What's new

swamp thing guaranteed trait tech

Mattb

Noob
I was messing around with swamp thing after watching Knicks on pig of the huts stream and I possibly found something interesting:

in the corner if you do a standing combo into either MB down back 2 or MB back forward 3 you are able to get a down 2 into trait into down 1 green thumb. this allows you to guarantee a trait while also setting the opponent up any way you like. I find the best of the three options to be 1 as it is the only one that keeps them in the garden. it also leaves them standing and you at +1. this makes down 2 into green thumb monstrous as it combos/ticks both on block and hit and allows you to loop the situation until the garden goes away.

notes/disclaimers:

-i find the down 2 trait into down 1 far easier after MB down back 2. however there are two important strings that don't work with MB down back 2. those are 11 and forward 23. for those do MB back forward 3
-mb down back 2 is +6 on block which is insane
-there is a small gardenless space just behind the opponent after green thumb 1. there are some buttons and strings that will push them into this space on block allowing them to move freely. this sucks for down 1 as it prevents down 1 into green thumb form being an unavoidable tick throw. some successful hits will fill in the rest of the garden but I have not found any that will do so on block.
-I am testing other options after the down 1. the only notable ones so far are down back 1 and back forward 3 as both fill in the rest of the garden, leave the opponent knocked down, and are seemingly safe(have not tested against all wake ups)
knicks set up is to do down 2 trait after a juggle combo and then wiff back 2 to fill in the rest of the garden. this is supper powerful as it leaves you with a super safe full garden allowing you to continuously mix until its gone

I was messing around with swamp thing after watching Knicks on pig of the huts stream and I possibly found something interesting:

in the corner if you do a standing combo into either MB down back 2 or MB back forward 3 you are able to get a down 2 into trait into down 1 green thumb. this allows you to guarantee a trait while also setting the opponent up any way you like. I find the best of the three options to be 1 as it is the only one that keeps them in the garden. it also leaves them standing and you at +1. this makes down 2 into green thumb monstrous as it combos/ticks both on block and hit and allows you to loop the situation until the garden goes away.

notes/disclaimers:

-i find the down 2 trait into down 1 far easier after MB down back 2. however there are two important strings that don't work with MB down back 2. those are 11 and forward 23. for those do MB back forward 3
-mb down back 2 is +6 on block which is insane
-there is a small gardenless space just behind the opponent after green thumb 1. there are some buttons and strings that will push them into this space on block allowing them to move freely. this sucks for down 1 as it prevents down 1 into green thumb form being an unavoidable tick throw. some successful hits will fill in the rest of the garden but I have not found any that will do so on block.
-I am testing other options after the down 1. the only notable ones so far are down back 1 and back forward 3 as both fill in the rest of the garden, leave the opponent knocked down, and are seemingly safe(have not tested against all wake ups)
knicks set up is to do down 2 trait after a juggle combo and then wiff back 2 to fill in the rest of the garden. this is supper powerful as it leaves you with a super safe full garden allowing you to continuously mix until its gone
This would be a really good setup if you weren't only +1 after the restand. If you do Down 2 after the restand you risk getting beat out by every characters down 1 and some characters down 2. And then your trait goes away.

I think your better off ending with command grab 3 then doing a mb f/b 3 to beat a potential wakeup.

Last edited:

D. R.

Noob
The likelihood of hitting d1xxGT after d2xxtrait is slim to none in an actual match because it's somewhat tight.

Knicks "set up" you speak of isn't all that great against competent opponents as it's easily blown up by wake ups. The b2 doesn't recover fast enough after d2xxtrait to even block. He's just using a gimmicky string people are unfamiliar with in b232 to get lots of mileage for the most part. Killtron clearly didn't know the match up and was super free to all of ST gimmicks.

F233, d2xxdb2MB, b2xxtrait and standing stringxxdb2MB, d2, b2xxtrait are optimal because they are completely safe while getting the trait directly where the opponent is standing, forcing the opponent to take action or hold lots of chip especially when combined with f3 MB or b3 MB.

But to each their own.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
The likelihood of hitting d1xxGT after d2xxtrait is slim to none in an actual match because it's somewhat tight.

Knicks "set up" you speak of isn't all that great against competent opponents as it's easily blown up by wake ups. The b2 doesn't recover fast enough after d2xxtrait to even block. He's just using a gimmicky string people are unfamiliar with in b232 to get lots of mileage for the most part. Killtron clearly didn't know the match up and was super free to all of ST gimmicks.

F233, d2xxdb2MB, b2xxtrait and standing stringxxdb2MB, d2, b2xxtrait are optimal because they are completely safe while getting the trait directly where the opponent is standing, forcing the opponent to take action or hold lots of chip especially when combined with f3 MB or b3 MB.

But to each their own.
Bladam cant wake up and killtron played me like 40 games casuals at nlbc and played alucard.

Mattb

Noob
I looked at some of the stuff you all said and tested a few things. first, its actually not as tight as it seems at first. Ive been able to get it pretty consistently after some practice. also if you think your opponent will poke out or your down 2 (which is pretty fast itself) then you can do either down 1(7 frames) or 11(8 frames). if you down 1 against a 6 frame move(the fast move in the game) it will trade if both players are frame perfect.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator

But to each their own.
tech roll to mb b3 actually blows your mb b3 setup up pretty handy, not worth dropping combo damage after using a bar to set up trait and then using another bar to risk getting mb b3 yourself, especially if your playing anyone who knows what to do against it. well too much bad risk/reward going on there for the resources spent imo

but on topic of killtron/knicks, yea agree killtron clearly didnt have a breeze what was going on with some the stuff, which fair enough this early in game with a not very highly used character

D. R.

Noob
tech roll to mb b3 actually blows your mb b3 setup up pretty handy, not worth dropping combo damage after using a bar to set up trait and then using another bar to risk getting mb b3 yourself, especially if your playing anyone who knows what to do against it. well too much bad risk/reward going on there for the resources spent imo

but on topic of killtron/knicks, yea agree killtron clearly didnt have a breeze what was going on with some the stuff, which fair enough this early in game with a not very highly used character
Lol No shit there are ways out of it. It's an option after a safe trait set up. You can charge the b3 and still retain the armor to hit second if you wanna play that game. We can theory fight all day with "what if" scenarios. It's an option, not an absolute. If it were absolute it would be broken.

Come on now.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Lol No shit there are ways out of it. It's an option after a safe trait set up. You can charge the b3 and still retain the armor to hit second if you wanna play that game. We can theory fight all day with "what if" scenarios. It's an option, not an absolute. If it were absolute it would be broken.

Come on now.
no shit? lol
maybe in the two times u posted that video you would of mentioned the options to against it, all you said was it was corner pressure to beat wakeups.
its not "theory fighting" or "what ifs" its explaining a escape that will make u lose at least 1/3 health bar, just like when anyone else posts something here without testing/explaining all options of the setup on both sides its said to them

you were giving out about gimmicks and then posted a video without saying oh yeah you might lose half you life if your opponent knows your going to do this :/ so if u wanna "lol no shit" for someone pointing out what u didnt, have at it

also on what planet it is broken to drop damage on a combo,use two bars and be left +2? garden or no garden i think your the one who needs to "come on now" talking like that man

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
no shit? lol
maybe in the two times u posted that video you would of mentioned the options to against it, all you said was it was corner pressure to beat wakeups.
its not "theory fighting" or "what ifs" its explaining a escape that will make u lose at least 1/3 health bar, just like when anyone else posts something here without testing/explaining all options of the setup on both sides its said to them

you were giving out about gimmicks and then posted a video without saying oh yeah you might lose half you life if your opponent knows your going to do this :/ so if u wanna "lol no shit" for someone pointing out what u didnt, have at it

also on what planet it is broken to drop damage on a combo,use two bars and be left +2? garden or no garden i think your the one who needs to "come on now" talking like that man

D. R.

Noob
no shit? lol

One question: Did you read the video description...?

XxXAntiJoshXxX

Herpetologist - The Study of The Reptillian
I respect that. I was just entertaining it. Lol

Now let's focus on getting Swamp Thing buffed before CEO. #undraintheswamp

Just give him permanent armor. He can be the new Shao Kahn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk