What's new

Question - Grandmaster Sub-Zero Punishes

SwagMountains

Yes we Kahn
I've been toying around with subby for awhile, I have the combos down, the grab into clone tech role, the string hit confirming into clone or ice ball, but I have nooooo Idea what to punish with in many scenarios. Kotal is my main, f1b2 makes all the sense in the world to punish with, as it advances forward, does a ton of meterless damage, and has a reasonable start up. It seems like many moves such as reptiles slide or quan chi trance(can't remember if this was what I was having trouble with) displace and low profile sub-zero. In essence, what strings do I punish with? In circumstances in which I'm pushed back do I just slide? Help a brotha out

SwagMountains

Yes we Kahn
I get like mileena ball b1,2 punish, i'm just having a rough time with specific moves that have pushback. So if i'm pushed back I should go with like f42 slide? It seems like f3,3 gets low profiled, or the first hit doesn't reach

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Go into training, set computer to always block, reversal, and whatever move you want to learn to punish. Hit with standing 1, block, and go down the list.

Don't neglect neutral duck, run up 11, jip, and the like when in the lab, working things out. Get creative (ie Quan Chi in corner, block trance, is clone/ ex statue> string fast enough to punish with a shatter combo?)

Let us know what you find!

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
In case anyone was curious, if you do manage to mind game Quan Chi into raw trance while he's in the corner (don't tell me this doesn't happen, Quan does it all the time to punish unsafe clones, and Madzin was baiting Ketchup into it after b12 so shhhhhh shh shh shhhhhhh), optimal punish as far as I know is...

(reversal) ex ice statue, ji1, b12 xx ice burst (shatter), d1, b12 xx ex ice blast, njp, jip, b12 xx slide (50%, 2 bars)
-or-
(reversal) ex ice statue, b2, 24 xx ice burst (shatter), b12 xx slide (45%, 1 bar)

Ex statue cool down was too long for me to get the meterless freeze. I tried ex statue, b2, 24 xx shatter into (...1, 1, 11 xx clone) and into (11 xx ice ball), but unfortunately neither one worked. If anyone can find a decent work around, that'd be awesome.

Note that after reversal statue, run b12 starter yields the same damage ji1, b12 does, if you prefer to stay on the ground/ less hits (be aware however, that for some reason starting with b12 instead of ji1 gives Quan slightly MORE meter, despite the combo being one less hit. Comes out to almost a full bar). Ji1 is not an option in the b2 combo because ji1 doesn't combo into our OH at any height.

Pretty good use of meter in the MU if you want to close out, or spend a bar/ 2 bars for heavy damage. Combo is ended in b12 xx slide because it's Quan Chi and he can't do much about it, but feel free to end in f12 for the safe clone and slightly less damage.