What's new

Switch & Shoot MB: The Restand That Once Lived But Died

Greetings, my fellows. Prepare for a wall of text. There is a tl;dr at the end.

@Crusty has directed me to do labbing on Red Hood's Electric Hammers Switch & Shoot MB: this is the restand special the character was given. Red Hood is left at +20 with a gap of distance between himself and the opponent. On a practical level, it guarantees him a blockstring starting with F2,3 and canceled into Electric Hammers. He can jail into 3,2 and B2 from the restand as well.

This restand would catch my fancy, if only it seemed worthwhile to spend the bar of meter on it. A string of blocked crunchy tasers is delightful, but that results in less damage than if he were to just shoot the opponent in the face; to let the Trait Throw go instead of Meter Burning it for the restand. The only time this route does more damage is when Hammer Fury is ended with Bullet Storm (4,3,3,2,MB) for the extra chip. Swaggy, but not practical.

I was instructed to test further potential options. The next scenario is walking forward and grabbing the opponent. From my testing, the plus frames run out before he can get in throw distance, so the opponent can escape by jumping or backdashing. The throw can connect if the opponent stays crouching for an oncoming attack, but the opponent can scout out the walk-up and then jump, perhaps landing an attack in the process, or maybe not. In any case, that was a bar of super meter wasted. A backdash can be read and accounted for with a walk-up B2 or F2, and a jump can be read with a well-timed B2 or F2. But, this does not make up for the fact a bar of meter can be saved, a potential escape and momentum swinger can be averted, and more guaranteed damage can be done by simply not Meter Burning the Trait Throw.

The restand does not grant any combo-starting mixup because Red Hood's F2,3 can be fuzzied, and F3 cannot reach: he must walk forward to get in range, but by then, +20 may as well be +10 or less. Who in their right mind or internet connection would get hit by a 30-frame overhead when they have a nice window to back up, backdash or maybe even stuff the F3? The sensible thing to do is to block low until a forward walk is in sight then do a backdash or try to interrupt a backdash-stuffing attempt, or stand block upon seeing an incoming reactable overhead. In addition, +20 is woefully inadequate for a jump-in attack, and can easily be escaped by a backdash or forward dash.

I like taking stupid risks and getting away with it because it makes me happy, but all these things denote a restand with extremely limited practical potential. When not Meter Burning is more beneficial all around, the MB option is in need of an adjustment. A preferable adjustment would be to make it +39 as it used to be when unblockable interactables were a prominent issue. In those days, Jason could use his restand to exploit unblockable interactables in a dirty manner. The restand was nerfed, and in a subsequent patch, unblockable interactables were re-balanced, but Red Hood's restand was left as it is. This is an unfortunate outcome for Jason.

The nerf being reverted and making the restand +39 again would give back his gimmicky restand Mine set-ups and one-bar-per-loop J3 vortex. It seems fair to me. If not that, then perhaps allowing him to do Lethal Lunge in the air will be a sufficient buff.

Special Notice: On block, the three hits of Red Hood's Hammer Fury are -10, -8, -13. The low ender is -11, and the overhead ender is -13 with pushback (Crusty has made a guide on who can punish it.) The Meter Burn is -1 on block, but it can be backdashed before the last hit to leave Red Hood at -7; which is a frame-perfect punish if you have a 6-frame attack and have your back to the corner. The non-MB ender mixups of Low/OH/Throw can be fuzzied in that order: crouch, stand, crouch. The risk/reward is rather skewed in the opponent's favor.

Too Long; Didn't Read: Red Hood's restand is now a bill of goods, because it is absolutely better for him to shoot and not spend the bar to restand unless there are swag points involved.

Mr. Paulo, Lord Of Gameplay Design -- on behalf of the Red Hoodlums, I request that you revert the nerf to Switch & Shoot MB because unblockable interactables were adjusted and the restand in its current state is not worthwhile at all for the bar spent to have it. Jason is getting edgier by the day in his current state.

This thread was made to bring the matter up. Any questions and comments pertaining to Red Hood and his Trait, particularly the Switch & Shoot ender and Meter Burn, may be posted here.

Last edited:

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Eh, I dunno. So you wanna give him a Batman vortex? Is he really bad enough to warrant a buff like that?

Icefyre

Shadows
I don't think it's that he's bad enough to warrant a Batman-esq vortex, it's just the restand isn't worth anything at all as it currently is. There's no plus side to it that warrants spending a bar on it, all you're doing is wasting meter. I doubt they'll give him what he used to have back, but it's pretty sad to see that he has a cool move that nobody will ever use anymore. I haven't used it myself since the original nerf, I've yet to see a good reason to spend the meter.

It's just like Dualist's LK's healing stance. :DOGE

Last edited:

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
I don't think it's that he's bad enough to warrant a Batman-esq vortex, it's just the restand isn't worth anything at all as it currently is. There's no plus side to it that warrants spending a bar on it, all you're doing is wasting meter. I doubt they'll give him what he used to have back, but it's pretty sad to see that he has a cool move that nobody will ever use anymore. I haven't used it myself since the original nerf, I've yet to see a good reason to spend the meter.

It's just like Dualist's LK's healing stance. :DOGE
Eh, I dunno. So you wanna give him a Batman vortex? Is he really bad enough to warrant a buff like that?
To those leaving remarks about giving Red Hood a Batman vortex, I have this to say: Red Hood used to have that anyway, so it wouldn’t hurt to give it back considering there are other characters that have not only restands but combo-able restands at that. Red Hood’s restand never combed, just granted giant hit advantage now the current hit advantage combined with the distance it leaves him is never worth running.

And before anyone remarks that his restand wasn’t meant to serve that purpose, then I suggest you go back to his watchtower stream where it was clearly said that he gets a free mixup off it. As it stands to reason, there is no decent mixup option to make it worth spending the bar for in its current state. Red Hood gets no free mixup midscreen at +20 with a restand that leads him at sweep distance; he gets relatively nothing and its easy to disrespect in its current state. Also, it doesn’t help to begin with Red Hood’s trait is just bad in terms of risk/reward anyway with fuzzyable mixups that are 1) pretty much full combo punishable if the opponent guesses right 2) take like 10% of the opponent’s health if they guess wrong. It’s not as bad if you manage to corner someone with it, keyword being if because you can’t choose to not switch sides. Hell, I’d argue its slightly more tolerable in the corner.

I was more tolerant when they reduced the HA from the EVO patch considering there were unblockable interactables then, but now since unblockable explosion interactables are pretty much gone, a nonfactor, there is literally no reason to leave his restand as bad as it is currently because the REASON it was nerfed in the first place was unblockable interactables.

Even before the nerfs the mixups he got off it (discounting the interactables) were meh at best without meter, it was still a decent option back then. Now it doesn’t even compliment his playstyle or even supplement it. On all accounts the move is a confusing mess in its current state as is Red Hood’s trait in general.

One or two of these three things need to happen for it have even remote viability because its his second most useless tool in his arsenal in its current state. Though personally I prefer the first to happen.

· Change it from +20 to +39 (it’s original HA)
· Allow him to choose the direction he can throw you in with the regular grab or the mb grab so I can choose to corner them or not.
· Change the properties of the MB such that Red Hood is actually closer to the opponent than sweep distance.

Last edited:

Neeko

Noob
Also, you beat me to the thread @Alien Substance. How could you?
Yeah I think you said it best. They did say he got a mix up for the cost of that bar and right
Now He doesn't. I only use it every once in awhile in specific situations. That or being able to choose what side it restands would work for me. I only use trait in general for chip and to stay safish on strings