What's new

Sub-Zero Neutral Game Discussion

I'm attempting to main Sub, and wanting to both share my thoughts on the neutral, and (mainly) get your thoughts.

For useless pressure there's obviously any string into the ice burst.

To force your opponent into making a decision, there's any string into the clone. You can then slide after this to try and hit them into the clone. But I find my opponents always back away when the clone is out, and I'm stuck trying to get in or zone with the slow ice ball.

What are you guys finding works well in general to play the neutral?

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
yea his d3 very good alright

forward walk speed is very good,
backwards walkspeed is dogshite (made me think of inj1 scorp straight away lol)
his forward dash/back dash alright. his mb roll activates fairly sharpish though

Shady1692

I'm The Goddamn Batman!
yea his d3 very good alright

forward walk speed is very good,
backwards walkspeed is dogshite (made me think of inj1 scorp straight away lol)
his forward dash/back dash alright. his mb roll activates fairly sharpish though
Tbh i love sub as a character will always play him no matter what. But so far im noticing the easy counter picks are superman, adam and aquman winning about 7-3. I know you'll say its too early but i already feel like us sub players from mkx have a hang of him and his 33 string isnt as good as i thought it would be. Both hits are mid but you can somehow duck the last hit??? Dont know if im missing something but his corner pressure also is not as strong as i hoped (i know this is a neutral game post) and most of the time you need to walk in to go for his low so you get poked alot im just thinking this game wasnt made for sub zero lol. Deadshot is a 7-3 as well

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
But so far im noticing the easy counter picks are superman, adam and aquman winning about 7-3. I know you'll say its too early but i already feel like us sub players from mkx have a hang of him (...)
Handing out 7-3s matchups after two days is much too early. Also as Tom Brady once said in one of his streams, Sub-Zero was always a trapper while MKX Sub-Zero was a mixup character. I don't think having a hang of MKX Sub-Zero means you'll know what his matchups will be like after such a short amount of time because:
- Shatter combos and refreeze combos either no longer work or work differently than in MKX.
- He no longer has a true 50/50 with B2 gone.
- Clone doesn't seem to last as long as it did in MKX.
- MKX had relatively weak zoning and keepaway options compared to Injustice 2.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
The ability to duck the grab coupled with poopy OH options is a tremendous problem right now. Along with a TON of stuff going through the clone and the clones hitbox being.. conservative.

It's obviously SUPER early, so crying doom is def wrong, but I will say I dont CURRENTLY see a strong game plan. I do think we're stuck in MKX Sub mode, I know I am.. It colors my decisions and thought process.. and this just isnt MKX Sub.

We're always going to get wins against impatient angsty jumpers and such, but against a patient player who knows to crouch block and essentially nothing else, we need to figure some stuff out.

I REALLY hope we arent designed around slow-dancing someone to the corner before the character becomes strong. Long stages, pushblock, MB roll, interactables, yadda yadda, all make cornering people in Inj a lot harder than in MKX.. Especially with slide side switching.. this downright hurts my heart. I'm not saying we are mind you, just that I hope we are not.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Tea bag them?. Cause I put My Captain Cold A.I against Sub Zero and he walked into the ice Clone and blocked the Ice Clone to make It disappear.LMAO.
Yeah there's a vid of catwoman doing the same thing over in the "ice clone not functioning correctly" thread. I'm not sure if she was AI controlled or not. Maybe there's like a 1 frame window where you can block the clone before it freezes you? Would still be dumb though.

I struggled mightily against Green Arrow I couldn't even get close and slide kept getting hit by ALL of his arrows...lol Man, after one match I quickly switched to Canary.

D. R.

Noob
His corner so far seems INCREDIBLE. Outside of that, he's mediocre. He's gonna be heavy on wall carry combos. Sucks that slide always switches sides. Anyways from the middle of Supes stage this combo carries to the corner depending on the starter:

Starter xx iceMB, b3, j3, b2, 1, b233, dash

When used in a combo, b233 doesn't let the opponent roll ala Red Hood's 323 so you can dash up freely and close the gap.

Shady1692

I'm The Goddamn Batman!
His corner game is strong if you end it with 113 insta air clone so then 113 is a legit freeze mixup along with 111 Mb iceball but other than that he really has no great corner game against a good counter poker and good anti airs.

His corner game is strong if you end it with 113 insta air clone so then 113 is a legit freeze mixup along with 111 Mb iceball but other than that he really has no great corner game against a good counter poker and good anti airs.
Replace jumping in with f3 and boom corner game stronk again.