What's new

Question - Sub-Zero Sub Zero against Kenshi zoning

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
In that matchup you must be very patient. Try to close up to Kenshi with block. You can also punish his tele attakcs with slide. When you will get him close Kenshi can only escape with armor. Well that matchup is hard but now immposible.

llabslb

R1D1_998
In that matchup you must be very patient. Try to close up to Kenshi with block. You can also punish his tele attakcs with slide. When you will get him close Kenshi can only escape with armor. Well that matchup is hard but now immposible.
If he were to bait that slide or simply block it, RIP

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
What are we looking at as far as Kenshi's optimal punish after he blocks a slide? With present info in mind, are we going to see Kenshi going for max damage or screen push?

llabslb

R1D1_998
What are we looking at as far as Kenshi's optimal punish after he blocks a slide? With present info in mind, are we going to see Kenshi going for max damage or screen push?
To keep it simple, he'll be able to land about 25-30% and send you flying to other side of screen. Which is why the slide has so much risk generally speaking and especially with Kenshi.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Can you elaborate on that @Pig Of The Hut? 6/4 Kenshi or Sub Zero? Variation preference? I'd like to hear it from a Kenshi authority, not to mention I'm a fan of your commentary.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
It's not as bad as mk9 days. Sub can fight all the kenshi variations. Slide is so much better now. Used correctly and it keeps kenshi thinking on how he needs to zone.

I haven't explored in a while since I've been playing kl

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Are you counting the times people predict it and then still get punished because it's 9 frames? :p

Seriously though, the times SZ should use slide aren't the times you should be able to do something about it. And Sub shouldn't slide unless it's a sure punish ie point blank push or mid to close flurry.

It's hit or miss seems irrelevant assuming we're talking about top level play.

I haven't met any very skilled Balance Kenshis but with the ones I have fought I was basically mixing slides with jumps into combo. One thing is certain you need to be patient. Condition opponent to throw his Flurry and Charge (which btw beats slide) and when you get into range just jump in and do combo. Most of the times Kenshi will be trying to spam his spirit attacks and that's where he will whiff and get punished. Another thing I like to do is to keep jumping into his direction avoiding all the flurries and charges and right before I am in a range for his upsword attack I slide. This works pretty well against mediocre players but I assume some patient player who know limitations of Sub Zero won't be spamming attacks and will only use them as a reaction to what you do. In that case it is a big mind game and you need to grind your way step by step.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
I haven't met any very skilled Balance Kenshis but with the ones I have fought I was basically mixing slides with jumps into combo. One thing is certain you need to be patient. Condition opponent to throw his Flurry and Charge (which btw beats slide) and when you get into range just jump in and do combo. Most of the times Kenshi will be trying to spam his spirit attacks and that's where he will whiff and get punished. Another thing I like to do is to keep jumping into his direction avoiding all the flurries and charges and right before I am in a range for his upsword attack I slide. This works pretty well against mediocre players but I assume some patient player who know limitations of Sub Zero won't be spamming attacks and will only use them as a reaction to what you do. In that case it is a big mind game and you need to grind your way step by step.
Are these kenshis from ranked? That sounds like a kenshi from ranked.

No, these are Kenshis from online games. Just some random guys I played in room. Like I said they weren't top class Kenshis but mediocre. I'm guessing they didn't know the MU vs Sub.

Last edited:

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
No, these are Kenshis from online games. Just some random guys I played in room. Like I said they weren't top class Kenshis but mediocre. I'm guessing they didn't know the MU vs Sub.
They didn't. You can be patient and react to a lot of what sub does. Idk a lot of video of the matchup at a high level except for pig vs killstreak esl but that video is also from before sub got worse and kenshi got better.

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
More than moves the PATIENT IS SO IMPORTANT. If you will try to get close very fast Kenshi will zone you to death. F42 move is very useful. It has amazing range.