What's new

Tech - Takeda Takeda ex Kunai restand / anti wakeup tech

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Stumbled across this in practice mode. If you throw down an EX Kunai and it connects you are able to restand an opponent with a standing 1 and it links to your string making it a high damage launcher. Here is a quick vid showing what it looks like:
Now we get into the practical use of this tech; if you end a combo with ex Kunai and run towards your opponent while knocked down, it forces your opponent to:
A. Wakeup with a low block, giving you free pressure (overheads will be gdlk here)
Or B. Try to wake up. Below is an example of this tech against reptile. I have him set to wake up elbow dash since it's an all around decent wakeup.
As you can see it stuff wakeup attacks and leaves opponents open to punish. I haven't tested this against everyone and I'm sure there will be wakeups that can escape, but I believe this is a big step in developing takeda as a character. Can't wait to explore this more!

protools27

Rebel without a scene
Can you tech roll the 33 at the end and if so would the ex kunai still catch them? Either way good stuff and very tricky

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Can you tech roll the 33 at the end and if so would the ex kunai still catch them? Either way good stuff and very tricky
The tech roll would come out, yes. But the third Kunai would launch them, meaning you can 11~tele, 33~spear. More often than not, I'm sure this setup would lead to that instead of a restand. But both outcomes lead to similar damage.

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
was that an armored wakeup? Looks nice but im not sure if its worth the meter
That wasn't armored, but most armored wakeups have one hit of armor and the standing 1 and Kunai connect simultaneously stuffing most ex wakeups. I'm still testing it on other characters but so far it's been fairly consistent with the right timing. It's not a one size fits all type of setup, but in this case it costs 2 bars and ended in just under 50% with your opponent standing at -31 allowing for another mixup situation. I'd say this is worth the Meter.

Armored wake up? What if they tech roll? And is it worth the meter?

Takeda needs meter to do any amount of damage besides his F12 2+4 opening bnb. He also gains it pretty slowly for as much he needs it.

Even if it works if they armor or tech roll I only see it being viable if his meterless damage gets buffed or his meter building gets buffed.

Interesting find though.

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Been testing this setup in my online matches and I've been smacking people out of armored wakeups left and right. Lao is able to get out of it obviously but that makes for a great punish opportunity on block. This tech has me excited, I feel it's a big game changer in his MUs.

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
Armored wake up? What if they tech roll? And is it worth the meter?

Takeda needs meter to do any amount of damage besides his F12 2+4 opening bnb. He also gains it pretty slowly for as much he needs it.

Even if it works if they armor or tech roll I only see it being viable if his meterless damage gets buffed or his meter building gets buffed.

Interesting find though.
If they try to wake up tech roll it becomes a pop up. True the setup itself doesn't lead to massive damage unless you commit to more meter in which case 3 bars leads to somewhere in the ballpark of 70%.

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
I feel like no matter what this is something I'd like to know. If nothing else it may open our minds to other uses. Great find man!

Fairlysadpanda

Really bad at fighting games.
This is okay mostly because it guarantees pressure... but Takeda has no fast overheads.

IMO this might well be far better in Lasher than SR. In SR you should take your hard KD ender.