What's new

Match-up Discussion Stryker Matchup Discussion Thread

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
yes she can delay the sai and do it so close to the ground that it hits you while crouching. The good thing is the delay is in your advantage because the stun from the second kick will wear off and make it even easier for you to land the D1. Good news is that if you let go of block and stay crouching the sai will whiff.

another question can any give me the rundown on the johnny cage match up?

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
another question can any give me the rundown on the johnny cage match up?
I think I will leave this one to Mikemetroid or @paypal. I have yet to find a good strategy against cage. I try to zone him a lot and save at least one bar of meet for EN roll toss when he gets in to send him away (although he can use a bar to close the gap with EN shadow kick :( ). I think there is a guide on how to beat Cage

http://testyourmight.com/threads/how-to-fight-against-cage-offense-and-frames-breakdown.15479/

I remember reading a nice write up on how to beat cage a well a while back, unfortunately I cant find it

Espio

Kokomo
Playpal just to help.

I fight Cage with a mixture of rushdown and zoning, Stryker's tools aren't keeping Cage out for long, unless you're like full screen, grenades will whiff on duck blocking Cage. Gun shot is good, but easy to avoid.

I usually do gun cancels into a jip or into 1,1, roll toss or 1,2 gun shot. If I land a jump in punch, sometimes I throw Cage into the corner and then proceed to calmly walk away...like I don't care about the situation.

Also don't jump to escape pressure, he's hoping you do so he can back 3 you into a full combo punish and reset or a flip kick or a standing 1 anti-air. Try using your fast normals and pokes to get out of pressure or backing up, jumping is too risky against a good Cage.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
Playpal just to help.

I fight Cage with a mixture of rushdown and zoning, Stryker's tools aren't keeping Cage out for long, unless you're like full screen, grenades will whiff on duck blocking Cage. Gun shot is good, but easy to avoid.

I usually do gun cancels into a jip or into 1,1, roll toss or 1,2 gun shot. If I land a jump in punch, sometimes I throw Cage into the corner and then proceed to calmly walk away.

Also don't jump to escape pressure, he's hoping you do so he can back 3 you into a full combo punish and reset or a flip kick or a standing 1 anti-air. Try using your fast normals and pokes to get out of pressure or backing up, jumping is too risky against a good Cage.
ok thanks man i find my self running it to a lot of cages lately and almost as many keep away type smoke players

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
I think I will leave this one to Mikemetroid or @paypal. I have yet to find a good strategy against cage. I try to zone him a lot and save at least one bar of meet for EN roll toss when he gets in to send him away (although he can use a bar to close the gap with EN shadow kick :( ). I think there is a guide on how to beat Cage

http://testyourmight.com/threads/how-to-fight-against-cage-offense-and-frames-breakdown.15479/

I remember reading a nice write up on how to beat cage a well a while back, unfortunately I cant find it
thx for this man ill watch it when i get home

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
I decided to do a match up chart of my own for Stryker, just for kicks. I don't expect anyone to take stock of my opinion, but just some of my thoughts.

5.5-4.5 vs Baraka
5-5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
4-6 vs Cyrax
4-6 vs Ermac
4-6 vs Freddy Krueger
5-5 vs Jade
5-5 vs Jax
4-6 vs Johnny Cage
4.5-5.5 vs Kabal
6-4 vs Kano
5-5 vs Kenshi
5-5 vs Kitana
4-6 vs Kung Lao
4-6 vs Liu Kang
5-5 vs Mileena
5-5 vs Nightwolf
4.5-5.5 vs Noob Saibot
5-5 vs Quan Chi
5-5 vs Raiden
5-5 vs Rain
4-6 vs Reptile
5-5 vs Scorpion
4.5-5.5 vs Sektor
5-5 vs Shang Tsung
5-5 vs Sheeva
4-6 vs Sindel
5-5 vs Skarlet
5-5 vs Smoke
4-6 vs Sonya Blade
4-6 vs Sub-Zero

I don't think there's anything worse than 6-4 for Stryker and I think overall, Stryker goes even with most, has a few matches in his favor and has a couple bad match ups. He's definitely viable for tournaments imo.

i disgree with 5-5 for sheeva purly for the fact that all sheeva has going for this match-up is her in close armor moves, roll out and gunshot is sheeva's pain in the ass due to the fact both can punish fireballs on reaction, roll out can evade tele stomp and in some cases when EN (its rare to happen) can cancel her armored grabs. i'd say 6-4 in strykers favor

Espio

Kokomo
i disgree with 5-5 for sheeva purly for the fact that all sheeva has going for this match-up is her in close armor moves, roll out and gunshot is sheeva's pain in the ass due to the fact both can punish fireballs on reaction, roll out can evade tele stomp and in some cases when EN (its rare to happen) can cancel her armored grabs. i'd say 6-4 in strykers favor

That's just not true, Sheeva has way more than armor moves going for her. That's an oversimplification of the character, Stryker checks Sheeva and Sheeva checks Stryker.

If Sheeva's throwing out random fireballs and trying to zone him, she's not fighting Stryker right. This is like spending the fight trying to zone Smoke or Raiden, it's asking for trouble and it's not how you fight the character. That's a non-issue really.

Also, unless the Sheeva player is being really predictable, you're not going to be roll tossing out of telestomp on reaction. The odds of doing an enhanced move at the exact same time as another player are very slim(as you said above), it wouldn't make a match up move from even to bad. Do you want to know why? If anyone does armor at the same time as another character, it will cancel out both moves..

Sheeva can punish any grenade tosses with a telestomp, which gets her in and up close, they're pretty much equally slow/fast in terms of speed. Stryker isn't going to be running cirlces around Sheeva up close, especially with that armor of hers.

They can both counterzone each other, Sheeva with telestomp and Stryker with roll toss.

Gun cancels can evade stomps and gunshots can sometimes punish predictable telestomps, but if people get predictable, you can punish everything.

Her 2,1,2,f1 grab n punch can set up a throw attempt, fireball etc. if she hits you with it crouching, it jails and she gets to low grab you and get a 40+% combo. Her mix ups are of similar speed to Stryker as well as her damage and overall normals.

This also doesn't take into account that Sheeva can steer her landing spot for her telestomp, meaning she can land behind Stryker, on top of him or in front of him, opening up greater set ups and mix up potential, not to mention it's an unblockable. The mind games of Quan Chi's stomp, but not full combo punishable on block.

The only time I'd be using a fireball against Stryker is if he's throwing a grenade, that's a favorable trade for Sheeva as her fireball is 12% and Stryker's grenade is 9% or I'd do down 4 fireball up close where he doesn't have time to counterzone.

The only way this match is a problem for Sheeva is if she plays carelessly and predictably, but that's the case with everone. They both have to work just as hard to beat the other.

I've been on both sides of this match up countless times against AU IM DIGIMON and against PoliceBrutality and others for months on end. Stryker can't bully Sheeva like Cage or Kabal can, those are 6-4's for Sheeva, not Stryker. He's not on the same level of difficulty as those two characters for her. They might not agree with me though, but this is my assessment after playing some of the best Sheeva and Stryker players I know.

I'd be willing to discuss and explain any and all matches in my chart and will explain them to the best of my ability.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
That's just not true, Sheeva has way more than armor moves going for her. That's an oversimplification of the character, Stryker checks Sheeva and Sheeva checks Stryker.

If Sheeva's throwing out random fireballs and trying to zone him, she's not fighting Stryker right. This is like spending the fight trying to zone Smoke or Raiden, it's asking for trouble and it's not how you fight the character. That's a non-issue really.

Also, unless the Sheeva player is being really predictable, you're not going to be roll tossing out of telestomp on reaction. The odds of doing an enhanced move at the exact same time as another player are very slim(as you said above), it wouldn't make a match up move from even to bad. Do you want to know why? If anyone does armor at the same time as another character, it will cancel out both moves..

Sheeva can punish any grenade tosses with a telestomp, which gets her in and up close, they're pretty much equally slow/fast in terms of speed. Stryker isn't going to be running cirlces around Sheeva up close, especially with that armor of hers.

They can both counterzone each other, Sheeva with telestomp and Stryker with roll toss.

Gun cancels can evade stomps and gunshots can sometimes punish predictable telestomps, but if people get predictable, you can punish everything.

Her 2,1,2,f1 grab n punch can set up a throw attempt, fireball etc. if she hits you with it crouching, it jails and she gets to low grab you and get a 40+% combo. Her mix ups are of similar speed to Stryker as well as her damage and overall normals.

This also doesn't take into account that Sheeva can steer her landing spot for her telestomp, meaning she can land behind Stryker, on top of him or in front of him, opening up greater set ups and mix up potential, not to mention it's an unblockable. The mind games of Quan Chi's stomp, but not full combo punishable on block.

The only time I'd be using a fireball against Stryker is if he's throwing a grenade, that's a favorable trade for Sheeva as her fireball is 12% and Stryker's grenade is 9% or I'd do down 4 fireball up close where he doesn't have time to counterzone.

The only way this match is a problem for Sheeva is if she plays carelessly and predictably, but that's the case with everone. They both have to work just as hard to beat the other.

I've been on both sides of this match up countless times against AU IM DIGIMON and against PoliceBrutality and others for months on end. Stryker can't bully Sheeva like Cage or Kabal can, those are 6-4's for Sheeva, not Stryker. He's not on the same level of difficulty as those two characters for her. They might not agree with me though, but this is my assessment after playing some of the best Sheeva and Stryker players I know.

I'd be willing to discuss and explain any and all matches in my chart and will explain them to the best of my ability.

Good points, i guess i haven't fought a good sheevea yet but i do know i can(and have on a number of times) beat her EN grabs with EN roll out i don't know how i do it but i do know my move starts right after hers and i get my move off from the trade off i would show it but i have no way to post a video

Espio

Kokomo
Why is sub-sero in favor of stryker i just wana know? Not saying ur wrong just curious.
I wrote a really long response, but I'd like to condense it down to a few sentences. You're basically forced to play by his rules as Stryker. Your zoning is really unsafe and unreliable and you cannot really rushdown Sub-Zero effectively either.

Zoners like Kitana, Kenshi, Kabal and Sindel don't have to play by his rules, they play by their own due to their projectile speed and recovery being overall better.

It's not horrible, it's just that Stryker has to really think outside the box on how he approaches Sub-Zero. If you can lame it out better than he can after you get the life lead, you're golden. The match up is just very boring tbh.

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
I wrote a really long response, but I'd like to condense it down to a few sentences. You're basically forced to play by his rules as Stryker. Your zoning is really unsafe and unreliable and you cannot really rushdown Sub-Zero effectively either.

Zoners like Kitana, Kenshi, Kabal and Sindel don't have to play by his rules, they play by their own due to their projectile speed and recovery being overall better.

It's not horrible, it's just that Stryker has to really think outside the box on how he approaches Sub-Zero. If you can lame it out better than he can after you get the life lead, you're golden. The match up is just very boring tbh.
All of Strykers bad matchups are boring as fuck. They all consist of bad game design meets even worse game design.

Espio

Kokomo
This character write up will include videos, comparison of tools, and little nuances about the match up. I wanted to do this to hopefully increase knowledge, level up in the match up for all players involved and just for fun because I found this to be a very interesting project.
Before I begin, I wanted to give a big thanks to the following people:
@Rampage254 For running this match up with me for literally hours the past month or so lol, it has been a lot of fun and I've learned so much from playing him and I hope I did the same in return :). Special thanks for letting me use the videos of our matches for visual demonstration of how the match up plays out.
@STB Chongo For proof reading and helping me test stuff (stay free).
@Thead @AestheticLove GAMETIME Mr. Mileena Blind_Man VSunF For running this match up with me and their feedback/thoughts have been very helpful, thanks everyone :).
Without further delay, here's my write up on Stryker versus Jade:
Stryker V.S. Jade

Stryker versus Jade is an interesting match up for each of them due to both characters specializing in counterzoning. Flash and roll toss insure that neither character can effectively zone each other, this causes the match up to be extremely footsie based and good reads, spacing, and baiting are the main focus.

Both characters are essentially equal when it comes to rushdown due to them having similar speed of normals and high hitting strings. Due to them both having a lot of high hitting normals, it is easy for both characters to poke each other out of their pressure. Stryker and Jade both have fairly slow mid hitting normals/strings.

Damage output for Stryker and Jade is roughly similar off of their bread and butter combos, they both have a damage output around the 36-39% range off a jump in punch combo starter without meter. Their meter based combos do roughly the same damage as well in the 42-44% range for one bar. Meter building for both characters is fairly equal, both can build meter well at all parts of the screen, including mid-screen and full screen. Jade is more meter reliant than Stryker, but she gets more for her meter with her armored combo launching staff overhead and ex glow. Stryker’s mix ups off of his projectile zoning are better and cost no meter to perform on the flipside and he also has a good armor move in roll toss to get out of up close and zoning pressure that is only -7 on block. Additionally, both have larger hitboxes, which makes it easier to land jump ins on each other.

Match Up Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_455730&feature=iv&src_vid=NTm6iZnGmms&v=DatnTtm07Ys#t=1s

Birdsongs versus Espio

http://www.twitch.tv/charliemurphy41/b/354768502
Starts at 29:28 then a break then resumes at 35:54-1:02:00

Below is a couple unique tidbits, many of which are specific to Stryker and Jade for what they can do to counter each other’s options.

Stryker’s Counters/Options:
1. Stryker can roll under Jade’s shadow kick and her straight and upward boomerangs, which limits her zoning pressure.
2. Gun cancels can be used to bait flash and boomerangs from Jade and set up Stryker’s mix ups off jump ins, projectile zoning, and roll toss.
3. Stryker can punish whiffed up 3 for full combo with gun shot.
4. The combination of roll toss and gun cancels make Jade commit to dealing with one of Stryker’s options or the other as if she tries to check roll toss with low rang, she can be jumped in on and if she focuses on jump ins, she has to deal with roll toss if she whiffs or guesses wrong.
5. Stryker can punish poorly spaced back 2 on block from Jade with 1,1, gun shot variations or standing 4 easily due to standing 4’s range and being 8 frames.
6. Roll toss can be used to catch Jade as she performs staff overhead or on a whiffed up 3.
7. Stryker can interrupt the strings of standing 3/back 1(right here) staff overhead and punish with 1, 2, gun shot, down 4, roll toss.

8. Gun cancel into grenade can be used to hit Jade as flash wears off if timed well, which leads to 2% chip or 9% on hit, which would make the trade in Stryker’s favor damage wise since grenades do 9% on hit and rangs do 8% on hit.
9. Ex roll toss can be used to punish ex boomerang pressure and the trade will be in Stryker’s favor since ex roll toss does more damage at 16% than two hits of any variation of ex boomerangs.

Jade counters/options
1. Jade can use flash in combination with shadow kicks to punish Stryker’s zoning attempts when in range.

2. Jade can use ex glow to get a full combo punish on roll toss and ex glow beats ex roll toss’ armor.

3. Jade can use ex glow to check Stryker’s plus on block gun cancel options such as 1, 2 gun cancel and down 4 gun cancel.

4. Low boomerangs stuff Stryker’s roll toss.

5. Up 3 can be used to make roll toss whiff, which grants Jade a blockstring or throw attempt, while preventing Stryker from building the additional meter and chip damage if she blocks it.

6. Jade can punish a blocked baton sweep that is not spaced well with 1,2 shadow kick/staff grab or throw, ex version of baton sweep is safe from this option since it is only -4.

7. Well timed back 2 can be used to punish roll toss on wake up.

To conclude, both characters have strong answers for each other’s zoning, rushdown, defensive footsies and counterzoning tools. Stryker and Jade can both frustrate each other because of their similar character designs, making this one of the most balanced and unusual match ups in the game.

(INB4 TL;DR)

Discuss, share your strategies, experiences etc :).

Espio

Kokomo
Okay so anyways, I will be doing at least three more character write ups over the next couple weeks for Shang Tsung, Sektor, and Sindel for those interested, if anybody else would like to do character write ups please let me know.

I know a lot of people might not care about the match up, but I did this one first because I know it the best and it was the easiest to do because of that understanding, but expect those between now and mid February.

Just trying to help level up the community and promote knowlede here.

Matches with Blind_Man have been added.

Additionally, matches with STB Shujinkydink v.s. STB TakeAChance have also been included in the original post.

I seen that you tagged me, but it didn't give me an alert.
Rampage254, see sometimes it chooses to tag people, other times it doesn't lol. I have no idea why.