What's new

General/Other Stryker Buffs Thread

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Hey guys, we know stryker got buffed in the last patch but let's face it, our cop is still struggling to hold his own against the mid and top tier chars. What do you think he will need to give him an even better fighting chance? I tried to see how his current movesets can be improved rather than asking for something entirely new (*cough* his taser *cough*). I tried to be reasonable for my requested buffs and I would appreciate if you can do the same as well lol. So enough rambling and let's get to it.

Here are my requested buffs:

Standing 4 - This move should have been similar to Dahlsim standing RH in Street Fighter 4. During it's active frame, the hurtbox of stryker's head should be almost non existent leaving only the torso part vulnerable to projectiles and super moves. As it stands, characters with ridiculous JP hitbox beat standing 4 (i.e. Scorpion, Ermac, and even sub-zero). I understand this will make stryker a pain in the ass to get in on him, so to make it fair I would keep the same speed but decrease the damage by 1 or 2%.

Grenades low and high: At jumping distance, throwing a grenade is pretty much a random guess. It shouldn't be this way. My current problem with grenades it that they are pretty much useless and can be either jumped over (low grenade) or whiff (high grenade). To be honest, I can live with that. My biggest problem with grenades is the starting frame. When trying to play footsies from jumping distance (which I think is the ideal place to be with stryker), baiting or making a decent read on a jumping and expect to counter it with grenades is pretty much impossible. they take way too long to come out. The opponent has time to land a jumping punch and interrupt them. Thus, making it useless at this range. Grenades shouldn't be a random guess but something that we should be able to use on reaction. So to make this happen just reduce the starting frame a little, not by much. I dont want them to be instant just like Kabal ground saw, but strict in a way where if we hesitate after reading the jumping we can get punish.

Standing 3: While some are asking for it to be an overhead, I would rather have more stagger on it to allow a safe jumping punch. Something similar to Kitana's fan move (I forgot the name). Keep the speed the same way so that way we dont abuse it.

B1(2)2: Make the second hit of the B122 string an overhead. Also, give the second hit a little more stagger as well to allow B1(2) to be cancelled into baton sweep. This can help slightly and give opponent a reason to block high rather than the automatic low.

B3: This one I think Stryker needs the most, make it FASTER. It doesn't matter if the opponent can see the overhead coming from a mile away, the true potential of this string lies in the start up speed. B3 can be linked in EN Gunshot, and roll toss. One thing I just found out while trying B3 into low grenades is that sometimes the opponent can block the low grenades and sometimes it's a combo. Could this be this move gives random advantage? either way, no stryker play is crazy enough to try low grenade after landing a B3 just for the sake of random advantage lol. Back to my point now...so in other to give stryker a fighting chance back, give B3 enough speed to make it a guessing game after a gun cancel shenanigan.

So let's recap. Standing 4 and grenades should make an opponent think twice before jumping in on stryker. Turn him into a one man tank where it's hard to penetrate, but once you get in he will have to work to get out of pressure. Standing 3 should give him a chance to pressure back (let's face it he doesn't have any lol). Second hit of B122 to be an overhead for further pressure. And B3 to be a little faster to improve his mind game/pressure.

What do you guys think? would that make him overpowered? If yes, which one(s) you think is unreasonable?

Nice to have:
- Increase the speed of standing 2
- make the last hit of 23(2) an overhead
- make the last hit of B2,1 and overhead (lol) I gotta admit that one doesnt make sense lol

Overpower section:
- B2 hits mid
- Grenades are instant just like Kabal ground saw
- Roll toss hits overhead (that one I got came up with after NRS made Noob' shadow an overhead - dont get me started on that one)
- Armor on EN Grenades

EDIT: GIVE HIM HIS DAMN TASER BACK!!!

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Yay for efficiency:).

Disclaimer: I will play Stryker till this game dies, so when I post about my possible buffs, I'm not saying I'm dropping him unless he gets them, Stryker's my guy good or bad and thick or thin I will support him. I want him back next game.

If I can get to more tournaments, I will be using him all the way.

My suggestions:

1.Grenade speed and recovery similar to Sindel's projectile speed: Sindel's zoning is solid, yet giving Stryker's a similar speed wouldn't be op because he cannot direct his grenades to cover the whole screen like Sindel can. In the current version of the game several rushdown characters can zone Stryker back rather effectively forcing him to come forward with roll toss in hopes of counter zoning. Gun cancels help, but they're not the be all end all.

2. One fast advancing combo starter that hits crouching opponents: This is a big thing for me and would move Stryker to mid tier, almost all the characters on the roster have a fast advancing normal combo starter (yes even Jade does). Whiff punishing with Stryker is hard to do and when you do, you get weak damage in the teen percentages at best. It would also make people respect Stryker in the current game, it's all about whiff punishing now. If he could actually punish things like Reptile's dash or really blow up Kitana's forward 2,1 like Cage can on whiff with decent damage, he'd command respect from the roster, like other characters do.

These are my suggestions, some might think it's much, but I think it would leave him at mid tier, decent and competitve, but not overpowered to where he's ridiculous. Mid tier is all you can reasonably ask for in a character and I'd be content. I definitely never want him to be cheap or am asking for him to be top 5, just mid tier, I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

Hey guys, we know stryker got buffed in the last patch but let's face it, our cop is still struggling to hold his own against the mid and top tier chars. What do you think he will need to give him an even better fighting chance? I tried to see how his current movesets can be improved rather than asking for something entirely new (*cough* his taser *cough*). I tried to be reasonable for my requested buffs and I would appreciate if you can do the same as well lol. So enough rambling and let's get to it.

Here are my requested buffs:

Standing 4 - This move should have been similar to Dahlsim standing RH in Street Fighter 4. During it's active frame, the hurtbox of stryker's head should be almost non existent leaving only the torso part vulnerable to projectiles and super moves. As it stands, characters with ridiculous JP hitbox beat standing 4 (i.e. Scorpion, Ermac, and even sub-zero). I understand this will make stryker a pain in the ass to get in on him, so to make it fair I would keep the same speed but decrease the damage by 1 or 2%.

I like this idea alot, I never was familiar with Dhalsim's attacks, but it would actually make sense, Stryker doesn't have a whole lot to keep people off of him. His lack of range and speed of his standing 1 make anti-airing with that difficult, his down 1 is good though. The damage I would leave only because several people have anti-air moves that lead to 25-30% damage such as Kung Lao, Kabal and Kitana, while his roundhouse into roll toss does like 18-19% damage in its current form.

Grenades low and high: At jumping distance, throwing a grenade is pretty much a random guess. It shouldn't be this way. My current problem with grenades it that they are pretty much useless and can be either jumped over (low grenade) or whiff (high grenade). To be honest, I can live with that. My biggest problem with grenades is the starting frame. When trying to play footsies from jumping distance (which I think is the ideal place to be with stryker), baiting or making a decent read on a jumping and expect to counter it with grenades is pretty much impossible. they take way too long to come out. The opponent has time to land a jumping punch and interrupt them. Thus, making it useless at this range. Grenades shouldn't be a random guess but something that we should be able to use on reaction. So to make this happen just reduce the starting frame a little, not by much. I dont want them to be instant just like Kabal ground saw, but strict in a way where if we hesitate after reading the jumping we can get punish.

Yeah, honestly I don't have much to add to this the start up should be reduced, the buzzsaw speed would be much, but it would be nice if several rushdown characters couldn't keep up with Stryker's zoning, but many can. No complaints overall, you should be able to make the read from jump distance on your opponent's jump in you should be able to punish accordingly.

Standing 3: While some are asking for it to be an overhead, I would rather have more stagger on it to allow a safe jumping punch. Something similar to Kitana's fan move (I forgot the name). Keep the speed the same way so that way we dont abuse it.

The move is Kitana's cuttter:). I honestly wouldn't be opposed to making it like cutter, though a frame reduction to 15 frames was my suggestion, just so you can counterpoke better with it and extend juggles longer off of it into the reset, I'd support your change here though.

B1(2)2: Make the second hit of the B122 string an overhead. Also, give the second hit a little more stagger as well to allow B1(2) to be cancelled into baton sweep. This can help slightly and give opponent a reason to block high rather than the automatic low.

I like this a lot, this was one of my gripes with Stryker, there's no real incentive to block high against him aside from his telegraphing overhead that you'll see a mile away.

B3: This one I think Stryker needs the most, make it FASTER. It doesn't matter if the opponent can see the overhead coming from a mile away, the true potential of this string lies in the start up speed. B3 can be linked in EN Gunshot, and roll toss. One thing I just found out while trying B3 into low grenades is that sometimes the opponent can block the low grenades and sometimes it's a combo. Could this be this move gives random advantage? either way, no stryker play is crazy enough to try low grenade after landing a B3 just for the sake of random advantage lol. Back to my point now...so in other to give stryker a fighting chance back, give B3 enough speed to make it a guessing game after a gun cancel shenanigan.

Back 3 at 15 frames too, a reasonable speed for a low starter imo if it was sped up( I figure why not put a number to it). I was tinkering with back 3 into grenade and the properties are weird as you mentioned.

I like this one too, Stryker needs to be able to make people sweat and that's a big part of it, not having fast enough mix ups to troll effectively after a gun cancel.

So let's recap. Standing 4 and grenades should make an opponent think twice before jumping in on stryker. Turn him into a one man tank where it's hard to penetrate, but once you get in he will have to work to get out of pressure. Standing 3 should give him a chance to pressure back (let's face it he doesn't have any lol). Second hit of B122 to be an overhead for further pressure. And B3 to be a little faster to improve his mind game/pressure.

What do you guys think? would that make him overpowered? If yes, which one(s) you think is unreasonable?

None of that would make him overpowered, he'd possibly be in the high teens to low 20's range tier wise in my opinion, he wouldn't move to top 10, but he'd be in a very comfy place:).

Nice to have:
1- Increase the speed of standing 2
2- make the last hit of 23(2) an overhead
3- make the last hit of B2,1 and overhead (lol) I gotta admit that one doesnt make sense lol

1.Increasing the speed would be fine and wouldn't be bad for standing 2, nothing to add.

2.I'm neutral on 2,3,2, I'd honestly just like them to get rid of the gigantic gap that allows people to uppercut, jump out and full combo punish even if you land the mix up on a standing opponent due to the last 2's big gap. I mean if you could just counterpoke it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but it's more than that.

3.Every character should have holes, but when you land a combo and you get punished for landing it on a blocking opponent is a bit ridiculous, if you whiff it and your opponent punishes it, that's a good read on their part and props to them. Every time I use that string I feel like I'm getting away with murder, I use it sparingly, but still.

back 2 a as an overhead could make logical sense and since the string isn't super fast it wouldn't be overpowered or cheap, it would be an incentive for people to block high.

Overpower section:
- B2 hits mid
- Grenades are instant just like Kabal ground saw
- Roll toss hits overhead (that one I got came up with after NRS made Noob' shadow an overhead - dont get me started on that one)
- Armor on EN Grenades

Armor on grenades wouldn't be overpowered, no more overpowered than them dipping Kenshi in vat of armor:p.

Roll toss as an overhead and grenades like buzzsaw would be and possibly and back 2 might be though I'm not sure.

EDIT: GIVE HIM HIS DAMN TASER BACK!!!
Are you talking about his Armageddon taser?

LEGEND

YES!
PoliceBrutality

3 granting free jump like kitana's Cutter and B1(2)2 hitting mid would be really nice, honestly theres no reason why this shouldn't be

the other buffs seem kinda pointless. 4 isn't meant to stop cross-ups, having it stuff all jump attacks fine. B3's slow speed allows for anti wake-up setups, it would be much harder if not impossible to do them if it was any faster

Grenades are a fullscreen tool, i wouldn't mind a buff for them but they are fine the way they are

2 Needs to be faster, even with it at 13-15 frames 2-G/C and all the other close up G/C options would just be a shittier version of Kabal's pressure and all of Kabal's other tools are better as is.
-

Lets face it, There are no explanations why Stryker is the way is his other than NRS not wanting an unpopular character to be any good. Baraka, Jade, Sheeva, Kano ect.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
PoliceBrutality

Lets face it, There are no explanations why Stryker is the way is his other than NRS not wanting an unpopular character to be any good. Baraka, Jade, Sheeva, Kano ect.
I didn't mention this but I agree. It's odd that pretty much all of the least popular characters are all bad and the most popular are either top or mid tier.

The one exception to this is Scorpion, which I don't think he's bottom 5 though.

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
I've always said the second 2 in his b1,2,2 should be an overhead lol, and yea, his b3 should be faster. That's really the only 2 buffs I ask for.

Best buf u ppl need is dropping this char thats only good online cause of the less frame delays this character is bad and not viable he was cool once in umk3 times change tho.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Best buf u ppl need is dropping this char thats only good online cause of the less frame delays this character is bad and not viable he was cool once in umk3 times change tho.
Stryker's worse in lag not better.

Also, we've been playing him for over a year...obviously if we were going to drop him by now we already would have.

Stryker's tournament viable in my opinion, I just need to get better.

Stryker's worse in lag not better.

Also, we've been playing him for over a year...obviously if we were going to drop him by now we already would have.

Stryker's tournament viable in my opinion, I just need to get better.
no hes like scorpion more lag harder they get to beat

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
no hes like scorpion more lag harder they get to beat
Do you even play the character? If you don't play him I'd appreciate if you didn't tell me how good my character is in lag, he's better offline, you cannot be serious in actually saying he's better online he's NOT.

I play the character online and offline and have done so for over a year my gun cancels, my combos and zoning are so much better offline, I'm not going to argue with you about it though very few characters actually benefit from lag, Stryker is not one of them.

LEGEND

YES!
Do you even play the character? If you don't play the him I'd appreciate if you didn't tell me how good my character is in lag, he's better offline, you cannot be serious in actually saying he's better online he's NOT.

I play the character online and offline and have done so for over a year my gun cancels, my combos and zoning are are so much better offline, I'm not going to argue with you about it though very few characters actually benefit from lag, Stryker is not one of them.
i don't think i've ever seen that guy make a coherent post, pay him no attention

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
PoliceBrutality

3 granting free jump like kitana's Cutter and B1(2)2 hitting mid would be really nice, honestly theres no reason why this shouldn't be

the other buffs seem kinda pointless. 4 isn't meant to stop cross-ups, having it stuff all jump attacks fine. B3's slow speed allows for anti wake-up setups, it would be much harder if not impossible to do them if it was any faster

Grenades are a fullscreen tool, i wouldn't mind a buff for them but they are fine the way they are

2 Needs to be faster, even with it at 13-15 frames 2-G/C and all the other close up G/C options would just be a shittier version of Kabal's pressure and all of Kabal's other tools are better as is.
-

Didn't a lot back 3 2's anti-wake up set ups get screwed up when they added the 10-11 frames of invulnerability on wakeups?

LEGEND

YES!
Didn't a lot back 3 2's anti-wake up set ups get screwed up when they added the 10-11 frames of invulnerability on wakeups?
they still work, you gotta know which wake-ups it works against and which ones you try to combat with G/C enders or a D4 or S3 into :x Baton/Roll toss. B3(-:xBaton-)2 is still the main tool

maaaan, This is why i'm so depressed about Stryker. He takes way to much effort to be mid tier. hmmm

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
they still work, you gotta know which wake-ups it works against and which ones you try to combat with G/C enders or a D4 or S3 into :x Baton/Roll toss. B3(-:xBaton-)2 is still the main tool

maaaan, This is why i'm so depressed about Stryker. He takes way to much effort to be mid tier. hmmm
Some people like that baton for X-Ray I never use it I am becoming a fan of ending rounds with NJP12:x

LEGEND

YES!
Some people like that baton for X-Ray I never use it I am becoming a fan of ending rounds with NJP12:x
Stryker is entirely reliant on meter, there is no reason to use an X-ray outside a confirmed win. Taking a round doesn't mean much if you have no meter for round 3

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
PoliceBrutality

-

I dont mean for 4 to stop cross ups that would be ridiculous. Im referring more like after making a good read on a jumping and you absolutely know for sure that standing 4 will beat it and to your surprise it just get stuffs by a jumping punch. His hurtbox is way too big. If you look at stryker's standing 4 speed and hitbox, this move should have never been able to get stuff except by cross ups (of course if you do it too late you can get punished). I know it is impossible to fix the hitbox/hurboxes otherwise NRS would have fix Mileena's D4 spamming. That's why im a major advocate for NRS to revise the hitboxes for the next game so characters like stryker do not suffer from bad design.

I said it before but I often compare stryker to guile. Although guile only have to super move, the way he keeps opponent away with his normals are what makes him shine in my opinion. Stryker has that same potential. Im ok with him not being able to constantly apply pressure. I like how I can get someone off my face by standing 4 or EN roll toss. I just hate the fact that when it's time for him to make up the life he's lost, it's a pain in the butt because he doesnt have any real mix ups up close to do so :-(

I understand your B3 argument about stuffing certain wake up attacks, but I dont think increasing the speed should change that. The active frame should still be the same, the only thing that needs to be adjusted is the timing. If anything the speed might make it even better IMO as the active frame would be out soon to confirm into whatever follow up. I always thought the key to that setup is the fact that B3 stays active longer than most normals (cant remember if it's B3 or S2).

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Espio872

No, im referring to what they already gave him and took out because they thought he would have too many projectiles

Oh okay I remember that magazine image from prior to release, I was wondering their reasoning behind its removal, but I presumed their reasoning was to make him more rushdown oriented (till I realized that wasn't correct either lol).

Is there a list of the wake ups this is effective on? I might look into this..I stopped pressuring on wake up with back 3 after that patch change, I must have been timing it wrong and doing it on the wrong wake ups. I'll go back and try some of this out.

Hard work is fun, especially when you can overcome the odds. Of course I'm inclined to agree, it's why mid tier is out of his reach.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Hard work is fun, especially when you can overcome the odds. Of course I'm inclined to agree, it's why mid tier is out of his reach.
Not to the point where you literally have to be a psychic. Maining stryker is like being stuck in a limbo. You know his limitation because of his bad designs, but at the same time you cant stop playing him because deep down you know there is something there that can push him to mid tier. There is always that feeling that he has an untapped potential and to reach that potential you are only allowed to make 10% of mistake per match (no per round, per match). All your reads and baiting have to be on point. That's why I can boldly say that I understand all of my fellow's frustration when it comes to stryker...and also why ppl never really focus on him longer than a mentos lol

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Not to the point where you literally have to be a psychic. Maining stryker is like being stuck in a limbo. You know his limitation because of his bad designs, but at the same time you cant stop playing him because deep down you know there is something there that can push him to mid tier. There is always that feeling that he has an untapped potential and to reach that potential you are only allowed to make 10% of mistake per match (no per round, per match). All your reads and baiting have to be on point. That's why I can boldly say that I understand all of my fellow's frustration when it comes to stryker...and also why ppl never really focus on him longer than a mentos lol
I know man, true enough:(. I just try to be optimistic because I know I love playing him and I don't know what to do...if not him than who would I play?

As someone who has played Kitana, Cage, and Sonya...I sadly agree that there is much less room for error, even if you screw up a lot, if you touch your opponent once sometimes with them you can take over half their life bar off of your combos or chip damage.

As for his potential, I agree, but I just don't think I'm good enough to get to his untapped potential and I don't know if I ever will isolate it...but I'm going to try.

Stryker has probably helped us grow into more competent players due to him having less room for error, but the frustrations are certainly there...everyone who I've talked to who got intrigued with Stryker after we've played they've quickly put him down after a short run too lol.

I think he's like Jade in that he's neither zoner nor rushdown...he's hard to understand