What's new

Street Fighter V teaser

trufenix

bye felicia
Alright, now we got a fucking game to talk about. Jesus christ why does revealing game info have to be like pulling teeth nowadays.

-Not wild about Ultras being the only supers, but the lack of any sort of stupid cancel mechanic is nice.
-I personally love the slower pace and heavier weighted on normals. Looks like no stupid mashable jabs / shorts and no good luck reacting to this 3 frame normals into big damage. Hope that also means the death of 1 frame links as the gatekeeper to big damage.
-Looks like we finally got an answer on that 1p/2p over the head thing too since round no longer resets sides. So much for a tag mode.
-As much as I love Charlie, all this does is put the final nail on the plots coffin. At best this is a 2i prequel, if not just a complete snk style dream match.

Game looks mad rough, though so this is probably just barely indicative of final product. Can't even select characters in this build.

mike and combofiend are both great players
but for some reason mike ( he was playing ryu ? ) missed the most easiest links with ryu
how come?
did they make the combos more difficult now because an experienced player like mike would never miss easy stuff like 2x cr LP into srk or jp HK st HP into tatsu and stuff
ryus combos kinda look like chain combos which are hella slow like sfxt which is a bad thing
but thats the alpha stage and there is tons of time to improve the gameplay
my hopes are rly high for this game!

I doubt combos are harder. They literally can't get much harder than they were in SFIV.

It was likely just different timing that caused the drops, attacks seem to have more recovery frames.

Timing might actually be easier for all we know. Most other fighting games that came out since SFIV have had a more welcoming combo systems, and have since shaken the delusion that making combos hard is a good way to balance the game. It's not 2007 anymore.

Reactions: Mst
I don't mind the combo system it was the shortcuts which annoyed me the most.
I just noticed you was not replying to me lol.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I'm honestly surprised SF beat MK to the punch on something.

Stage interactable cosmetics.

I never even thought of that but that is a very MK-esque feature and i'm surprised they didn't go for it first.

Of course in MK that'd be a saw blade are a chunk of flesh bitten out somewhere, or a bunch of leaches stuck all over a character's body.

trufenix

bye felicia
I'm honestly surprised SF beat MK to the punch on something.

Stage interactable cosmetics.

I never even thought of that but that is a very MK-esque feature and i'm surprised they didn't go for it first.

Of course in MK that'd be a saw blade are a chunk of flesh bitten out somewhere, or a bunch of leaches stuck all over a character's body.
MK has had characters covered in blood and mud and weapons and painskins since MKDA. You could literally stab your weapon into someone and watch them bleed out in that game.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
It's not even just recovery. Fireballs noticeably started up slower. Like, you can't be serious about that...

If this stuff stays like this well into development, there's going to be a lot of cause for concern.
It won't. Scorpion and company also have(had) moves that were what, +25 on block? Crazy shit like that is bound to be in alpha/beta stages. I think if anything the match footage should be taken more as a proof of concept than a for sure thing.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
It won't. Scorpion and company also have(had) moves that were what, +25 on block? Crazy shit like that is bound to be in alpha/beta stages. I think if anything the match footage should be taken more as a proof of concept than a for sure thing.
That's NRS, though. Go back and watch SFxT's pre-alpha demonstration, then watch SFxT as it currently exists. Much of the problems that were shown early on, such as movement and general speed of the game, did not really change within that time frame. Which is why this worries me.

d3v

SRK
The only thing that really needs to be addressed is the walkspeed.

Everything is fine the way it is, especially the slower jabs and Ryu's slower normals, considering the damage overall is higher. This means that the pace of the game itself isn't as slow as the movement would lead you to believe.

EDIT: Alot of the "slowness" isn't because the normals per-se are slow. It's how the game seems to handle hitstop. Instead of just freezing the game for a few frames, it just slows down the recovery animation during the frames where hitstop would be to smoothen the animations.

Last edited:

Flagg

Noob
Now that i've watched the game on YouTube in 1080P 60 frames a second, i've changed my mind.

The game looks really nice. Yeah it looks a bit slow, that might have been done for the benefit of the viewer to follow it a bit better. Chun Li looked really nice.

Charlie at the end, with a jewel in his head very reminiscent of Urien. I wonder if this will tie together the whole Charlie, Guile, Abel and Remy saga now. Urien been playing God and these characters are all clones of someone...

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
That's not the same thing.
His comparison isn't much of a stretch, though. Dynamic changes to the characters' appearance during a match. Can't compare too specifically because MK doesn't do accessories. But they've been doing their version for going on 13 years.

d3v

SRK
Sorry for this long post, especially since it was all a response to slow jabs. lol.

When I saw that in the game(or didn't see--were they in there?) it hurt me bad. The rapid jabs are certainly nowhere close to reality, but as a kid I found them very satisfying, and I still do as an adult. I don't know if you play/played sports, but I did as a kid, and as a teenager: baseball, basketball, running, jumping(long jump), all kinds of stuff--anyone remember the slap hands game? All of those activities honed my reactions as well as those horrifyingly difficult nes games that required pixel perfect timing. For example, I remember beating Mike Tyson as an 8 year old(using the code) after I figured out his moves synced to the music. Still, it was a bitch with my little kid reactions and brain, but I still did it. Anyway, all that required good reactions.

Just about the fastest thing I can think of having to react to is hitting a baseball. I remember going from teeball, to slow pitch, all the while waiting with anticipation to play fast pitch. I was godlike at teeball and slow pitch. lol. I was ass at fast pitch. I could not hit the ball. All this ties to videogames, specifically Street Fighter, and MK because I realized early on that I could use my sports background in fighting games. the parts of the game, especially stuff like rapid jabs were like running. The strategy of the game was like basketball's constantly changing patterns. The zoning and anti airing was like slow pitch! The fighting games had so many fun 'sports-like' elements.

I think this aspect of fighters gets overlooked because (I'm generalizing) I don't think too many people in the fgc played sports. When I was growing up, the arcade was, like, not where the cool kids and the jocks hung out, with the exception of myself, but I wouldn't really consider myself a jock. I could just play jock games and arcade games.

Anyway, apologies for this long shit, but if the fgc has to grow by making Street Fighter and MK slow pitch, I understand the reasoning, but it will lose a lot of what makes the games great imo, and pretty much just become all obvious setups and flash, like Tekken. Like, put it like this, the one would think the Pro All-Star games would be the most awesome games ever, right? All the stars playing together, doing crazy shit all the time...those games are usually ass.
Missing the point by a mile.

The reason we like the slower jabs is due to how SFIV in general bogged down due to how safe and useful the jabs/shorts were in that game. Not only were they fast, but you got so much out of them since they were easier to link out of. Add in the fact that we had almost no true block strings out of crouching forward/strong, and you had a game that bogged down to turtling until players got into jab/short range wherein players then try to cr.jab link into whatever. In the older (better) Street Fighter games, you almost never tried to fish anything out of cr.jab/short simply because cr.strong/forward were so much better. The game didn't bog down because it was more about footsies from mid range, controlling space, and fishing for confirms/counterhits from mid range - none of this turtle until you get to point blank jab range. Watch a match of Super Turbo, or Alpha 2, or 3rd Strike. Nobody's really going in and fishing for confirms of crouching jabs. Instead, they're more active, footsie oriented with players duking it out at crouching forward range.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
I wonder if Sony will influence the game in any way in terms of making the game more casual. They obviously see that games like MK sell well, partly due to their slightly more noob friendly mechanics.

d3v

SRK
Superior to MK2 and 3 design. lol. But, seriously, it is my favorite Street Fighter. This is why: I never cared for the intricacies of the Street Fighter 2 series because they didn't seem like they made common sense, and I did not like the strict timing of moves. Super Turbo is entertaining as hell to watch, but try to learn some of the things high level players are doing and it may take a long, long time. Contrast that to fadc~Ultra and it might take you a few hours.

Cool things happen in a game like ST, but you have to have deep knowledge of how the engine works in order to understand how to produce them. I don't like that, and I didn't like it when the games were in arcades. It's not purely logic based. I cannot speak on the Alpha series and intricacies (not referring to the isms or any mechanics), but it was a more fluid series from a movement standpoint. And I don't like the Street Fighter 3 series. I like the concept of parrying, but I do not like that it's free and always available. And the strict timing is back and feels even stricter, somehow. Also, the little engine nuiances are a prerequisite for becoming competent at the game. Street Fighter 4 quirks are more straightforward, and stuff like plinking is easy to understand. Plus, the leniency on certain attacks does a better job at evening out the disparity in depth knowledge between good players, and experienced players.
IV is absolutely one of the hardest to actually get into competitively due to how may esoteric things it introduces. First, there's the wonky input priority system that leads to plinks as well as all manner of bogus option selects that seem less about what your opponent does, and more about how you trick the system. ST on the other hand actually doesn't require that much in terms of stuff like that. The game is much more focused on fundamentals. You can take a character like Claw/Vega and win just by knowing how to poke properly alone. Alot of the in depth, engine related stuff was all match-up related and could easily be learned by just playing the game and learning the match-ups.

The other issue that makes IV tougher to get into is the higher execution required for damage. I've already mentioned linking off jabs and how you didn't need that in the other games. In addition to this are mechanics like FADC being required for ultras. In a game like 3rd Strike, you didn't need this kind of shit to it your SAs. Chun Li could just confirm her SA2 off a crouching forward and deal 40% damage. Not only did this make learning stuff needed for high level play easier, it also helped emphasize fundamental play more.

C-Sword

Noob
More info:

- Time / Weather effects in stages
- Release date : 2016, before the end of the fiscal year.
- Unreal Engine 4
- The new mechanic is named V-Trigger : You can change your stance.
- 16 characters
- No Super Street Fighter 2X + EX (Updates kinda like League of Legends / Killer Instinct)
- The story mode will be way much better, they know they fucked up with sf4.
- The PC version is here mostly because they want to bring the game to Latin America, South Asia, Africa...

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
More info:

- Time / Weather effects in stages
- Release date : 2016, before the end of the fiscal year.
- Unreal Engine 4
- The new mechanic is named V-Trigger : You can change your stance.
- 16 characters
- No Super Street Fighter 2X + EX (Updates kinda like League of Legends / Killer Instinct)
- The story mode will be way much better, they know they fucked up with sf4.
- The PC version is here mostly because they want to bring the game to Latin America, South Asia, Africa...
Yes a nice small roster

16 characters only ? I like a small and balanced roster but 16. That probably means no Guile or Poison or Cody for me. @C-Sword What is the source of this info exactly ?