What's new

Summit of Time Starts Today

Right now actually. The events of the day are starting up in a few minutes, and you can catch all of that and what's going on this weekend in the post down below.

So first up is going to be some random matches that don't count for anything, followed by the group battle. You can scope all of that out here. That's the link for the group stages, the random match opener, the Rock, Paper Scissors Championship (where people will play Rock, Paper, Scissors) and the Commentator Crew Battle (where the commentators on the crew will battle....in Mortal Kombat (the game, not in real life Mortal Kombat)). For some reason, they haven't posted pools for that old school vs. new school thing, or even explained what it is or who is playing and what game is it on. So that'll be a surprise for tomorrow.

As for Mafia, if you haven't seen previous Summits, this is kind of a staple. The basic idea is half of the house is split into townspeople, while the other half are mafia members. Then in a serious of voting rounds, you need to try and suss out who is on the other team and convince everyone to vote and get them out of town. It's fun and you get to see who can make those real life reads and who is just guessing.

You can catch that using the Twitch link below. Everything is running through Sunday, so if you'll have plenty of opportunities to catch something if you can't watch today.

Comments

Dragon looked good on spacing and footsies, but he crumbled a lot under Sonic's offense.
I love how zoning is less full screen pew pew this game (except for Zonya lul). A lot more fun to play as, against and watch.
It's basically the zoning that I like to see, which is using your long-range footsies and your projectiles to keep the opponent out, rather than just relying just on your projectiles.

What in the hell was that video LOL. I got semi hype I thought they were announcing a classic re-release or something, dammit. Instead we got Milk and Bong Lao... I can’t

What in the hell was that video LOL. I got semi hype I thought they were announcing a classic re-release or something, dammit. Instead we got Milk and Bong Lao... I can’t
Milk was dope af what's wrong with you. Fun little video.

Very pleased with the way this game is shaping up in tourney play. Very exciting to watch, and learning a lot from these matches.
Agreed. There are lots of variables that make almost every match exciting, but those variables are fairly easy to understand and keep track of (even if executing them is difficult).

The commentary will still make a huge difference. If they explain those variables and keep the focus on the game rather than themselves (which was a huge problem with just about all of them until the last few years) then I think the audiences for the events can increase at the same rate that the event participation seems to be.

Will miss CB in a couple weeks, but very much looking forward to watching the MK (and TMNT) content later.

Great production value for the Summit, looked like fun for everyone involved, and the matches were great.

This game looks awesome in tournament -- there's a great balance between spacing/neutral, zoning, crazier moments, big reads and risk/reward, plus all the tiny mind games that happen in close (the mini-walkbacks, poke and throw games, mini-mixups etc).

It's still early, but balance-wise this game seems to very much resemble post-patch Injustice 2, where some characters may be better, but overall no one seems to be breakaway broken or far above the rest of the cast. I'm going to guess that we'll see some heroic runs from some unexpected characters at Combo Breaker. Exciting.

Great production value for the Summit, looked like fun for everyone involved, and the matches were great.

This game looks awesome in tournament -- there's a great balance between spacing/neutral, zoning, crazier moments, big reads and risk/reward, plus all the tiny mind games that happen in close (the mini-walkbacks, poke and throw games, mini-mixups etc).

It's still early, but balance-wise this game seems to very much resemble post-patch Injustice 2, where some characters may be better, but overall no one seems to be breakaway broken or far above the rest of the cast. I'm going to guess that we'll see some heroic runs from some unexpected characters at Combo Breaker. Exciting.
Agreed. This game is actually in a great place balance wise for launch. Character wise and play style wise. Zoning is legit but not braindead boring to play/ watch. I actually find myself enjoying the zoners for the first time because characters like cetrion and Skarlet have to mix things up instead of just using one projectile over and over.