What's new

Guide - Unbreakable [Pre October '16 Patch] Sub-Zero UNBREAKABLE Guide reborn

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
@RM Ree, I hadn't seen it in the threads or in tournament, thus the credit. Of course, there's a lot on this site, so I could have missed it.

@Tanno, no trick. Just practice. Online it can be tough, but it's not too bad off once you get used to it.

Parrying jump-ins would be nice, but he can still very much win as is. He has multiple strong tools.
this makes me wonder if it's possible with the right timing and positioning? Making it not as strong and easy to use as the clone in GM but still having a purpose in those cases. Ever tried that yet?

Id love it but it would be broken. I want is to recover instantly vs projectiles, and for aura to give Sub-Zero meter for blocking attacks.
actually no bad idea about the recovery and for adding damage to his combos, removing the added damage scaling when being frozen by his parry and iceball, or nah?

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
@Tanno, no trick. Just practice. Online it can be tough, but it's not too bad off once you get used to it.
I'll test if it reaches 43% like you suggested. But mind if you can create a video showing this combo. I can't catch the opponent in mid-air in practice. Seems like the hardest link there. Once I see the video, I will understand where's the problem not connecting the 123 after the 242.

True about the online, but the problem is that the online varies by anybody's connection.

Last edited:

Tanno

Edit here: It works. I found why it was so hard. You need to have the opponent a lot higher with 242 before Subby can catch him with 123. You need to time down BOTH 242 and 123 as earlier as possible.

Tanno

Edit here 2: I found 3 combos with the input @Jeffrey Wolf suggested. I also added the FJP> B2> B2 as a starter. I'll upload these 3 and show you guys. The input Jeffrey suggested is the hardest ever.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Wolf

@TjimVDT, in my opinion, the main thing he needs is a better neutral string. Of course, that would end up buffing his other two variations as well, and is an unlikely patch for NRS to make with KP3, if there even is one. Also, a faster get off of me poke (i.e. D1) would be great.

Getting to parry jump ins would also be nice, but I don't think he needs it. Also, his damage is fine. Fairly standard for the cast, plus he has reset options. I realize that he was recently named the worst character in the game, but that seems a bit much. Yes, there are some holes in his game, and fighting GM is a pain, but, otherwise, he has some very good options.

Tanno

@Tanno, glad to hear that you got it working and that you'll be recording it. I don't have the equipment myself.
I use the ps4 to record it, then i export them into my pc via usb, and finally, add them to Wondershare video editor. This is the light version of the adobe premiere pro.

I ll be sleeping for now. Once I wake up, i ll start uploading them. ;-)

Jeffrey Wolf

Sure thing. I'm on PSN these days. Jeffrey8Wolf.

I'm in the states, so we'll see how the connection holds up =)

Tanno

Sure thing. I'm on PSN these days. Jeffrey8Wolf.

I'm in the states, so we'll see how the connection holds up =)
Added you. ;)

True. I don't know if it will hold up. I know there's the region lock issue with the servers.

Tanno

Attack: Barrier of Frost (Down, Back +2)
Range: Close
Frame Data: 5 frame startup, -40 on whiff, active for 33 frames, +110 when successful.
Variation: Unbreakable
Description: Parry that freezes the opponent, giving you a combo opportunity. The Barrier of Frost will parry all high, mid, overhead, and low attacks except for jumping and X-Ray attacks. This attack is full combo punished when unsuccessful.
This description needs to be updated. If you do the EX Barrier of Frost, it works against the wake up attacks. I tested it against Sub Zero's Icy slide (EX BF4) and it worked. I'll test it against other characters to see which does it work or not.

After @Tom Brady 's discovery on counterattack against the wakeup attacks with Ice Klone and D4, I tested it on the EX Barrier of Frost and it works the same, but with the cost of one bar.

Edit: I'll be damned. Instead of testing against Raiden's Superman the EX Barrier of Frost, I did input the EX Ice Aura and it worked the same way. It seems that the EX Aura, while keeping the R2, is like a super block by itself, while giving the Ice Aura earlier. xD

Last edited:

Jeffrey Wolf

I was actually thinking of making a list of all the special moves that Unbreakable's parry works against, as some are deceptive.

Also, Tanno, what do you mean about the counterattack discovery as it relates to Unbreakable? Wouldn't we just be using the parry, unless it's one of the above, in which case we'd block/whiff punish?

Tanno

I was actually thinking of making a list of all the special moves that Unbreakable's parry works against, as some are deceptive.

Also, Tanno, what do you mean about the counterattack discovery as it relates to Unbreakable? Wouldn't we just be using the parry, unless it's one of the above, in which case we'd block/whiff punish?
This is what we're talking about. The Ice Parry is the Barrier of Frost and by counterattack discovery that Brady found is this.

And I mean this one as Anti-Wakeup Counterattack. This one counters all the EX attacks the characters do to get away from the corner.

Here's the video that tips this for Unbreakable. ;)

Note that it doesn't work, if the characters jump/warp attack, like Alien's Xeno Pounce (DF3) or MIleena's skydown kick, except of Scorpion's warp. Scorpion's warp is the only one that works in all of the warp attacks.

Jeffrey Wolf

Thanks for reposting Brady's vid. For Unbreakable though, yeah, we'd just use Parry. Also, Parry actually works on things like Mileena's teleport. Just FYI.

llabslb

R1D1_998
I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere or not but I tested the frame data on unbreakable's aura cancels. Maybe this will come to use.

F4 AC = +20
24 AC = +3
B33 AC = +4
F42 AC = 0
B12 = 0
12 AC = 0
D4 AC = -3
F33 AC = -5

11 AC = +8

I found that 11 AC able to jail into itself but it's pretty tight as well as being inconsistent. I'm not sure if the inconsistency of the block advantage is because of my execution or because of something in game. Either way 11 AC can be at least +8. Certainly an odd one and I really need to do more testing in general.

I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere or not but I tested the frame data on unbreakable's aura cancels. Maybe this will come to use.

F4 AC = +20
24 AC = +3
B33 AC = +4
F42 AC = 0
B12 = 0
12 AC = 0
D4 AC = -3
F33 AC = -5

11 AC = +8

I found that 11 AC able to jail into itself but it's pretty tight as well as being inconsistent. I'm not sure if the inconsistency of the block advantage is because of my execution or because of something in game. Either way 11 AC can be at least +8. Certainly an odd one and I really need to do more testing in general.

Is this on hit or block? (assuming on hit)
Also is this the EX AC?