What's new

Sub-Zero Combo Thread | [Launch Edition]

I hate his corner combos in this mk. His d1 recovery is slow and can you only combo after b3,2 slide in the corner? With other starters i can connect a d1 but nothing afterwards. After b3,2 slide it is actually easier to hit s2 3x or at least 2x and it still does more dmg than doing 3 of his d1.

Oh, is it possible to connect two s2 into b1,4,3 slide after ice ball, jik4 at midscreen?

Con

Noob
Some quick questions from a noob ~

How exactly does the mix work? Can you only mix when you are plus on hit and not on knockdown? I notice sometimes after a knockdown in the corner if I go for a f2>exball in the wakeup, I get d1'ed or thrown by them, is this just bad timing?

Should I be wanting to go for the restands with b32 to continue mixing, or should I be just full comboing them whenever possible? Is this situational?

What string should I generally be punishing with?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Some quick questions from a noob ~

How exactly does the mix work? Can you only mix when you are plus on hit and not on knockdown? I notice sometimes after a knockdown in the corner if I go for a f2>exball in the wakeup, I get d1'ed or thrown by them, is this just bad timing?

Should I be wanting to go for the restands with b32 to continue mixing, or should I be just full comboing them whenever possible? Is this situational?

What string should I generally be punishing with?
There’s a lot to talk about here, and I don’t wanna take up a lot of room in the combo thread. Repost in the general thread and you’ll get a good answer there.

I hate his corner combos in this mk. His d1 recovery is slow and can you only combo after b3,2 slide in the corner? With other starters i can connect a d1 but nothing afterwards. After b3,2 slide it is actually easier to hit s2 3x or at least 2x and it still does more dmg than doing 3 of his d1.

Oh, is it possible to connect two s2 into b1,4,3 slide after ice ball, jik4 at midscreen?
B32 is just easier, but yeah it’s possible to combo off something like f2.

As for the midscreen combo, I’m not gonna say it’s impossible but it'd be really hard.

TOURNAMENT VARIATION COMBOS ONLY

Standard strings into Ice Ball (hits HIGH):

1,2 (HIGH, 8 Startup, short range but fastest)
Back+1,4 (HIGH, 14 Startup, slightly longer reach, main string)
2,1 (HIGH, 8 Startup, fast but stubby)
Back+2 (MID, 14 Startup, Knocks Up but Heavy Scaling)
3 (High, 13 Startup, Better range than 1 or 2)
Back+3,2 (LOW, 13 Startup)

Dead of Winter

/Midscreen Meterless/
[STARTER]xxIce Ball, FJ4, dash, B143xxCold Shoulder
Jump In, [STARTER]xxIce Ball, FJ4, dash, 124(KB)
[STARTER]xxIce Ball, FJ4 (Cross Over), 2, B143xxCold Shoulder
[STARTER]xxIce Ball, FJ4 (Cross Over), 2, 124(KB)

/Midscreen Metered/
you may amplify shoulder to make any midscreen meterless combo a more damaging 1-bar combo. In addition, F2 (overhead) can now combo into Ice Ball when amplified.

/Corner Meterless/
[STARTER]xxIce Ball, FJ4, 4, 2, 2, 21xxCold Shoulder
[STARTER]xxIce Ball, FJ4, 4, 2, 2, 124 (KB)

/Corner Metered/
you may amplify shoulder to make any corner meterless combo a more damaging 1-bar combo. In addition, F2 (overhead) can now combo into ice ball when amplified.

Thin Ice

/Midscreen Meterless/
[STARTER]xxIce Ball, FJ4, dash, B143xxSlide
Jump In [STARTER]xxIce Ball, FJ4, dash, 124(KB)
[STARTER]xxIce Ball, FJ4 (Cross Over), 2, B143xxSlide
[STARTER]xxIce Ball, FJ4 (Cross Over), 2, 124(KB)

/Midscreen Metered/
you may amplify slide to make any midscreen meterless combo a more damaging 1-bar combo

/Corner Meterless/
[STARTER]xxIce Ball, FJ2, B32xxSlide, 2, 2, 2, 21xxSlide
[STARTER]xxIce Ball, FJ4, 4, 2, 2, 124(KB)
F2xxSlide, D1, D1, D1xxSlide

/Corner Metered/
you may amplify slide to make any corner meterless combo a more damaging 1-bar combo

Anti-Air Combos

/Dead of Winter/
D2, D1xxCold Shoulder or EX Cold Shoulder
B2, B2xxIce Ball, FJK, 21xxCold Shoulder or EX Cold Shoulder
S2, B2xxIce Ball, FJK, 21xxCold Shoulder or EX Cold Shoulder
FJ1 (Air to Air), B32xxIce Ball, FJK, 21xxCold Shoulder or EX Cold Shoulder

/Thin Ice/
D2, D1xxSlide or EX Slide
B2, B2xxIce Ball, FJK, B143xxSlide or EX Slide
S2, B2xxIce Ball, FJK, B143xxSlide or EX Slide
FJ1 (Air to Air), B32xxIce Ball, FJK, B143xxSlide or EX Slide

Krushing Blow Combos

/Dead of Winter/
D2(KB), 2, B2xxIce Ball, FJ4, 124(KB)
D2(KB), 21xxIce Ball(EX), FJ4, 124(KB)
D2(KB), 2, B2xxIce Ball, FJ4, 21xxCold Shoulder(EX)
D2(KB), 21xxIce Ball(EX), FJ4, 21xxCold Shoulder (EX)

/Thin Ice/
D2(KB), 2, B2xxIce Ball, FJ4, 124(KB)
D2(KB), 2, B2xxIce Ball, FJ4, B143xxSlide
D2(KB), 2, B2xxIce Ball, FJ4, B143xxSlide(EX)
D2(KB), 2, B2xxIce Ball, FJ4, B143xxSlide(EX)(KB)
what is the timing for the conrner combo where you JI 4 into 4

Lokheit

Noob
Come on NRS, let Rising Ice into the kompetitive scene already (either new preset or allow kustoms). Today I just discovered a bunch of new midscreen and corner routes dealing a big chunk of extra damage with it and I'm super excited, but they're only allowed on towers and kasual U.U

This sheit looks so flashy and creative compared with boring SZ vanilla combios...

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
@Eldriken can you sticky this thread?

And these two as well:

E

Eldriken

@Eldriken can you sticky this thread?

And these two as well:
Done, done and done.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Is it time? People are flawless blocking more now so we can update the op with f.block combos??? @Samsara
I'm going to see if I can transfer thread ownership to you. I'm not coming back to this game until Shang/balance patch. Sub just isn't for me.

If you just need me to edit some in I'll go for it though.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I'm going to see if I can transfer thread ownership to you. I'm not coming back to this game until Shang/balance patch. Sub just isn't for me.

If you just need me to edit some in I'll go for it though.
Prepare for the most irresponsible thread ownership you’ve ever seen. I will rule with an iron fist.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Prepare for the most irresponsible thread ownership you’ve ever seen. I will rule with an iron fist.
Looks like I'll stay in charge, since we cant transfer ownership. DM me or tag me with the routes you want and I'll update them.

We're looking for FB U+2 launches correct? I'll start labbing tomorrow.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Yeah, I was messing with the Kitana MU and got caught up in the combo vortex, found some new routes. I’ll post ‘em here when I have them sorted out.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Yeah, I was messing with the Kitana MU and got caught up in the combo vortex, found some new routes. I’ll post ‘em here when I have them sorted out.
Cool. It's not that I'm lazy or anything, I'm just not having fun. But I can keep OP up to date no problem.

But its good you guys are dedicated. Like I said I'll lab tomorrow and keep my eyes peeled for updates.

hi , I started using sz 3 days ago, and I have a problem on doing this combo starter, df1, cross up jk, 2 b143 slide. my problem is the opponent's body will drop early after s2, make the b143 didn't connect, or only the first hit of b143 that can connect (if that make sense) any tips on doing this combo? i also struggle to get the cross up jk sometimes (i think i have problem with the spacing). Thanks

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
hi , I started using sz 3 days ago, and I have a problem on doing this combo starter, df1, cross up jk, 2 b143 slide. my problem is the opponent's body will drop early after s2, make the b143 didn't connect, or only the first hit of b143 that can connect (if that make sense) any tips on doing this combo? i also struggle to get the cross up jk sometimes (i think i have problem with the spacing). Thanks
I think you're thinking of his 124 KB midscreen combo, in which case after the s2 you do a little dash into 124 KB.

For the b143 BnB, it's just starter>ice ball>jik>dash>b143>slide.

As for spacing so the jump kick doesn't send them flying out of reach of your s2, it can be weird since the spacing is different depending on your starter. I usually forward dash after the ice ball so that I'm right up against them, and then take a step back before going for the cross up jump kick.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Probably not the best advice here since you lose a couple %, but I find the timing on the following combo MUCH more lenient than the b143:

DF1, CrossUp4, 2, 21, BF3

and the second hit of the 21 string seems to keep the stalled in the air a bit more making slide whiff less.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer

Idk who makes these, but I bet he’s handsome.