiles.

I honestly really like parries, I've been using Kano's on wake-ups or on people who are offensive maniacs and it works well. I used it like that yesterday too and it worked well. But you're right, compared to Skarlet's parry, it's a bit too obvious and slow as hell. I was also thinking like on block, you could do it if they usually counter poke with D1 I mean that's bound to catch them at least once, or if you drop a combo then you go into it and BAM. I don't know, just some thoughts.

Yeah, I get what you mean now that he's not rushdown, you really have to think about spacing for every MU.

I mean, I know that D2 KB is the most I'll get with Shock Jock, but I play Johnny for the nut punches D: I'll try it for sure tho, I just prefer to punch people in the nuts.

I may have had some issues with @M.D. and his complaining with regards to Johnny, but that was an incredibly well-written post and a great read both for newcomers and for Cage mains.
@M.D. is one of my favorite posters around here honestly. He's one of the few that back up Johnny's issues with actually facts, massive walls of texts facts but still... ;)

Most of the JC ranting on this site is because they got cooked in KL or ranked, online etc. I'm guilty. His rants seem more authentic, lol.

I thought the same thing when reading it. It's a great JC starter pack read, it doesn't discourage a new player from picking him up but it also let's the reader know that you're gonna have to earn your wins with this character in good detail.

Great post MD you cranky S.O.B <3

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Imo you to play Johnny you have to get out of the mindset of just forcing continuous pressure on block and wakeup (cough, Cassie mains ;) ) and into the mindset of finding small moments to walk back, shimmy, space your opponent out and then whiff punish or let your opponent hang themselves.

The best Johnnys I’ve played are the ones that will do something, and then give you the tiniest bit of room or space to think you have an option, and then blow you up for it. It’s just a fundamentally different way to play than Some Other Characters.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Imo you to play Johnny you have to get out of the mindset of just forcing continuous pressure on block and wakeup (cough, Cassie mains ;) ) and into the mindset of finding small moments to walk back, shimmy, space your opponent out and then whiff punish or let your opponent hang themselves.

The best Johnnys I’ve played are the ones that will do something, and then give you the tiniest bit of room or space to think you have an option, and then blow you up for it. It’s just a fundamentally different way to play than Some Other Characters.
that's true, I'm so used to just going ham with Cassie especially on knockdown. I try to do something similar with Johnny, using plus frames on 124 on block and then trying to get them with F4 or B34.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I know this would work better if I'd post a video of my last match so y'all can judge my ass, but I played against a noob on my smurf acc and they got taken to Cage Town real quick so not sure how helpful it would be.

Here are my questions:

2. F44 on hit, what can you meaty after knockdown? I was using B34 but not sure if it beats wakeups.
Gonna tag some Johnny mains @lionheart21 @FoughtDragon01 @Mikemetroid @Johnny Based Cage @Tundra81
1. I don't care what anyone says about Caged Rage being a silly gimmick. It works, especially against players who turtle JC out. I've landed a level 3, 4 times in one match so many times. Get level 1 out any way you can, it's easy to poke. Use 12~CR or F4~CR after that and they wont be poking you. This is the problem most people have with Caged Rage. They think they can use F344, or B34 into it. The gap is bigger after those strings and you're going to eat a combo. Trust me, use 12 and F4. Make sure you're amplifying on hit. I low key love this move and it works all the way up into God tier in KL. People just don't poke out often.

2. There's no good way to attack after a f44 knockdown. You have to guess. Sometimes I throw out a slightly delayed 124, but most times I just back up into JC's optimal range and wait.

3. It's all reads. Some people want to poke and will die if you do F4 stuff. I like F44 for safety, F4~nut punch if I'm feeling saucy. You can dash up throw, F3....it really just depends on your read. If you get a serial walk backer, sometimes it's good to do jump in kicks, but be careful, you might eat an antiair combo. Definitely dont do a jump in punch. A blocked jump in kick usually allows for a fresh 124. B34 also works on those people, but they can jump, or poke. Mostly I start out by testing with F44 just to see how they react because it's safe.

4. Rush that bitch down. Never let her get away. Don't try and counter zone, it wont work well. I always recklessly rush her down, and when I knock her on her ass I always back up out of wake up range and wait for a roll, wakeup, or jump. All 3 allow you to attack again. Learn that rising glow kick flawless block. It's hilarious to blow that shit up. I'm so happy they patched it.

5. Meh, your preference

6. His pokes are some of the best in the game in my opinion. D1 jails into S1 which leads to plus frames. D4 jails into F3. D4 is his bread and butter. D4 dash up throw is always hilarious.

7. The mix is D1 or throw. That's literally all you can get. I almost never go for the throw anymore. It's just asking to be hit by a D2KB. Hell, I never restand unless I'm in the corner anyway. Attempting a nut punch ender midscreen is asking for them to break away and full combo punish you.

Good luck!

I've heard a lot of times how Johnny sucks versus females for some whiffing issues. Can anyone enlightmen me? I've never seen a Johnny Cage whiffing on me

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)

Here are my questions:

Several top players including tweedy are saying Johnnys 3rd variation is top 5 now.
His forceballs are 9f mids that work from mid to full screen and have no recovery.

His forceballs don't connect close up or JIP distance but he has mad Footsie range and pretty good tools in that variation.

Mustard had a video up of him using Kotal Buluc vs Johnny 3V and it looked mad annoying.

The Johnny he played looked like he wasn't very good but this shows how good his fireballs are in V3

If you need to learn Johnny other variations look up STB Kompetitor

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I've heard a lot of times how Johnny sucks versus females for some whiffing issues. Can anyone enlightmen me? I've never seen a Johnny Cage whiffing on me
his forceballs (shock jock) whiff on crouching female hitboxes

His forceballs in Shock Jock and Showstopper wiff on majority of females and some males, which means he has a harder time keeping them off of him and checking them in neutral. It also prevents him from zoning properly.