What's new

Sub-Zero variations on PS4?

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
I used to play a lot of MK9, but basically sat out MK10. Just getting into MK11 again, and I'm confused by the "variation" videos I'm seeing on YouTube.

On PS4, I have the following two default variations:
  1. Purest Ice (Deep Freeze, Creeping Ice)
  2. Blast Chilled (Cold Shoulder, Rising Ice, Empty third slot)
In videos, I'm seeing the following two tournament builds:
  1. Thin Ice (Frigid Storm, Death-Cicle Barrage, (Air) Polar Axe)
  2. Dead of Winter (Deep Freeze, Cold Shoulder)
Why on Earth are the tournament builds not the default builds? It's very strange that I needed to find a YouTube video (courtesy of Tom Brady) to explain how to change the presets to the official tournament ones.

Also, I'm a casual player (father of a hyperactive 5yr old, so I don't have much free time). Is there any point in practicing the tournament builds over custom builds if I'm just playing online?

Thanks!

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Nah no point in relegating yourself to tournament variations unless you’re planning on playing in tournament (or online ranked).

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
The tournament variations are not the ones that come with the game you have to go and set them up. If you don’t wanna play ranked you can pretty much do whatever you want. If you want to set up a tourney one you have to go in the moves lost click on 1 and there will be a trophy next to the variation name. You can also use pre sets they’ve made or mix and match your own.