What's new

Guide Surgeon General's Warning - The Smoke Offense Thread

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
After a recent LOL moment online when catching my friend on the way up from a jump with EX Smoke bomb, my recent sessions have been very EX bomb heavy.

The EX bomb hitbox is really big, like huge. This gets neglected because smoke bombs are thrown at blocking opponents from range for pressure, or in strings, and EX Bomb has little use for this other than spunking away meter hopelessly. Its like, from the ground to about mid to shoulder height vertically, the horizontal hitbox is irrelevant because you wont be throwing it if they can just dash forward out of it.

Through massive over use of this after testing it and trying to use it in every game, ive deduced that from fullscreen you cant really rely on this, as the timing is harder from here, i wouldnt waste the meter unless you have got this practiced hard.

From closer to mid than full screen, (about a drift away from the edge, up to just outside jump distance) You can catch jumps on the way down without any effort. This range would mean you have to push forward and then react to the anti air, a lot of risk just to punish a jump that wasnt going to reach you anyway. An EX Smoke bomb timed so they are on the way down when it pops, will collect them up into your combo.

Now the big one. Any time your opponent jumps backwards from inside jump distance, you can catch them with an EX Bomb.
Im not oging to make detailed videos or really go in any deeper as to why this is insane. I really like this, its quite a big factor for smoke given that chasing someone who just jumped away can end horribly for you.

I dont see this as groundbreaking tech, and im sure everyone knows you can do this already, but putting it into context is a different story.

Combined with pressure, spacing, and the fact that smokes air control with telepunch was already on par, i think that using meter for this is definitely worth the extra 30-40% punishing jumps from all around the screen, aggressive or not.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Seriously? That's a much smaller window than I assumed it to be. Reptile's dash on block is more negative than that, and quite a lot of people can't even punish that so who in their right mind will consistently punish a 3d1 stagger string? This is very interesting, and I'll try incorporating it into my play somehow... just not entirely sure where I can fit it in yet. I need some soul searching LOL
Well, it's technically 15 but unless they commit to a counter poke or jump out before hand, they will get blown up by standing 3. I'm just trying to illustrate that the window to react to it is very very very small and it's infinitely more likely they will commit to a guess.

3d1 xx smoke away > jip > d4 > d3 > crossup punch > d4 > d4 > b23 xx bomb combo OR throw. their minds will be so full of fuck
I have had a huge list of these written into the notepad on my phone for months now lol. It's my secret weapon.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
KT Smith Sorry to keep blowing up your 3d1 staggers, im sure you got them down.

You see 3d12 like 100 times every time you play a smoke, they arent going to miss the 2 coming out or not coming out, the frames are irrelevant when you have a visual gap in the string, thats what they react to , a simple poke will destroy any pressure 3d1 creates. Scorpions 11 string is all at around 0 frames on block, theres no time to react to how many hits you counted. This is far from the case with smoke.

Im not saying that this is going to be blown up every time, but its really easy to stop.
Mustard-LK4D4 did you have any trouble poking out of the unfinished strings when i tried to take this on board?

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
not really, you have more than enough time to see hes not done the last hit

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
KT Smith Sorry to keep blowing up your 3d1 staggers, im sure you got them down.

You see 3d12 like 100 times every time you play a smoke, they arent going to miss the 2 coming out or not coming out, the frames are irrelevant when you have a visual gap in the string, thats what they react to , a simple poke will destroy any pressure 3d1 creates. Scorpions 11 string is all at around 0 frames on block, theres no time to react to how many hits you counted. This is far from the case with smoke.

Im not saying that this is going to be blown up every time, but its really easy to stop.
Mustard-LK4D4 did you have any trouble poking out of the unfinished strings when i tried to take this on board?
The 3D12 string if it ends early is pretty easy to punish on reaction (assuming the smoke wants to repeat the string or poke) but thats probly because I play characters with fast normals

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
It's also easy to see when JC's f333 string ends if it's staggered but he's been coasting on that shit since launch

In the end, I'm going to use it until it stops working

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
It's also easy to see when JC's f333 string ends if it's staggered but he's been coasting on that shit since launch

In the end, I'm going to use it until it stops working
Thats all there is to it really, it works for you, didnt work for me.

I cant see how putting yourself at -15 just so you can attempt a tick throw mixup is a big enough benefit to risk ( or in my case more often than not, just straight up lose) your pressure

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Thats all there is to it really, it works for you, didnt work for me.

I cant see how putting yourself at -15 just so you can attempt a tick throw mixup is a big enough benefit to risk ( or in my case more often than not, just straight up lose) your pressure
-15?

3d1 is -1 on block, Im just using 15 because that's the space between when 3d1 ends and another 3 will connect.

if you want to tick throw, you're doing it from -1 not -15

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
FrothyOmen

Once I start the block string, the mix up possibilities I use are:

3d1 > 3d1
3d1 > throw
3d1 > 3d12
3d1 > d1 (to bait jump outs)
The only ones here that arent -15 are 3d1 >throw and 3d1 >d1.

3d1 > d1 will get counterpoked , obviously they have to be frame perfect jedis, but so do you.

3d1 > throw ends your pressure and is also poke-out able. All of the options other than 3d1 > d1 would be counter poked.

Sorry but i just cant find the gold here. (still not flaming though, you obviously have something going on here)

I will try some 3d1 pressure after my lab tonight assuming I don't have too much homework stuff to do. I'll let you know how it fares for me since it seems like it's only you two guys talking about it: maybe a third opinion could help