What's new

Question - Shirai Ryu Takeda's worst match-up?

ATIWAB

Noob
I feel like I get rolled by any competent Goro, which is weird because he's so universally considered "bad."

Reptile is a rough one, too. Breaks any wakeup armor with that damn two-hit flip-kick.

ATIWAB

Noob
I do fine against Goro. I'm right now having the most trouble against BS Shinnok.
Shinnok I play Ronin against for reflect and for SRK on the Imposter tele + zoning with spark outside of Hellsparks range.

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
For Shirai Ryu:

Jax
Lui Kang

Honorable Mentions:

Reptile
Kano

High level players using these characters with relentless rush-down tactics makes the SR match-up difficult (but not impossible).

ATIWAB

Noob
For Shirai Ryu:

Jax
Lui Kang

Honorable Mentions:

Reptile
Kano

High level players using these characters with relentless rush-down tactics makes the SR match-up difficult (but not impossible).
I see a lot of complaints about the Liu Kang matchup, but he's pretty easy to keep at mid imo. Flying kick and fireball are his only real gap closing tools and SR can Tele around both, plus we can smack Flying Kick right out of the air with the recent changes to b21.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
Because of Takeda's low startups, I find flame fist nearly impossible to fight. If they just play completely cookie cutter, you're almost never able to fight back once you're hit. I'm talking about this mostly from the Ronin matchup, but I'm pretty sure SR would be even worse.

If flame fist hits you, he confirms into Jazz hands (no ending cancel), which is extremely plus. Therefore you're forced to hold the next string since he can stuff every armor option with B12. After holding this, Liu Kang has basically generated a full meter making him even more dangerous. On block he ends combos in DB2, making him -2, with the option to go into F12 for a 6 frame startup (8 frames total you have to punish/challenge). Takeda can't really punish/challenge those 8 frames and F12 will stuff his armor options as well. After that he goes right back into jazz hands and you eat the same thing over again. Your only option basically is backdash imo, or maybe I just haven't figured it out. Also if he's hitting your block, cancels into EX fists and then parries, you'll almost always get caught by it because all your punish strings you'd actually go for (ex. F12, since you're never going to B3 as a punish), will get roasted by the parry.

I think he's by far the worst matchup, and he's a very easy character to play making it so that you have to play about 10x better than your opponent to win that matchup. I seriously think, even in the ronin matchup, its one of the worst matchups I've ever played in this game for any character.

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
I see a lot of complaints about the Liu Kang matchup, but he's pretty easy to keep at mid imo. Flying kick and fireball are his only real gap closing tools and SR can Tele around both, plus we can smack Flying Kick right out of the air with the recent changes to b21.
I agree with your statement on the Lui Kang match up regarding intermediate players or players who do not know the Takeda match up for the most part..

I am however specifically referring to Top 100 players in Ranked/PvP (at least on XBL) who have mained these characters for some time and have a thorough understanding about the Takeda match up in general (in my experience)..

In these specific match ups Lasher/Ronin might have an easier time, but I mainly use SR..

Even so, as you stated, these match ups are not impossible, but they are still an uphill battle with very little room for error..

Last edited:

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
His armor is only ass if you don't play Ronin.
Ive played ronin. The armor is MUCH better , but still not that great in a game with safe armored launchers all of let the place. He doesnt warrant enough of a reward especially when against jax he will have to armor out a lot since in that matchup his pokes are basically useless.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
I've straight up succesfully counter picked Takeda using Jax in two tournaments, then won the next two games of the set both times. First it was Shirai Ryu, then lasher, my Jax killed both of Newby's Takedas.
Takedas against Jax should probably go Ronin.
At both Fighting Game Tournament in Buffalo, and weeklies, and one match against a Takeda I forgot the name of at Toryuken.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I fucking hate the phrase safe armored launchers, when literally only Tremor in one variation, Crystalline has one.
That's plus on block launcher.

There are a couple of safe armoured launcher, but this idea that the top tier is rolling in safe armoured launchers is very poorly informed.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
That's plus on block launcher.

There are a couple of safe armoured launcher, but this idea that the top tier is rolling in safe armoured launchers is very poorly informed.
oh yeah, Cassie, namely, sorry I forgot to read the difference between safe and plus, ayyyy lmao, hah, :(

ATIWAB

Noob
Would you guys say that SR Takeda is one of Ronin Takeda's worst matchups?

Every Ronin I run into lately, I counter pick SR and abuse the hell out of the range advantage.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Reptile is a rough one, too. Breaks any wakeup armor with that damn two-hit flip-kick.
Haha, I've had a few Takedas rage quit on me because of this. :D

On the other hand, I've faced a couple great SRs that knew better and were really good at keeping their distance.