What's new

Strategy Sub-Zero Matchup Discussion Thread

coolwhip

Noob
Tech the command grab? So if you're low-blocking, just hit grab and you can get away from it? Punishing the net only works if I predict it. And interesting, I won't block low on Cyrax anymore. It's a habit. After command grab, they usually jump in punch.

I can only punish Flamethrower from closer range.F ull-range flamethrower and immediate slide he can block it.

I've never read frame data before. Ever. I might look into it. All my experience has come from feel.
To be clear, I doubt Qwark28 is suggesting you should never block low against Cyrax, because that would be a good way to eat one of the best D4's in the game, which leaves him at a ridiculous advantage.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
What is this that I am seeing?! Activity on the Sub-Zero forums?! What's happening to this world?!

coolwhip

Noob
Ok ppl, Kunt Lao's MU. I need tips.
I feel I have to spam D4 against him since it gets me out of his strings. Also this might sound silly but i do uppercuts all the way to punish his teleports, its easy to do on read or reaction and i land it fairly well. But I dont feel uppercuts are enough, whats the best way to punish KL's teleports?
Dash back, whiff punish with 212 freeze while he's still in the air (after he whiffs the 3).

Hey! Maybe a silly or a stupid question, but I've been dying to know how tom brady, and probably some other sub zero players, manages to make those special forms of clones. I know about wakeup clones blablabla, but I just cannot ever make that one with legs open. It seems he can do it from canceling a dash or something similar, but I haven't been able to figure it out by myself, and I'm playing sub for quite some time now.

I really hope you understand what I mean by that and someone would be able to advise.

Dedamn666

Big Poppa Pump
Hey! Maybe a silly or a stupid question, but I've been dying to know how tom brady, and probably some other sub zero players, manages to make those special forms of clones. I know about wakeup clones blablabla, but I just cannot ever make that one with legs open. It seems he can do it from canceling a dash or something similar, but I haven't been able to figure it out by myself, and I'm playing sub for quite some time now.

I really hope you understand what I mean by that and someone would be able to advise.
are you talking of d+4 ice clone?

Lou Kang

Noob
im pretty sure hes just talking about throwing out the clone mid dash.....looks as if subs about to do the splits....just input dash then input clone like immediately

im pretty sure hes just talking about throwing out the clone mid dash.....looks as if subs about to do the splits....just input dash then input clone like immediately
Yeah I'm talking about this probably. I think I'm too slow probably cause I've never managed to get it out and I've tryed several times.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Didn't know where to place this so I'll place it here.For anyone that still plays MK9 and still plays Sub-Zero do you ever use/practice Sub-Zero's X-ray dash cancel to get that extra chip on block or to shock and surprise your opponent into pressing a button?

Didn't know where to place this so I'll place it here.For anyone that still plays MK9 and still plays Sub-Zero do you ever use/practice Sub-Zero's X-ray dash cancel to get that extra chip on block or to shock and surprise your opponent into pressing a button?
Yep I do I usually pop a clone immediately after on block so if they chase me they get caught it works alot lol

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I just use it to end the match by dash canceling then grab because it's super swag (Like DJT at MLG)

3Lifts

Noob
how do i beat noob saibot? trading fireballs doesnt work, because then i have to shoot my iceball first and he can punish it on reaction with teleport. upclose i cant jump because of upknee, and if i dont jump he gets me with shadow charge/slide or he starts his pressure game. this feels like a 9-1 matchup for me. :(

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
how do i beat noob saibot? trading fireballs doesnt work, because then i have to shoot my iceball first and he can punish it on reaction with teleport. upclose i cant jump because of upknee, and if i dont jump he gets me with shadow charge/slide or he starts his pressure game. this feels like a 9-1 matchup for me. :(
D4 err day baby (vs relentless upknee). Keep him in jumping distance and you can trade projectiles. Noob had TERRIBLE options in yhe corner so once you get him there iy is pretty easy to pound him.

3Lifts

Noob
sorry for the stupid questions, im new to this game, but what are my options after i hit my opponent with a d4 while hes standing? is then a 2,1 blockstring guaranteed, even if the d4 hit from max range?

and also, how can i do d4~clone? tried it yesterday, but coudnt get it.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
sorry for the stupid questions, im new to this game, but what are my options after i hit my opponent with a d4 while hes standing? is then a 2,1 blockstring guaranteed, even if the d4 hit from max range?

and also, how can i do d4~clone? tried it yesterday, but coudnt get it.
the 21 can always be armoured, if you hit it max range then you don't get anything guaranteed other than another d4 which can also be armoured.

do d4 db1

Rome

Noob
actually the right input is d4b1 ...the cancel from d4 to iceclone works only on hit or guard.

and if i remember right, d4 is just a poke for interrupting or for use after blockstrings. There is nothing guaranted after it, cos there is no link-combo system like in SF for example. U can only combo it with a juggle

coolwhip

Noob
Throw iceballs after you knock him down, especially in the corner. If he wakes up with anything other than teleport, he's screwed (trade is in your favor). And even with the teleport, the risk/reward is in your favor. Condition him to respect that and you can start pressuring on knockdown.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
actually the right input is d4b1 ...the cancel from d4 to iceclone works only on hit or guard.

and if i remember right, d4 is just a poke for interrupting or for use after blockstrings. There is nothing guaranted after it, cos there is no link-combo system like in SF for example. U can only combo it with a juggle
His d4 is +8 on hit standing iirc. So aside from armor he gets a free 2, 1. Pokes in MK are used for way more than just interupting strings.

Rome

Noob
His d4 is +8 on hit standing iirc. So aside from armor he gets a free 2, 1. Pokes in MK are used for way more than just interupting strings.
its +8 ?? XD
okay, nice thing, then it seems u r right. Did'nt play the game since... 2 years or so but thats no excuse or so, haha!

..but, since when its +8? never noticed that in my mk9 time... has MK9 counterhits or something like that? XD ( i doubt it, lol )

ok but anyway, nice thing.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
its +8 ?? XD
okay, nice thing, then it seems u r right. Did'nt play the game since... 2 years or so but thats no excuse or so, haha!

..but, since when its +8? never noticed that in my mk9 time... has MK9 counterhits or something like that? XD ( i doubt it, lol )

ok but anyway, nice thing.
its been +8 since always. frame data.

What armor you guys talking about here? Isn't the term armor only used in connection with ex specials? Sry I'm not a very experienced fighter I wanna know about that term...

Or can the term be used just to express your advantage and chance for pressure?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What armor you guys talking about here? Isn't the term armor only used in connection with ex specials? Sry I'm not a very experienced fighter I wanna know about that term...

Or can the term be used just to express your advantage and chance for pressure?
Armour is when an enhanced special move absorb x amount of hits and still is active.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Ok Sub mains... I think I've asked before, but I need help vs Skarlet. So dust off the ol MK9 knowledge and help a fellow lin kuei out!

Punishes are what I need help on. Basically all I have in the way of a strategy in this matchup is to go ham when she has no meter and try my best to stay out of range when she does.

Anyway, the questions:

1. When you block her slide... what should sub respond with? I've tried 22 but the first 2 whiffs. Tried D2 & D4 and the best I get there is a poke that gets blocked and counterpoked. Part 2 of this question is... what do you do when you block the slide and she does an instant down dagger? Down dagger is apparently negative on block but I've never been able to standing 2 or standing 1 her after it...

2. Whereabouts do you want to try to stay in this MU? Just outside jump distance? fullscreen? Clone useful at all? Doesn't feel like it haha

Would appreciate the help. Thanks.

And if you want examples of my fail... go here: twitch.tv/johnny2d and watch the STB Koth from 11-15-14

@Tom Brady
@Denzell
@Braindead
@knoterror
@NRF CharlieMurphy
@BeefSupreme
@xQUANTUMx
@Qwark28
@Seapeople

@ any other sub mains