What's new

Sub-Zero General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeTetris

draxx them sklounst
So what have we identified as Subzero's crushing blows so far? We know characters have around 5-6 crushing blows each. So far I've seen;

- 3 ex slides
- Uppercut counter hit
- incorrect throw tech

Are there any others you guys have seen through the released gameplay? I believe I saw one with one of his kick attacks.
that would be 124 on counterhit/punish, i believe

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
you're missing the point my man, its not about he didnt have the ice clone since day 1, it made him special and made his gameplay vastly different and stand out from the usual characters archetype in any fighting game
His Ice Ball made him unique since MK1. I'd like if Ice Shower came back and Ice Puddle be strong so he can be a threat again. And another variation some type of Sub-Saibot. Klone Charge, Klone UpKnee, Klone Slide.

Imperium

Noob
Okay good so I wasn't imagining that one.

Also, Subzero only gets a combo out of his F2 overhead if he cancels into ex ice ball. But ex ice ball is a gear move, it's not universal across all 3 default variations.

Do you guys think the ex ice ball or "Deep Freeze" variation becomes the must-have variation because it enables his 50/50 combo starter, as well as it gives him his best anti zoning tool?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Okay good so I wasn't imagining that one.

Also, Subzero only gets a combo out of his F2 overhead if he cancels into ex ice ball. But ex ice ball is a gear move, it's not universal across all 3 default variations.

Do you guys think the ex ice ball or "Deep Freeze" variation becomes the must-have variation because it enables his 50/50 combo starter, as well as it gives him his best anti zoning tool?
Depends on what the other variations have. Personally I'm not keen on having deep freeze in my variation of choice because it occupies 2 slots meaning less moves at my disposal.

Imperium

Noob
Couple things I learned from Mustard on twitter

ex Rising Ice does not really combo mid screen. I was hoping that maybe string - ice ball - string - rising ice - string - slide could have given subzero an extra section to his midscreen combo, but Mustard said the only thing he got to connect from ex rising ice was slide, so it sorta doesn't work as well.

I also asked about his B2 "launcher" to see if it could be worked midscreen at all to give a little extra variation or damage to subs bnb. He said he could get 1,2, slide to combo after it, but nothing else yet. So current bnb sounds along the lines of B14 iceball, JIP, B2, 12 ex slide.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Not even gonna lie, we objectively speaking have the most badass character in the game. Our boy Sub is in charge of the deadliest assassins in the world, the only time in the new canon he fought Scorpion with BOTH of them having the intention to kill each other he won, he beat Goro and Kintaro at the same time as CSZ, surpassed his older brother in every way, killed an army of cyborgs and Sektor back to back without even having to exert himself fully, he is afraid of literally nothing, and tears peoples SPINES out. All while being a mortal man who can be killed, does all this without some godly level power or immortality.

Never been so hyped to play a character in a video game

Lokheit

Noob
Not even gonna lie, we objectively speaking have the most badass character in the game. Our boy Sub is in charge of the deadliest assassins in the world, the only time in the new canon he fought Scorpion with BOTH of them having the intention to kill each other he won, he beat Goro and Kintaro at the same time as CSZ, surpassed his older brother in every way, killed an army of cyborgs and Sektor back to back without even having to exert himself fully, he is afraid of literally nothing, and tears peoples SPINES out. All while being a mortal man who can be killed, does all this without some godly level power or immortality.

Never been so hyped to play a character in a video game
Not to mention effortlessly stopping Kotal and his elite guard by himself before his troops charged to fight the outworldians.

Imperium

Noob
Here's a look at the 1,2,4 crushing blow. Appears you can't JUST punish with 1,2,4, I think you have to combo into it.

For example in this video, earlier on you can see the crushing blow successfully performed in a full combo, but when it's done by itself at the very beginning of the match at 4:57, it doesn't happen. I believe that you have to do this as a combo ender (like a combo above a certain hit limit) non a combo you punish with.

Lokheit

Noob
Ok, we got confirmation os Slide low profiling highs, now just need confirmation of it still going under mids like MKX and I'll be happy. Anyone got footage os slide going under Baraka's mid projectiles? MK11 Slide looks more like Reptile's MKX slide than Subbie's MKX super low slide.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Here's a look at the 1,2,4 crushing blow. Appears you can't JUST punish with 1,2,4, I think you have to combo into it.

For example in this video, earlier on you can see the crushing blow successfully performed in a full combo, but when it's done by itself at the very beginning of the match at 4:57, it doesn't happen. I believe that you have to do this as a combo ender (like a combo above a certain hit limit) non a combo you punish with.
124 is a krushing blow if you use it to end a 10+ hit kombo. You can see it in the match vs. Geras in the K&M video.

15:50 mark

Lokheit

Noob

3:50 into the video, EX Iceball does damage, either by itself or maybe it absorbs the damage of the projectile it goes through. Regular Iceball still deals 0 damage, but I found it surprising when they KOes and opponent with EX Iceball alone... maybe the damage is there so you can trigger a brutallity?

Imperium

Noob

3:50 into the video, EX Iceball does damage, either by itself or maybe it absorbs the damage of the projectile it goes through. Regular Iceball still deals 0 damage, but I found it surprising when they KOes and opponent with EX Iceball alone... maybe the damage is there so you can trigger a brutallity?
Yeah I've noticed that too. I believe I've seen the ex ice ball itself do damage, not just if it passes through a projectile, but I wouldn't stake my life on it. Maybe the flat damage is just the substitute to MKX where the ex ice ball just reduced damage scaling on the following combo.

Also one other thing I noticed, and I'm sure it doesn't mean anything....

Ketchup and Mustard said that Subzero's F23 (overhead, mid, overhead) string was cancelable after the first hit, the first overhead. However in the reveal trailer, the string is cancelable after 2 hits, as he goes into an ex cold shoulder right before the second overhead.

Now, if that were actually cancelable after 2 hits, it gives subzero a second 50/50 in that string. He can either end the string with an overhead, or he cancel into a low. It would definitely be a welcome wrinkle to his mixup game, but I think Ketchup and Mustard were probably playing a newer build than the one used for the trailer. So I doubt any of this matters.

Let’s hope SZ is viable competitively. I’m OK with a smaller more balanced roster. Raidens new video from K&M makes him seem scary good.

Lokheit

Noob
Sub-Zero stuff from the Kombat Kast:

- His intro from the Kabal trailer is awesome in a bottle.

- They show the Air Polar Axe in the "washed up pros" battle! It's more or less like I expected, I need to recheck if it's shown to be overhead, this was probably the custom move I was the most excited about. EDIT: It looks like Kabal blocks one while ducking on their fight... bummer!!

- In the Tyler vs Derek last fight, it's shown multiple times that Sub-Zero's slide, at any point of the anymation, gets hit by Mid attacks this time around like I was fearing with his animation looking more like Reptile's than his old MKX Slide that could go under Mids. This is a big conceptual nerf to slide as it's no longer as great at maneuvering as it used to be. If it still ducked small Mids I would never use Kold Shoulder charge as it gets replaced, now I can see situations where you want to spend a skill point for the switch.

Last edited:
Sub-Zero stuff from the Kombat Kast:

- His intro from the Kabal trailer is awesome in a bottle.

- They show the Air Polar Axe in the "washed up pros" battle! It's more or less like I expected, I need to recheck if it's shown to be overhead, this was probably the custom move I was the most excited about. EDIT: It looks like Kabal blocks one while ducking on their fight... bummer!!

- In the Tyler vs Derek last fight, it's shown multiple times that Sub-Zero's slide, at any point of the anymation, gets hit by Mid attacks this time around like I was fearing with his animation looking more like Reptile's than his old MKX Slide that could go under Mids. This is a big conceptual nerf to slide as it's no longer as great at maneuvering as it used to be. If it still ducked small Mids I would never use Kold Shoulder charge as it gets replaced, now I can see situations where you want to spend a skill point for the switch.
Well, for right now at least, air polar axe seems like a pretty good move to spend a point on just because it gives added utility and zoning options. Seems like a better choice than frigid storm anyways, which seems to be pretty useless (low dmg, super long startup, no real utility). And I also hope they touch up cicle barrage, because it seems its main use is for chip damage, buy it's also super punishable on block at the same time.

Right now to me, kreeping ice seems amazing, almost like a must pick. Deep freeze would be good too, but 2 slots is a lot to ask for.

I feel like kreeping ice and deep freeze will be his main variation. Rather bland.
For sure. I think his other options need a bit of tweaking still, because there doesn't seem to be much reason to use them over his standard options. Meanwhile, amplified kreeping ice is a safe, high damage low to mix into your strings, and deep freeze wins you every zoning war and is the only way to full combo off of his overhead.

Lokheit

Noob
For sure. I think his other options need a bit of tweaking still, because there doesn't seem to be much reason to use them over his standard options. Meanwhile, amplified kreeping ice is a safe, high damage low to mix into your strings, and deep freeze wins you every zoning war and is the only way to full combo off of his overhead.
Are we sure Kreeping Ice is low? I thought it was a Mid (kind of like the Cyber Sub Tri-Borg version of the move).

Anyway, Kold Shoulder, if it's safe, after knowing that Slide no longer ducks Mid projectiles, might be a good option. The damage on the enhanced version is brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.