What's new

Subzero General Discussion Thread

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Also I’m having trouble with jade and nightwolf and noob are a nightmare right now...

mrapchem

Noob
I’ll have to give s3 a try or s33 as well. For some reason some of the cast I’m having issues punishing..but I make one mistake with sub and I’m eating 40%..
If you don't mind me asking, what precisely are you having trouble punishing?

I will say that if a blocked move/normal leaves the opponent close - like a Scorpion teleport - to Sub, use 21-IceBall into your combo.

If the blocked move/normal leaves the opponent at some kind of range - like a Sub-Zero's blocked slide - then use S3-IceBall into your combo.

mrapchem

Noob
Also I’m having trouble with jade and nightwolf and noob are a nightmare right now...
For Jade: Be patient, use Thin Ice for the Air Axe and Slide KB - or better yet, use a custom Sub-Zero like I do - and work your way in. You do more damage than she does and if she makes an error, you can hurt her, get a life lead and make her come to you.

For Noob: He can be tough, but don't be afraid to pelt him with Air Axes and throw out occasional IceBalls if your Noob likes to use projectiles. Also, you can throw out random S1s from range to make it look like you're about to throw an IceBall. This will bait him into doing a teleport, which you can kill him for.

For Nightwolf: He's tough, but you can make him respect you if you're using Avalanche. The Kreeping Ice after B143 is really nice, plus you can try to keep Nightwolf cornered with the Arctic Trap - it just needs to be set up after a B321 knockdown. At midscreen, hit him with lots of D4s, then immediately back away to provoke a reaction. If he takes the bait, you can hit him with a B14 or overhead as a whiff-punish. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of experience fighting good Nightwolfs, but he isn't unbeatable if you know your stuff and play smart.

I hope this helps out a little bit.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Thanks looks like I’ll also have to look at the string date a bit more cause I feel like im either out of range to punish things or b32 or f24 isn’t enough and b143 isn’t cutting it either

I’ll defiantly keep these in mind
Some things you'll have to do a quick dash & then go into punishment like Kabal's nomad dash or Sonya's leg takedown.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
The string on its own? Didn't notice that.

All his combos do 2.5-3% less now because of the universal JK scaling nerf
That must be it then, since that KB is always preceded by a jump kick. I didn't have time to read through all the notes, just noticed it playing online last night. Kinda unfortunate. 31% midscreen from 12 starter :(

mrapchem

Noob
Given the fact that Sub-Zero's U3 was buffed, but his combo damage was nerfed due to JIKs doing less damage, I think it's high-time that Sub players start exploring his custom variations - if you aren't doing so already. Rising Ice now optimizes his damage output more than it already did.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Given the fact that Sub-Zero's U3 was buffed, but his combo damage was nerfed due to JIKs doing less damage, I think it's high-time that Sub players start exploring his custom variations - if you aren't doing so already. Rising Ice now optimizes his damage output more than it already did.
Lol I'm 100% not gonna waste my time on non-competitive variations.

SOLEdier

IHideBehindIceClones
So... How are we suppose to use F4 to break armor... All the times people can breakaway F4 can’t be done, or you have to Know your opponent will breakaway.

Is there any trick to landing the corner combo that goes starter, freeze, J2, B32 slide, 2,2,21 slide?? Having trouble connecting the 2's after slide, mainly the second one. Or is this just the optimal that like Ninjakiller level players go for?

Actually....i was testing against Sheeva's Fatal Blow. If you time it just right...the brutal kick goes right through her Fatal Blow and you get the Krushing Blow. Potentially another good use?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
How do you guys thing he does vs the new characters? I dont wanna buy aftermath and would probably pay money only for Fujin. Can't practice with the characters as I don't own them, so I have just been going full unga bunga. Vs Sheeva, I have honestly been having a lot of luck just spamming B14, she doesn't really seem to compete with SZ or any other character with long range buttons for that matter.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
How do you guys thing he does vs the new characters? I dont wanna buy aftermath and would probably pay money only for Fujin. Can't practice with the characters as I don't own them, so I have just been going full unga bunga. Vs Sheeva, I have honestly been having a lot of luck just spamming B14, she doesn't really seem to compete with SZ or any other character with long range buttons for that matter.
Just watch out for Deadly Dragon. The shoulder charge is 12 frames, covers a lot of ground. Whiff something in front of that and you will be full combo punished if they're good. But the other two, they can't answer your b1.

I haven't played against any Robos, nobody uses him because he's that bad. Haven't had much trouble with Fujin either.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Just watch out for Deadly Dragon. The shoulder charge is 12 frames, covers a lot of ground. Whiff something in front of that and you will be full combo punished if they're good. But the other two, they can't answer your b1.

I haven't played against any Robos, nobody uses him because he's that bad. Haven't had much trouble with Fujin either.
I haven't had too much trouble with Fujin either but I can only play like 2 or 3 sets a day so its more like "oh ok he's flying, now he's sliding, oh shit I guess thats a crushing blow too", but most of them either suck or very understandably haven't fully learned him. Theoretically, I feel like SZ could do well against all 3 of them. He feels pretty good right now imo

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Which variation do you guys use against any Sindel Royal Edenian and Cassie Cage Digital Soldier? I use Dead of Winter vs Cassie and have more luck than Avalanche, I get my shit kicked in by Sindel period.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I like the metal arm guards, but tbh, for an exclusive UMK11 skin, I wish they wouldn't have just recolored ones he's already got.

The steel case and mask look sick tho. I'm really tempted to get it lmao