What's new

Sub-Zero's 3rd equipment slot: wasted potential?

Lokheit

Noob
This might seem unimportant as it's mostly something cosmetic, but I think Subbie's 3rd equipment slot is wasted on something that is completly irrelevant for the character:

Some very small kunais or shurikens attached to his belt that he doesn't really use and you don't even notice during his gameplay.

Other characters have far more relevant items here and you clearly see them during gameplay (turrets, banners, spears, medallion... Skarlet vials, even if small, are related to her powers and shine) and I think it would've fit Sub-Zero more to have a slot for his Grand Master medallion, which has had different designs over different games, and even make it shine during the use of his powers so the item gets some attention.

Currently this slot seems like a waste as it's not really something that anyone is going to notice and the whole point of equipment is to look cooler. No one is going to notice if you got something cool equiped there.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I agree, and hey I think customization in a game is really important. Making a character feel like they're your own is important. I think the custom slots would have been better as weapon(s), head and body for all characters.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
In that case, considering the kunai are tiny and the axes aren't present until certain strings, I agree with OP. He needs something different to customize. lol

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Maybe you can equip the Grandmaster or Dragon Medallion on his belt? Probably not, but you've gotta remember we haven't even seen like half of his gear or skins yet.

They also need to change his hat or however u wonna call it,and his stance is soo lame,looks like his holding a baby,lol.Its a step down compare to mkx,almost all othe character look cool,just look at scorpion and raiden they look sick,i just want the same love for sub zero,he become a joke in the story,i mean cmon scorpion always beats him,cmon at least make them equals,its stupid that u treat one of the most popular characters like that,ur disrespecting us fans like that...

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
They also need to change his hat or however u wonna call it,and his stance is soo lame,looks like his holding a baby,lol.Its a step down compare to mkx,almost all othe character look cool,just look at scorpion and raiden they look sick,i just want the same love for sub zero,he become a joke in the story,i mean cmon scorpion always beats him,cmon at least make them equals,its stupid that u treat one of the most popular characters like that,ur disrespecting us fans like that...
Wtf are you talking about?

I agree but it's probably too late now to change anything. What we see is what we get unfortunately:(

Hopefully they give us the white eyes and icy hands at some point. He looks way too...''friendly' right now imo

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
Am talking about his looks it sucks,i want it to be better.
You can customize the characters and I've seen classic looking skins for him, among others. They look better than his default, but I like his default. I guess I'm in the minority

I agree but it's probably too late now to change anything. What we see is what we get unfortunately:(

Hopefully they give us the white eyes and icy hands at some point. He looks way too...''friendly' right now imo
They changed skarlets hair,maby its not to late,its esay just to give him difrent head pice,iv seen the clasics it ok,but its not as good as mkx,i just hope u can have mkx skin,iv seen that they have the mask,i hope at least they give him the skin.cuz i really hate his look right now.

Shirakani

BBQ on Scorpion's head
You can customize the characters and I've seen classic looking skins for him, among others. They look better than his default, but I like his default. I guess I'm in the minority
I love the armor on his default but I really don't like the head/hat. I know they're trying to go for a 'more Chinese'y' look but ugh, its just bad.

Default but no headgear + unmasked like in the story mode = best.

Lokheit

Noob
In retrospective, seeing how many characters can customize their gloves, I think gloves with icy arms effects (like Cryomancer or 3D era) or ice shard effects (injustice) permutations would've allowed for some cool designs, maybe even some with altered particles (vapor, ice particles, etc...). Of course a second weapon would've been great, but seeing how that's out of the equation and gloves are a popular gear option, it looks like it could've worked better.

It's never made sense how they force him to have weapons he doesn't use because he creates his own ones. At least the iced version of them with the shadders that have cool colors are alright... but still a wasted opportunity.

My main problem right now though is that the bigger version of his axe is always the default one, some of them would look awesome as 2 handed axes and I don't see any that would cause problems with the fatality or the cold shoulder EX, so I don't know why they don't make it look like the others (specially since the default one is ugly af and there are many cool options).

Lokheit

Noob
same for kitana
mileena’s sai is optional and i dont even use it
Yeah, Kitana and Jaquie are other character with big misses in the gear department, with Kitana having stuff from a different character and Jaquie having a duplicated slot...

It really looks like they couldn't think about anything that would make those characters original (honestly, Jaquie should've Cassie's drone given how she is the tech nerd and lacks personality while Cassie would've been equally charismatic without it).