What's new

Sub-Zero General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Seems ice puddle is in...

and "Frigid Storm" looks interesting.

But I have a feeling these won't be in the "default" variations and won't be tournament available. Hopefully they are!
Ice puddle is in, but as a gear move. It'd kill if they added this as the base power.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Well, I've been seeing people say the tournament standard will be the default variations only. So, if all the specials are covered in the base variations, we should be good to go if we wanna use puddle or shoulder charge or frigid storm.
If all moves are in base variations, like in MKX, then it's kool. If not, then, NRS, it's your tomb time.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
So I just saw a video where I could see 2 of the variations. Thing is, I'm not sure if these are the "base" variations or custom ones.

1. Winter Games - which has Kreeping Ice and Deep Freeze.
2. Frozen AF - which has Rising Ice and Kold Shoulder.

And they both only have 2 abilities equipped when there are 3 slots. So... I really don't know what to think.

But in that same video you can read what the specials do:

Kreeping Ice: Sub Zero stomps on the fightline causing ice spikes to rise from the ground. Amplify does additional damage.
Ground Ice: Sub Zero creates a hazardous area on the fightline that can freeze the opponent. Amplify causes Ground Ice to travel further down the line.
Kold Shoulder: Sub Zero gains the ability to charge the opponent. Amplify increases damage.
Rising Ice: Sub Zero leaps upward while being protected by ice spikes. Amplify makes Sub recover faster.
Frigid Storm: Sub Zero freezes the air around him creating a large ice construct that he pushes toward his opponent. (Doesn't look like it has an Amplify property. Reminds me of Captain Cold's ice block that he kicks.)
Death Cicle Barrage: Launch a barrage of deadly ice shards at the opponent. No Amplify
(Air) Polar Axe: Gains the ability to throw Ice Axes downward at the opponent. No Amplify
Artic Trap: Can create a powerful orb of ice that will freeze the opponent if they get too close. No Amplify
Deep Freeze: Amplifies Sub Zero's Ice ball. Amplified Ice Ball absorbs other projectiles.

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
Link to Video:
The odd thing here is that Kold Shoulder doesn't replace Slide (the command is different and it never states that it does), but on some video Subbie only got the Iceball and Kold Shoulder listed as special moves.

EDIT: I might be mixing in my head the PS4 X and the X-Box X. They might share inputs (in which case I think the move shouldn't count as a special move slot as you're removing another useful one rather than enhancing it).

Last edited:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
See that's the thing. I have a bad feeling that the base variations are only going to include a couple specials and the others are how you make your "custom" variations meaning... sub is gonna be fun af to use... OUT of tournament and competitive play.

I really hope that's not the case.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
To me, the most intriguing sounding ones are Rising Ice, Frigid Storm, and Artic Trap. All very defensive type moves. Trap could possibly be a replacer for clone setups depending on frames and such.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
It's been forever since I posted here.

I like that him and the other Asians actually look Asian again.

The animations look more like an actual martial artist came up with the moves. No more quarterback kungfu. I think I remember seeing something about Daniel Pesina doing mocap work for the game. His stance kinda reminds me of Kenshi's tai chi stance from MKDA MKD.

No Klone will be interesting but won't hold me back. Someone however got quite a few call-outs during the streams about the Klone.......

I wonder if with the whole timeline and alternate versions of characters is this Bi-Han? He doesn't have Klone, he got back Ice Puddle, I didn't notice his scar, he seems to have some sort of Sub-Saibot moves.

Lokheit

Noob
It's been forever since I posted here.

I like that him and the other Asians actually look Asian again.

The animations look more like an actual martial artist came up with the moves. No more quarterback kungfu. I think I remember seeing something about Daniel Pesina doing mocap work for the game. His stance kinda reminds me of Kenshi's tai chi stance from MKDA MKD.

No Klone will be interesting but won't hold me back. Someone however got quite a few call-outs during the streams about the Klone.......

I wonder if with the whole timeline and alternate versions of characters is this Bi-Han? He doesn't have Klone, he got back Ice Puddle, I didn't notice his scar, he seems to have some sort of Sub-Saibot moves.
He has the scar, you can see it in closeups or the select screen. His dialogues with Scorpion also mean he is Kuai Liang who made peace with him.

See that's the thing. I have a bad feeling that the base variations are only going to include a couple specials and the others are how you make your "custom" variations meaning... sub is gonna be fun af to use... OUT of tournament and competitive play.

I really hope that's not the case.
sorry for not linking but its in another thread in TYM. Boon absolutely states that the 3 "tournament" variations at launch will cover all of the possible special moves. However the special move combinations will depend on the standard variations, we just havent seen the puddle variation and for tournaments it may not be loaded up with the shoulder. So yes and no, we should have access to all of the special moves but not all at once as its variation dependent. So unlike IJ2 where we had to unlock special movies but they werent tournament viable anyways (I ignored them for this reason).

sorry for not linking but its in another thread in TYM. Boon absolutely states that the 3 "tournament" variations at launch will cover all of the possible special moves. However the special move combinations will depend on the standard variations, we just havent seen the puddle variation and for tournaments it may not be loaded up with the shoulder. So yes and no, we should have access to all of the special moves but not all at once as its variation dependent. So unlike IJ2 where we had to unlock special movies but they werent tournament viable anyways (I ignored them for this reason).
here is the link to the article ... https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/01/17/ed-boon-talks-mortal-kombat-11s-variations-changes-and-roster

it states ...

Across those three [base variations] – that will be the character’s entire moveset?

Yeah. We don’t want to leave stuff out, so I imagine that’ll be the base three, and they’ll encompass all of what that character can possibly do.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
here is the link to the article ... https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/01/17/ed-boon-talks-mortal-kombat-11s-variations-changes-and-roster

it states ...

Across those three [base variations] – that will be the character’s entire moveset?

Yeah. We don’t want to leave stuff out, so I imagine that’ll be the base three, and they’ll encompass all of what that character can possibly do.
Would be great if you can select your moves after picking the character. Whatever amount of slots available.

Lokheit

Noob
Would be great if you can select your moves after picking the character. Whatever amount of slots available.
Yeah I was thinking something like this. The special moves window doesn't seem too hard to navigate so it could pop after selecting characters or using a button to open it.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Is there any footage or otherwise detail of the Arctic Trap move? I'm curious if it's more-or-less Ice Clone with different aesthetic that controls less static space. I see that it's three slots, implying it's powerful (like Clone).

So that means one of the three standard variations should be the classic Ice Ball, Slide, and Trap setup, right?

RagingRicans

NetBattles
Give Sub Zero’s Kold Shoulder the frame data of Blue Beetles bash please lol

I wonder which moves will be the best defensively?

Ice puddle, Arctic Trap and frigid storms all
sound awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.