What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Sub-Zero General Discussion

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Guys, we'll be opening this tonight at midnight when we close the older thread -- get ready! And best of luck to all the Lin Kuei.

Lokheit

Noob
Hi, I'm new to this community but a long time reader.

First, late thanks for all the helpful info here that I used during MK9 days, it was awesome as a Sub-Zero main to see some of the best and deepest guides were of this character.

My game just installed on Steam and I'm going to jump into practice mode a lot, but I would like to ask for some advice after reading the guides already posted here, as for what I've read this Sub-Zero is quite different from the MK9 one:

- What's the closest thing to the MK9 2,2 chain here? From the first moment I was looking forward to Cryomancer Sub-Zero as I was never really good at setting up the clone (just the ocasional 224+clone for safety or jump back + clone which you can't do anymore) but I became skilled at making good reads starting with that chain and then quickly reacting to the opponent response or trying to surprise him, but it looks like Cryomancer doesn't really have something like that. There is a similar sword chain but I'm not seeing too many comments about its use. Just that only fast specials punish it, but I'm not seeing too many options for cancel ramifications.

- Is there a tool to use against awkward freeze positions like MK9 "whiff first hit" chain?

- I'm reading that the hammer air drop is hard to punish. It's advisable to throw some drops every now and then to try catch your opponent off-guard Mario style?

I'm still deciding which will be my goto variation, it's looking like Cryomancer is lacking a real identity but I'm also not good enough with the clone, and I use to have a hard time reacting to wake ups, so the ability to finish combos with a standing opponent could be a good thing for me (plus, even if it's not a factor for gameplay, I really like the ice arms and kori weapons). Will try all of them and see which one fits better with my playstyle, but I got the impression I will play in a different way than in MK9.

Looking forward to see the potential of Sub-Zero in this game :)

Last edited:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
So
midscreen

How are we opening people up for legit damage?
I really wish they would of given Unbreakable a command grab.

Edit: I've held off on getting my free Goro to flesh out SZ with you all.

TPH GUNSHOT

Grind to Win
I need to go through the cast. but did you guys notice that b33+ Iceball combos midscreen but doesn't against scorpion? its character specific. I'm about to list all the charaters that it works on.
Edit: It works on all the female characters so far

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
So
midscreen

How are we opening people up for legit damage?
I really wish they would of given Unbreakable a command grab.

Edit: I've held off on getting my free Goro to flesh out SZ with you all.

I am still working on that myself. I have been playing in GM, and working with his 50/50, but I am having issues with it midscreen. Mainly with b2. While b2 is way easier to hit with mid screen after landing a d3 or d4(Which is kinda what I have been playing with for cursory pressure since they're +17 on hit), getting a follow up is kinda rough for me right now. I think the best I have done is b2 run cancel 123 slide. But there's gotta be something better. What do my brethren have so far for mid screen b2 conversions?

Creepy00

Noob
I was wondering about that too, like I could sworn it works against other characters lol. You can do against scorpion if you are in the corner, same with 1,2, ice ball

TPH GUNSHOT

Grind to Win
I was wondering about that too, like I could sworn it works against other characters lol. You can do against scorpion if you are in the corner, same with 1,2, ice ball
It works on all the female characters midscreen, none of the male characters. It works on everyone in the corner though

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I am still working on that myself. I have been playing in GM, and working with his 50/50, but I am having issues with it midscreen. Mainly with b2. While b2 is way easier to hit with mid screen after landing a d3 or d4(Which is kinda what I have been playing with for cursory pressure since they're +17 on hit), getting a follow up is kinda rough for me right now. I think the best I have done is b2 run cancel 123 slide. But there's gotta be something better. What do my brethren have so far for mid screen b2 conversions?
try B2, Run, F42 Ex ice ball, njp ender

TPH GUNSHOT

Grind to Win
I've been using the same string as you. or if I would do b2, (run) f42 ice klone since it leave me close enough to harass them with d4 or b2 again. Or just bait them into trying to attack me and getting ice kloned.

I mained sub in mk9 before switching over to Johnny after a few months. When I did play sub I felt he got destroyed but teleporting and heavy rushdown characters. If I did play sub I'd want to use grand master variation. How strong are we seeing this variation being? Can sub be played aggressive with ice clone pressure int his variation and how is he doing against heavy rushdown and heavy zoners in this variation?

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Do you guys agree that Sub Zero's movement seems to be among the best in the game? mainly referring to his lateral movement on forward dash. Not sure if it is just because of the ice slide animation when he dashes, but it just seems better than many other characters.

Jeddite

Soul Kollector
Do you guys agree that Sub Zero's movement seems to be among the best in the game? mainly referring to his lateral movement on forward dash. Not sure if it is just because of the ice slide animation when he dashes, but it just seems better than many other characters.
I agree. Sub is slippery. His dashes look so similar to his attack that you can trick your opponent into low blocks and just body them for wrong guesses.

mgoss

Noob
My main was sub in MK9. His moves flowed really for me. However, in MKX, everything feels clunky. His bnb combos feel really awkward.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
How good are subzeros different variations at footsies relative to the rest of the cast?
Grandmaster will cover up for you if you have "weak" footsie
Ice clone is obnoxious in this game. I enjoy it.

I'm hoping to use Cryomancer a bit more... as I think that variation can really shine with good anti air and whiff punishing.